HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
Discussion
Just built my foam cargo...and crashed it!

http://youtu.be/4WAK4goqkXg

Testing the control surfaces

RC Foam Cargo Plane (maiden flight and crash) (0 min 45 sec)

Sooo I crashed it on my first flight! THE GOOD NEWS IS...I have since repaired the bird, adding extra strength to the wings, vertical staiblilezer, and the nose. Its currently raining but I'm hoping I can give it another go later today. Stay tuned! Also if you have any tips let me know!

P.S. I'm a noob, feel free to laugh and give me as much advice as possible. Also stay tuned for more vids of my progress.

Also check my blog by searching MY A-10 WartBLOG. Check out the RC Jet I plan on building...currently in the early stages.
AirborneRME is offline Find More Posts by AirborneRME
Last edited by AirborneRME; Aug 09, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:15 AM
Fly and Crash
United States, WI, Waukesha
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
Watching your video testing the servos, I thought those are some huge ailerons compared to your rudder and elevator. Also, we aren't able to check the stick movement compared to the control servo movement, you sure you didn't have the ailerons reversed. Otherwise it looks good, better then some of the maidens I've had.
dieselBird is offline Find More Posts by dieselBird
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
You're right! my ailerons were reversed! How do I fix that? Thanks for the tip!

Also, yeah its my first scratch build, and also my first time flying anything besides an RC Heli. I figured for the first time flying large ailerons were better for control, also I could always cut the wings and add flaps later.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
Nevermind I figured it out. Went into my transmitter and changed it. CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR LETTING ME KNOW THAT! You probably saved me from another crash!
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:25 PM
Fly and Crash
United States, WI, Waukesha
Joined Aug 2009
88 Posts
I also learned this rule the hard way.

Rule #3: Always check the control surfaces before every flight, even you just flew another battery 30 seconds ago.
dieselBird is offline Find More Posts by dieselBird
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:30 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,215 Posts
It's a good idea to have a standard procedure to check the controls. It is all too easy to get it wrong, but very easy to get it right by doing a disciplined pre-flight check.
Like:
Stand behind the plane.
Move aileron stick right. Require right aileron to move up.
Move aileron stick left. Require left aileron to move up.
Move stick back. Require elevator to move up.
Move stick forward. Require elevator to move down.
Move rudder stick right. Require rudder to move right.
Move rudder stick left. Require rudder to move left.
While doing this procedure look for correct throw, smooth operation, servo jitter and all that
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
Thats awesome, I actually started keeping a "flight log." I hear a lot of people do that so I'll have to write this checklist down on the outside of my flight log or post it to my transmitter somehow!

THANKS FOR THE TIP! If I had this pre-flight checklist yesterday I probably wouldn't have crashed haha
Old Aug 09, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,099 Posts
Plane looks good. I like the way the front folds out for easy access to its guts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneRME View Post
... if you have any tips let me know!...
For the first flight you can try taking off and landing immediately, without any turns. looks like there is plenty of grass in front of you for this. You only need to be about 4 feet off the ground for a few seconds and this will help you see if the controls are too sensitive.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
RCvertt:

Thanks, I'll post another vid of the fixed project today, the top center portion of the wing also opens up for easy access to the receiver, wires, and servo mounts as well, its a pretty cool project I would like to get it flying soon.

Thanks for the tip. I will probably take your advice and just try to taxi and take off for a few seconds and land it right back down in the grass. That sounds like a great idea!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Well, good news is that those huge ailerons worked. Reversing them got you to the ground really quick .

I like the idea of big cargo planes like that. I almost want to build one for a foamy fly-in that's going on in a few months. Bombdrop or something... dunno. But would be neat.

Looks like your flying area is pretty small... you probably are just fine with it for your Helis, but planes take up quite a bit of room.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:08 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
It also looked like your wings had a bit of anhedral to them.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
ACE: Haha yeah I made them that big with the intent on needing them that size as a first time flyer. Also I can cut them later and make flaps for slow flying. It has a 6in long by 4in tall cargo bay. I just haven't put a servo in for the door yet. It was a fun build and assuming I can get it off the ground for more than 15 seconds I'm sure it will be a fun fly! Stay tuned I'll be posting a vid of the repairs I made and its 2nd flight this weekend!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
DedStik: yeah they have slight anhedral. I see a lot of cargo style and heavy lift aircraft that are high wing with the anhedral wing. Thought it would look cool on the bird. Couldnt tell you how its working out because I havent had a good flight with it yet but I will let you know how it handles!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
I think I'm inverted. Maybe.
United States, CA, Pacifica
Joined Apr 2012
1,509 Posts
Ok. That's it. Thinking's over. I'm building one. .

What are the stats on yours? I'm probably going to go with a similar approach.
Wingspan, weight, building material? I have no clue what one of these would weigh, so I really don't know what power system to order.
acetech09 is offline Find More Posts by acetech09
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
45 Posts
Nice! I pretty much followed this Experimental Airlines build but changed a few of the dimensions and I used a different power system than this guy did.

RC-69 Cargo Dropper - Details and Specs (6 min 48 sec)

My bird is only 4 inches tall where as his is 5 inches tall.Also if you look on Experimental Airlines page on youtube he has a video about wing construction. I used his video and added the anhedral and tapered wing for my build.
Closed Thread