HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:32 AM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
Video
Wing crash and hospital trip... Warning - lots of blood...

Hi,

Just thought I'd share a video of an accident I had had recently as a reminder that we are playing with machines that can be potentially dangerous.

We fly multi-rotors and planes, so I thought 'how hard can it be to fly a wing...' It turns out that launching them incorrectly can have a disastrous consequences for your fingers....

WARNING - DO NOT watch if you are squeamish or faint at the sight of blood

Wing launch gone wrong... Lots of blood and hospital trip (3 min 3 sec)

PS I have now learned how to launch it properly
overandabove is offline Find More Posts by overandabove
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
48 Posts
Ouch! Got the communication finger. Wishing a speedy recovery.
redjeep is offline Find More Posts by redjeep
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:42 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,586 Posts
I had an experience with a .40 glow running full speed with and 11X4. Cut the tip (about 1/4 inch) off my left index finger, cut the tendon that straitens the finger and involved all fingers on the hand except the pinky. Took two surgery's to fix the tendon and a skin graft for the missing bit. Total stitch count from beginning to end was about 90

You are lucky you only had a small electric there. Good luck on your healing!

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
Thanks guys. Kenh that sounds nasty! I only had about 7 stitches and it hurt like buggery, I can only imagine what 90 was like... Is it all healed OK now?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:53 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overandabove View Post
Thanks guys. Kenh that sounds nasty! I only had about 7 stitches and it hurt like buggery, I can only imagine what 90 was like... Is it all healed OK now?
Yup all healed up. Happened last May. The index finger will never be the same again though. I can not get the tip joint to bend fully so making a complete fist is not possible. The part where the skin graft took place, while it has feeling, feels kind of "woody" for want of a better description. I also can not fully straiten the finger. It works pretty good but doing fine work with it is an issue.

Thank GOD for belonging to the AMA. What my regular health insurance didn't pick up the AMA did. My total out of pocket expense was less than $200. You know I will be re-upping every year for sure.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:25 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
200 Posts
That is one reason I put running gear on my flying wing. It does slow it down, but at my age going slower seems better.
villapilote is online now Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
We're lucky in the UK that we don't have to pay for medical treatments, so thankfully it didn't cost me anything except my pride.

Funnily enough the same thing happened to my friend (who I fly with) about 3 weeks later when he crashed a plane into himself and did the same thing to the same finger! The people at the hospital are getting sick of us now! Haha
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:12 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,267 Posts
Glad it wasn't any more serious than that. It must have been deeper than it looked since they put in stitches... usually ERs will just put some medical-grade CA on it and send you home.

We ("we" as in me and my club-mates) like to launch the wings one of two ways... one is by gripping it by the wingtip and doing a sort of quarter-turn to launch it. For me, I like gripping it by the nose and chucking it over my head.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:50 AM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
Yeah we now use the boomerang style launch by gripping the wing tip and throwing it kind of like a frisbee.

They wouldn't have been able to just glue to together as it had swelled so much and was really deep - the bone in the end of my finger had shattered and even though it's pretty much healed now when I press down with that finger I can feel a stray bit of bone behind the 'pad; of my finger. I guess it will always be there but will be a reminder for me not to do it again!
Old Apr 02, 2013, 08:38 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,075 Posts
Ouch!
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Apr 09, 2013, 11:06 PM
Lear 35, GII, GIII pilot
Hazlehurst GA
Joined Jan 2001
386 Posts
I still have scars from the '.049 incident' when I was 13. Test running a modified TeeDee .049 with a 5" prop...about 18,000 rpm, I somehow got my right pointer finger through the prop arc. I'm pretty sure I saw the bone initially, before blood began pouring out. 8 surgically clean cuts to the bone...1/16" apart. I learned that day not to call mom while she was at a friends house to ask "what stops bleeding better, ice or heat?" She almost took out the mailbox trying to make the turn and stop into the driveway. Many stitches later, I had a finger.
agpilot24 is offline Find More Posts by agpilot24
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2012
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overandabove View Post
Yeah we now use the boomerang style launch by gripping the wing tip and throwing it kind of like a frisbee.
I was going to suggest that method of launching a wing (since that's how I do mine), but you've already figured it out...

Although it's probably healed or close to it by now...hope things went well.
formontoya is offline Find More Posts by formontoya