HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:03 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
943 Posts
Discussion
800mm Warbirds

I'm thinking about buying a 800mm warbird. Right now I'm looking at two airframes: The Corsair or the Skyraider.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a360-800-a1-white-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a302-800-f4u-grey-arf.html

I'm leaning towards the Nitroplanes Airfield versions, but I see that Hobby King and Motion RC also have versions of these in similar sizes. Are all of these made by the same company and just rebranded? Is there a notable difference between the brands?

Anything else I should know about these aircraft/companies/size?
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:22 PM
Trees Are Stupid
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Had the 800mm FMS FW190...great plane...wide stance/large wheels.....very honest flyer...very robust trust me...not a single shortcoming except the glass 3 blade prop.

Brother had 2 FMS 800mm P40's...both were junk. Gear was too small, the front plastic facia shattered easily, had all the flight characteristics of an old boot, and the elevator has only one control horn on one side so it twisted the tail in a corkscrew and had uneven deflection which further complicated flight. WE HATED THEM

Having said that, I know nothing of the ones you are thinking of buying. Hope you are an experienced rc pilot...the 800mm series are not for beginners.
BeavisUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:04 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
50 Posts
I have had 3 of the FMS 800mm birds and still have 2, the original desert camo bf109 and the original 3 blade Skyraider. The 109 flys pretty good on 2s a little twitchy but much more forgiving than the V1 Tempest (sold it didn't like the way it flew), the Skyraider is the best flyer out of the 3 800mm (really 750mm) birds, nice speed on 2s haven't even felt the need for 3s, smooth flying, my favorite. The new airfield ones look much more scale.
mu5tanggt is offline Find More Posts by mu5tanggt
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2013
943 Posts
I hear a lot of talk about FMS. Are they the same company that makes the Airfield, just under a different name?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:45 PM
Trees Are Stupid
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2013
3,930 Posts
Yup...same company. If you are a beginner, you don't want an 800mm warbird. Been there, done that. The Champ is only $89...
BeavisUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BeavisUSMC
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,635 Posts
Wrong...not the same company, airfield and FMS parted ways quite some time back.

I have a few of the FMS 800mm planes, P40, Zero, Sky Raider....all V1 of the planes, and all fly just fantastic. There is one thing you have to know about the FMS and small planes in general they are not for the novice pilot....I would say the are not for an intermediate pilot. These are some very quick planes that fly like a real warbird, you need to keep the speed up. They will stall. But if your skill is there they are very fun to fly.

I know that NP is blowing out many of the airfield branded FMS planes, not quite sure what they have left....so my above statement while correct as of current new offerings, could be a little confusing. I would suggest you go to Motion or Diamond for your FMS gear, and go that route. They have great customer service and parts availability.

But bare in mind, these are very hot planes and not...NOT for the beginner....you will hate them and think they are junk.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Apr 2013
943 Posts
I'm not a beginner. No worries.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2004
65 Posts
Airfield is made by top hobby. just got my Tempest today and ready for maiden flight I'll keep you posted.
Brad Peters is offline Find More Posts by Brad Peters
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:57 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2013
564 Posts
Hype sells these things with a gyro system here in Germany, so I don't know how much more beginner-friendly that makes them.. P-51, Corsair, and a Trojan.. I'm kind of keen to try one, but with everybody saying how hard to fly they are...
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,820 Posts
All the Airfield 800mm is made by Top Hobby and all the Airfield 1100mm and 1450mm is made by A-RC
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:05 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,820 Posts
MotionRc and diamond Hobby sell all the new FMS 800mm V2
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,333 Posts
I seriously don't think they are crazy hard to fly. There is some basic rules that make these planes so much easier.

1. Get the cg right. When you get one, ask others what cg they are flying theirs at. Sometimes the cg in the manual is wrong. One simple question on here about cg can save you a lot of heartache.

2. Get a decent radio where you can adjust the throws and add in expo. This makes this planes less twitchy.

3. Keep your speed up in the turns.

Stick to those basic rules, and if you have a bit of experience with rc planes, you should be ok.

As first 800mm planes, I would stick to the T28, P-51 or the Desert Old Version Me109. They are all very stable and forgiving 800mm planes.

Don't let people put you off too much. Give it a go. They are a real hoot to fly.
Merlin Power is offline Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
I seriously don't think they are crazy hard to fly. There is some basic rules that make these planes so much easier.

1. Get the cg right. When you get one, ask others what cg they are flying theirs at. Sometimes the cg in the manual is wrong. One simple question on here about cg can save you a lot of heartache.

2. Get a decent radio where you can adjust the throws and add in expo. This makes this planes less twitchy.

3. Keep your speed up in the turns.

Stick to those basic rules, and if you have a bit of experience with rc planes, you should be ok.

As first 800mm planes, I would stick to the T28, P-51 or the Desert Old Version Me109. They are all very stable and forgiving 800mm planes.

Don't let people put you off too much. Give it a go. They are a real hoot to fly.
^^This^^

The great thing about this scale, or their smaller 650mm cousins, is any big soccer field is a flight field. I pull the wheels and belly land mine. I did a flap mod to my 800mm P-51, really slows it down for belly landings.

They are more twitchy and wind susceptible than an 1100 or 1400 warbird, but I too don't find them all that hard to fly. If you can handle a larger 4 channel warbird, these won't be a problem for you...

MotionRC has a fairly large selection of 800's, shipping is free, and their customer service can't be beat. https://www.motionrc.com/warbirds/
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:24 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,491 Posts
just thought i'd clarify - he's been flying a pz spit for a while. i'm sure ability is not an issue.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2013
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
just thought i'd clarify - he's been flying a pz spit for a while. i'm sure ability is not an issue.
Yeah, as I said a few posts up; I'm not too worried about skill with this. I may eat those words later, but I won't know until I try.

I keep seeing people mention Motion RC, but I really like the Navy Grey Corsair on Nitro Planes.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a302-800-f4u-grey-arf.html

Is there something worse about the Nitro Planes (Airfield) 800mm planes? Why is everyone suggesting Motion RC? Are the Motion RC versions "better"?