HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:54 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
6 of one, a 1/2 dozen of the other. Either will work as well as the other. Why does one way have to be better? If it works, it works. Here are three different ways all of which worked. End of story.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:45 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
well, the single servo setup looks a little labor intensive to me and requires much more skill to implement is the difference in my mind. With the AS2000 servos, your looking at 3 grams for both which is lighter than the single servo with all the hardware and much easier to install. Dual servo ailerons always work better to and is a more reliable setup and has better deflection which is critical for any plane with dihedral in order to get a clean roll rate.

HK also has some 1.7g servos which are cheap in cost and would also be a good solution.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...D_Flight_(Left)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jul 08, 2010 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:51 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
6 of one, a 1/2 dozen of the other. Either will work as well as the other. Why does one way have to be better? If it works, it works. Here are three different ways all of which worked. End of story.
That's the Best Corsair mod since Cox were built great job
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:40 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Slaanesh's Avatar
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
6 of one, a 1/2 dozen of the other. Either will work as well as the other. Why does one way have to be better? If it works, it works. Here are three different ways all of which worked. End of story.
I'm very fussy with this kind of thing and in my opinion I don't find any of these totally satisfactory. None of these solutions are aerodynamically very clean and don't look aesthetically pleasing.

I think the best solution would be two servos in the wings, however the problem with the HK 1.7g servos is that they are designed for 3V RX - most people will most likely use 5V RX (unless you intend to use the AR6400, etc).

Mounting the servos would mean a fairly large servo hanging under a thin wing (there's little to no internal room to mount these).

I would hide them in permanently mounted foam replica drop tanks or bombs.

My next Cox warbird was going to be a BF-109 however the challenge of getting a nice Corsair aileron conversion is quite tempting.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:18 PM
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
I'm very fussy with this kind of thing and in my opinion I don't find any of these totally satisfactory. None of these solutions are aerodynamically very clean and don't look aesthetically pleasing.

I think the best solution would be two servos in the wings, however the problem with the HK 1.7g servos is that they are designed for 3V RX - most people will most likely use 5V RX (unless you intend to use the AR6400, etc).

Mounting the servos would mean a fairly large servo hanging under a thin wing (there's little to no internal room to mount these).

I would hide them in permanently mounted foam replica drop tanks or bombs.

My next Cox warbird was going to be a BF-109 however the challenge of getting a nice Corsair aileron conversion is quite tempting.
You can always depron sheet the bottoms of the wing and the servos would hide inside. The plane would probably fly better, too.

I think I'll do this with my FW 190
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 08:55 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Those are pics from builds several years ago. None are mine. They come from the Cox Warbirds Sortie Thread. It was an attempt to show there is more than one way to skin a cat. It was after pavcon remarked he was gonna do his Corsair like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1528 And modfly told him to do it with 2 servos. I don't think any of you got it.
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:03 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
Oh, yeah. I forgot. What glue do y'all use to assemble your warbirds. I asked Slaanesh but since he's ignoring the question maybe one of you other guys'll answer.

Thanks,

g
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:16 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I used foam safe CA but where needed --> "firewall" a small amount of 5 minute epoxy
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:17 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Slaanesh's Avatar
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
Oh, yeah. I forgot. What glue do y'all use to assemble your warbirds. I asked Slaanesh but since he's ignoring the question maybe one of you other guys'll answer.
I didn't ignore your question - I actually edited my original post and included a whole lot of extra information. Take a look.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:56 PM
CV-15 VB-16
giuseppi's Avatar
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,371 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks, Slaanesh. You got any pics of the underside with the wing off?
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2010, 01:07 AM
Registered User
Durban South Africa
Joined Sep 2003
188 Posts
single buried servo for me on the COX MWB.
the little 1.7g ones are too dirt prone for me evem with clingwrap covers (mostly beach flying)
also a whack on the aeileron can lead to arm/leadscrew stripping on the 1.7g
whatever suits the situation.
surflyer is offline Find More Posts by surflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2010, 01:17 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflyer View Post
single buried servo for me on the COX MWB.
the little 1.7g ones are too dirt prone for me evem with clingwrap covers (mostly beach flying)
also a whack on the aeileron can lead to arm/leadscrew stripping on the 1.7g
whatever suits the situation.
Yea, thats true for a belly lander but since I operate off pavement with landing gear, its not an issue for me.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ugly truth read a few pages back and you will find everything youneed to know. first off you need to choose wether to install the stock motor or go with abrushless setup.. then you proceed


ANW... back to my question.. Enyone ever done a P51 mustang 4 channel???
ailerons Rudder Elevator throttle??? Will the 10g B/L motor fly a plane like this?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:09 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
modfly's Avatar
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ugly truth read a few pages back and you will find everything youneed to know. first off you need to choose wether to install the stock motor or go with abrushless setup.. then you proceed


ANW... back to my question.. Enyone ever done a P51 mustang 4 channel???
ailerons Rudder Elevator throttle??? Will the 10g B/L motor fly a plane like this?
Well, you did not specify which P-51 Mustang. This one is just a little bigger than the GH Mustang. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1052044
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:59 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
The gravity hobby cox warbird P-51 Mustang
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Banana Hobby A-10 Center of Gravity aileronjack The Builders Workshop 1 Nov 03, 2009 02:00 PM
Sold Three cox micro-warbirds plus futaba radio for sale burkefj Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Oct 28, 2009 12:32 PM
For Sale Cox Micro warbirds for sale skyforcecapt Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Oct 11, 2009 10:19 AM
For Sale Cox Micro Warbirds for sale skyforcecapt Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Oct 11, 2009 10:18 AM