HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 05:41 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
Pre-Maiden

All finished, just a bit of checking and programming and it will be in the air. Going to use 3 modes, Takeoff / Normal / Landing.
TakeOff
Full rates on all surfaces, no aileron-rudder mix, 8 deg right rudder preset,15 deg of flaps down.

Normal
All surfaces on a single 3 position switch for rates, aileron differential, aileron-rudder mix.

Landing
15 deg of flaps down the rest controlled by a slider, full rates, no aileron mix, 75% exponential on the elevator.

All I need now is some decent weather, rain and wind at the moment, after all it is winter in the roaring 40s.
RCFlyingKiwi is online now Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:12 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
512 Posts
Very nice RCFlyingKiwi.

I like the covering scheme very much and you've done a great job on the landing gear.

I stupidly sold mine to a friend for a pittance and I've only ever seen him fly it once. If I could persuade him to sell it back to me I'd certainly attempt a new covering job such as yours.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:16 AM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
Hi Kiwi,
Can I suggest that you do NOT use flaps for your first takeoff. The model takes off very well without them and if you have too much flap you risk stalling. Play around with the flaps for takeoff once you have a bit of familiarity. Landing is different. Use all the flap travel you wish
Good luck.
tezact is offline Find More Posts by tezact
Old Jul 06, 2014, 04:39 AM
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
Thanks Tezat, usually approach a new plane very conservatively and certainly no flaps on the first flight, maybe try them at 100' but not low and slow. I'll post vid of how it goes.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 10:57 PM
Tezact
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Apr 2010
94 Posts
Kiwi,
Nice big High pressure system on its way over - make the most of it
Tezact
tezact is offline Find More Posts by tezact
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:43 AM
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
We have gale warnings for the next 2 days between the 2 systems, but the weekend is looking epic. Should have some vids soon.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 05:14 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post

I stupidly sold mine to a friend for a pittance and I've only ever seen him fly it once. If I could persuade him to sell it back to me I'd certainly attempt a new covering job such as yours.

Steve.
Yes, yes, yes !!!

Just this morning I bought the Pilatus back from my friend for slightly less than I sold it to him for. What a result!

I'm now going to search for a suitable scheme and intend to strip the model down and recover it. Also, whilst the airframe is bare I will retro fit flaps and also consider how to improve the landing gear and whatever else comes to mind.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Jul 24, 2014, 03:43 AM
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
Maiden

Got the maiden done in nice still conditions. Very successful although it needed a lot of down trim that may have been caused by the addition of split flaps. Underestimated the amount of down trim mix required for the flaps, they really hang out there, can do 60deg descents without breaking VNE. In subsequent flights I packed the aft edge of the wing up 1.5mm and that took out 75% of the down elevator trim so that is sorted now.

The active suspension is a great success, really scale and gives a very realistic motion on the ground.

My oddball 1900Kv 2 cell powering system driving the 10x7 3 blader is very well suited to the plane. Draws 96A on the bench and gives more than enough power for any scale maneuver, A 5 minute flight at 60% power gets the pack down to 3.85v per cell.

Overall a beautiful scale bird that performs exactly as it should. I'm stoked !!
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; Jul 24, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:17 PM
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
Porter Maiden

Well the Porter is totally dialed in now and going really well. Will do the steep descent and flare out just like the real ones. Definitely a keeper.
Last edited by RCFlyingKiwi; Aug 12, 2014 at 03:03 PM.