HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
Cadet
United States, WV, Beckley
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
Help!
Camera Mounting

Well i just got a hobbyzone mini cub and i was wondering if i could mount my veho muvi hd10 to it.The dimensions and weight is below

Dimensions H 80mm x W 47mm x D 19mm

Weight 81g

but anyways i was wondering if my plane can take this thing up. And if so, how do i mount it that it wont affect the aerodynamics that much.
p.s. i can fly the thing almost flawlessly now so the camera wont get broken
minicubber96 is offline Find More Posts by minicubber96
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
mini,

What are the dimensions of the Cub and how much power do you have?

Do you want to take vertical photos for mapping or oblique photos for scenery?

In a Cub the only practical mount would be side looking at about 30 degrees declination. There's really no aerodynamic problem even if you have to widen the fuse a bit with balsa sheet.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:08 PM
Cadet
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
here's the specs
Wingspan:31.75 in (806 mm)
Overall Length:21.5 in (546 mm)
Flying Weight:7 oz (200 g)
Motor Size:180 power
Radio:Proportional 3-channel FM with ACT
CG (center of gravity):1-3/8 in behind the leading edge of the wing (35-37mm)
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
501 Posts
You've got three things to consider. The first is wing loading, which you'll increase by 281/200. That will make you need to fly faster, hopefully not too fast for your skills, to keep the plane from stalling. The next is power loading. What throttle setting do you need to get good flying now? If it's full throttle now, you're against a limit. If you can fly well enough at half throttle, you're good.

The more complicated factor is CG shift. You can use a calculation called the method of moments to figure this out. If you put the center of gravity of the camera at the same distance back of the leading edge as your CG is now, you're adding a moment of 81 grams X 0 inches with respect to your present CG and nothing will change. You don't need to move anything else, like the battery. The trick is to move stuff around to keep the CG in the same place, without adding any weight.

If you're lucky, the plane now has extra weight near the nose you can take out, if you want the camera to sit forward of the CG. When you take the extra weight out, measure how far it is from the L.E. and add the distance to the target CG (1 3/8 inch). Multiply its weight times that total distance to get its "moment" with respect to the CG. You can shift the camera forward by that number divided by the weight of the camera. Affect of shifting the battery can be calculated the same way.

It's just the principles of the lever. Draw a line with a pivot point at your target CG and go from there.

Your camera seems to be a bit big for this plane, but you've got to go through the reasoning I presented, to make your decision.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:48 PM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
With the above considerations in mind it should fly OK.

I assume you are taking videos so there is no requirement to trigger the camera.

Mount the camera facing out the side of the fuselage. Let us know how it works out.

Tom
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
Cadet
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
thanks guys! I'll consider everything you said. And if i'm lucky i'll have a video up soon . Thanks again!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:54 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
I'm thinking that 81 gms of camera added to a 200gm model is going to most definetly affect how it flies. First off the takeoff and landing speeds will most certainly change. If hand launching then it won't be a casualy push. You'll need to push it ahead with more speed and authourity.

I would suggest that before you mount the camera itself that you do a series of flights with the model where you add a lump of foam that is ballasted with first 40 then the full 80'ish grams of camera weight and see what it does to the flying ability. Adjust fore or aft as needed to fly as well as it can. When you've got the model flying decently well after the weight trials only THEN mount the actual camera and begin your career of aerial movieography.

Or if the model proves to be less than easily flyable with the extra 80'ish grames of ballast then at least you can decide to risk the camera or not.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,613 Posts
Good point. After obliterating several expensive cameras, I made a box with a tripod mount on the bottom. It now substitutes for cameras in test flights.

Tom
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,041 Posts
I buy cheaper cameras , or at least lighter ones. The #16 keychain 808 camera is very small, light, and gives quite good HD video. Plus as the lens is on an end it is better streamlined that the 'stand up' type, allowing it to be mounted via hook and eye type tape to just about anywhere.

I even mounted a #3 camera, (lower, but still very good quality), to the top of my Sunderland fin for some water flights. It had no effect on the CG or the trim.

A lot of information on the #16 is in the - Aerial Photography forum
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:58 PM
Cadet
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
I'll experiment before i strap my $100 camera to it. I'll see though. If i cant do it with this one ill just stick to flying it without a camera, because being a 16 year old with only a part time job doesnt mean i have money to replace my stuff.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:16 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,041 Posts
Here's how I mounted a Casio Exilim for single shot photography. The model was an own design.

The camera fitted inside a housing that was velcroed to the side of the fuselage on the CG so not to upset the trim. There is a micro servo installed in the housing for shutter release.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,184 Posts
Velcro Mount on a Slow Stick

I doubt that there are any other camcorders that have a swiveling lens head, like the old Sony Bloggie, shown mounted under a Slow Stick fuselage boom. So if you use a similar mount, your fixed lens camera will only be aimed straight down.

I made a plywood plate that mounts to a couple of spare plastic brackets that GWS often supplies with its various Stick models. Velcro is adhered to the plate, and mating velcro is adhered to the Bloggie. I also use a velcro strap around Bloggie and fuselage boom. This arrangement has held the Bloggie securely, while still permitting enough movement to eliminate damage from a sudden jolt.

Before flight, the camera can be positioned to point forward, backward, or to either side.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Back in the olden days...
And a tilt mount for a point-n-shoot..
The 808s make all this gimmcrackery obsolete.
Much less mass to be concerned with, and easy to stick on anywhere..
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:28 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,184 Posts
Sparky Paul,

Uhhh, do I see buckshot damage in the first picture?

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:05 PM
Cadet
Joined Dec 2012
15 Posts
i'm thinking of just putting the camera on the side of the plane facing out to the wing. and ill probably mount it with duct tape or something. and also the camera has a remote control that allows to to take pictures . so i dont really need a fancy servo job to push the button.