HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
True but you can use any old blades you want as long as they fit. Pretty sure the one in the video is running Maverick blades. The pricey CF blades are generally worth it. And, when you're asking about high end choppers, you should be past the blade thrashing stage.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:58 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
True but you can use any old blades you want as long as they fit. Pretty sure the one in the video is running Maverick blades. The pricey CF blades are generally worth it. And, when you're asking about high end choppers, you should be past the blade thrashing stage.
True, I guess what I'm asking for is impossible, as far affordable luxury.

I'll see when I get there what to get, probably based on my skill level at the time. I know for now (maybe even for the rest of my flying days), for me, align is way more than adequate.
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
True, I guess what I'm asking for is impossible, as far affordable luxury.

I'll see when I get there what to get, probably based on my skill level at the time. I know for now (maybe even for the rest of my flying days), for me, align is way more than adequate.
You should not worry about things like this at this time. You will always have a credit card (or two) to spare.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
You should not worry about things like this at this time. You will always have a credit card (or two) to spare.
So just go for the expensive stuff anyway? Debt makes me nauseous though.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
So just go for the expensive stuff anyway? Debt makes me nauseous though.
"What's the next level up in quality over align, 450-550 size?"

You choose. Also, don't crash.

-Clone heli guy myself
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:17 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
For a 450, I'd like to purchase the http://www.oomodel.com/alzrc-h48dfka...r-p-64217.html
If there are better examples, I'll bookmark them. High end 500-600, I don't have enuff money.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:49 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,630 Posts
Quote:
I know for now (maybe even for the rest of my flying days), for me, align is way more than adequate.
Unless you're going to competition level, and provided Align maintains its current quality level, Align will ALWAYS be adequate....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,047 Posts
Brutus: yeah I think so too.

From my exi to my align there are huge differences in quality and tolerances. I guess I wouldn't mind experiencing that again with a higher end brand one day though.

And I like the look of the goblin too, it's unique from everything else, aside from scale models. Not to mention the quality of the heli itself.

But I agree about align.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:16 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
One thing I noticed about the align - exi 450 sport models is that exi did try to improve on the design a little bit. The servo fasteners are metal with the exi model and the align replacements are plastic. and the exi linkages are better quality than the align counterparts. Little things like that.

Personally, I am happy with starting with the exi bird and buying align replacements. So far everything has fit perfectly and you get the best of both worlds.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,047 Posts
I don't hate my exi, but the best parts about it are the align parts I put on it. They're not bad helis though at all in my opinion. But the thing is you're better off just buying align to begin with, in the long run it's way cheaper and you can get on to flying and learning everything else there is to know. On my exi pro there was extra spacers in the tail grips causing binding, screws (machine vs rough) in opposite places, bent shafts, crappy belt, soft head screws (when they put them in tight as heck), the tail boom drove me crazy moving, constant problems to begin with. I still like exi, but it's not all that worth it. I've noticed most first time helicopter clone owners, looking back, wish they went with align.

You could get an align sport kit (-electronics) for cheap (maybe double exi) and still keep for spare parts all those align parts you've accumulated, and transfer your electronics over. But then if you're like me you'll try to get them both flying anyway, so you might as well then get the super combo . You could get the bare kit, and try to sell the exi too. I sold my exi head to help fund an align head, I didn't do too bad considering.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Thats true, I actually did not have any problems with the tail, but I did have issues with the feathering shaft. I think if I have already knew how to fly and build a helicopter things would have gone a lot smoother. But on the same hand, you learn to fly and you crash the exi parts and replace them with the align parts.

I pretty much dont crash anymore, but I still scrape the blades from time to time. So in a way it is nice to learn to fly on the cheap parts and then upgrade to the nice parts as they go get bent and/or go bad.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,047 Posts
Yeah I agree, if someone is going to crash all the time learning, then an exi isn't a bad choice... it would be nice for them if xheli kept parts in stock as well, meaning cheaper.

But also, some very frustrating problems exist just because of it being a clone (not all clones necessarily). Stuff that really pissed me off. But it's not just the clone, it's about the cheap electronics people usually put into a clone that also give it problems. Were as if you went with an align super combo, for the most part everything fits together perfectly and you just have to learn to dial everything in properly and fly.

Exi isn't all that bad though, and I would recommend them maybe, but I would strongly suggest to someone to practice more on a sim and save money for the align kit.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:42 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
That is true, I went in on the cheap and I no longer have anything that I started with, that includes servos, gyros, esc and motor.

Infact the only exi parts I am still using are the swash plate and blade grips. I think i can officially call mine a trex.. 8)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,047 Posts
Yours is awesome.

I used to worry about my bearings being exi still and not align, but I have read threads where people dislike align bearings (or say they're only midgrade) and some also say they think exi and align bearings are the same. But just what I've read, I guess my point is that maybe having exi bearings in a mostly align heli doesn't matter.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,630 Posts
You can buy bearings almost anywhere, and almost anywhere they are at least equal but most cases better than OEM. And yes, most likely, all chinese manufacturers get their bearings from the same or at least an equal quality supplier, so I really don't think there is much difference between EXI or Align or KDS bearings.

I wouldn't even bother paying 5 times the normal price for a bag with 2 bearings, just for having an RC helicopter brandname on it....

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967