HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:26 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
There is this lot as well > http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=250672025839 which is a heck of a deal for some great supe bright gun LED's which may be closer to the correct muzzle flash colour. The white ones just look too cold and sterile IMHO. These breathe some life into your gun firing.
Awesome! Thanks for the link!
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:45 AM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWASP View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the link!
I ordered those as well with the inquiry about them operating at 3 volts. If not, I requested they provide the appropriate resistor since they are offering that option. Don't know what I'll do with a hundred amber LED's though. Other than making up a bunch of gun harnesses and offering to the guys here in the threads.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,726 Posts
Quote:
I ordered those as well with the inquiry about them operating at 3 volts. If not, I requested they provide the appropriate resistor since they are offering that option. Don't know what I'll do with a hundred amber LED's though. Other than making up a bunch of gun harnesses and offering to the guys here in the threads.
If they work well,and look good, I will buy them, and put them on the web page. My whole issue is that I don't have the time to build them by hand.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
And I do? Ha! It'll be sometime down the road Andrew. We'll see how it goes.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,726 Posts
Quote:
And I do? Ha! It'll be sometime down the road Andrew. We'll see how it goes.
not a problem. Just a thought. Life can just get so busy sometimes.

I need to get back to working on that smoke system if I ever get around to it too!
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:44 PM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
459 Posts
Quote:
I did the same. Haven't heard back yet.
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:45 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Gun banks are epoxied back on. I cut a slit in the under wing foam to route the wires to the main wiring channel and then directly into the fuselage. I'll be flying with the "yeloglo" LED's as shown in the video clip.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:01 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
638 Posts
Hi guys. I just received my v4 and it is awesome. I am putting it into a H9 Blue Nose. I have a dumb question. I am unable to get the gun and voice noises to work. I connected the servo 1 and 2 ports t separate channels on my receiver but when I activate the channels I don't get any noises?? Polarity looks fine and the throttle/engine noise works fine as well.

Any ideas?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest radio lineup
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Standard chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
This thread is for discussion around the latest version of the sound system, the V4. Feel free to ask questions, give input, regarding the V4 MrRCSound system.
Martin Warner recently purchased my V4 sound system along with five others. I ordered the basic unit plus the Multi Engine Pack and an additional speaker ( 3 in all). I initially installed the board which already had the Multi Engine Pack chip attached in my HK B-17 using a separate battery and it worked perfectly with a little throttle/Aux2 mix. I hadn't exampled the basic unit chip. When I opened the package, the chip wasn't protected by any foam padding and the eight prongs were bent over. I attempted to straighten them out and was able to insert it into the board. I installed the board and the basic chip in my FMS P-51 and I may have damaged the board. I would like to return the board and the damaged basic chip for exchange or repair. Thank you for immediate attention,

Brent S. Carr
brentscarr@gmail.com
BigBRC1 is offline Find More Posts by BigBRC1
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Hi guys. I just received my v4 and it is awesome. I am putting it into a H9 Blue Nose. I have a dumb question. I am unable to get the gun and voice noises to work. I connected the servo 1 and 2 ports t separate channels on my receiver but when I activate the channels I don't get any noises?? Polarity looks fine and the throttle/engine noise works fine as well.

Any ideas?
Servo 1 should be throttle, and that works, correct? Have you tried the aux sounds on different channels, maybe even a control channel just for testing? It could be an end point adjustment or something. The other thing is that there is a chance the BEC gave it a spike and damaged those channels. That is why I recommend using the new modified servo cables to protect the card.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBRC1 View Post
Martin Warner recently purchased my V4 sound system along with five others. I ordered the basic unit plus the Multi Engine Pack and an additional speaker ( 3 in all). I initially installed the board which already had the Multi Engine Pack chip attached in my HK B-17 using a separate battery and it worked perfectly with a little throttle/Aux2 mix. I hadn't exampled the basic unit chip. When I opened the package, the chip wasn't protected by any foam padding and the eight prongs were bent over. I attempted to straighten them out and was able to insert it into the board. I installed the board and the basic chip in my FMS P-51 and I may have damaged the board. I would like to return the board and the damaged basic chip for exchange or repair. Thank you for immediate attention,

Brent S. Carr
brentscarr@gmail.com
Brent,
Sure, send me a PM, and I will get you an RMA form and get that fixed up or replaced for you.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:12 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
638 Posts
Yes, servo 1 works fine. I just can't get the other sounds to work. I'll check it one more time on a normal control channel or using my servo tester.
By modified cable do you mean the power lead removed? Did I miss something in the manual about that?

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
638 Posts
Ok. I was able to connect up my servo tester and get the guns working. It must be something with the end points. I'll have to take a closer look at my radio.

Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:58 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
1,321 Posts
Andrew, what are the new modified servo cables?
CarToon is offline Find More Posts by CarToon
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarToon View Post
Andrew, what are the new modified servo cables?
It sounds like some of you may have missed it. I put it over in the News/announcements thread. I will repost it here for all as well. It basically protects the card from some BECs that are higher voltage, or may produce a voltage spike. I have had some boards come back bad, and I am 99% sure that this is the problem. The new cable splits the voltage to the board, and protects it from spikes.

Here is a quote from the other page:

This is a message to let owners of the V4 to know of a possible incompatibility. This is an issue that I have been trying to track down for a while now. I have had some reports of the V4 failing in a mode where the sound can still be changed with the button, and the Aux. sounds work, but the throttle fails to produce any response at all, even when connecting the sound unit after the ESC and RX have initialized.

Out of 300+ V4 units sold to date, I have seen this about 15 times, so it is fairly rare, but I feel it needs to be addressed.

I now have a fairly good understanding of what is going on.

Power from the BEC, on ESC or separate, is needed for the throttle response and board functionality. The chip that uses this power works on 1.65 to 5.5 Volts. Most BECs put out about 5V, thus there is no issue. Some BECs put out 6v and even up to 7.2v. If one of these BECs are used, or there is a momentary spike about/above 6.5v it can damage the chip on the V4 card.

To rectify this problem I am modifying the "male to male" servo cable with a circuit to cut the voltage going into the V4 card to 2.5 to 3.75v. This will not affect the functionality of the card, or audio output levels at all. The sole reason to do this is to protect the card from a connection to a higher voltage BEC, and power spikes.

All new sales will come with this new servo cable. Sales of the regular servo cable will be halted and replaced with this cable. If you have had no problems with your unit, it should not be necessary to change. However, I highly recommend the new cable for all future needs including those used on the Aux. sounds.

Andrew
Site Sponsor