SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:08 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
well i can say that i have had both gens ace and nano techs and the nano techs have never sucked but i have never had anything but issues with gens ace
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:58 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,510 Posts
Could be. Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the right batch. I used regular Turnigy and Nano Tech turnigy lipos in my small helis and all the regular Turnigy batteries sucked, after 5 flights or so they were beyond usable, with just below one minute of flight. The Nanotechs did much better. Yet some other people with the same heli prefer the regular Turnigy over the Nano version, and had nothing but problems with the Nanos. And somehow both stories are true, so hard to find consensus there.

In this particular example I even tried the regular Turnigy cells a while later, hoping I just got a bad batch, and although the new cells did perform better than the old, none lived to get to 10 cycles. Yet I treated the cells nicely, just like I do all my batteries, and only the regular Turnigies died one by one. I guess they didn't like me or so...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:53 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
yeah i got bad gens ace batteries out of the box once and then i called and got them replaced and they were junked after two runs and thats surprising the nano techs didnt work out for you man me and my buddies all run them...ill tell ya what else i like are the duratrax batteries
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:29 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,510 Posts
The Nanos worked fine for me actually, it was the regular Turnigy cells that kept failing me. Yet other pilots with the same heli and same Turnigy cells had problems with the Nanos and were lyrical about the regular Turnigy batteries, so completely the opposite. That indicates the randomness in quality that apparently applies to some lipo brands.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:58 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Give this a read to see how different packs perform under load: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1440609

I'm too lazy to search now, but there's lots of cases where nano-tech packs have failed on the first run, or puffed beyond use even after very few charges and light loads.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
I was deciding between the gens ace and turnigy nano tech but know I'm reconsideing everything. I'll add to the list the regular Turnigy Lipos. Do you know other tests than the one Diesel did?
cristian9509 is offline Find More Posts by cristian9509
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
i know some people swear by max amps i however think there batteries are way overpriced...some people also swear by the thunder power packs too
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:46 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,819 Posts
Max amps are over priced for what you get, and generally over rated. I've heard good things about thunder power though.

If you search around you can find lots of lipo tests on this site, just takes some time.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:21 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
i did make mention that max amps are over priced and supposedly thunder power cant be beat but i have never bought a set of them