HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:35 PM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
Discussion
Charging 2 lipos in parallel on one charger

I have a Thunder Power TP-1010C. According to Charles, it can put out 10 amps for 5S and 8.5 amps for 6S.

I have been using this to charge one 3S at a time (only use 3S now). It is painfully slow to charge my bunch of 10-15 lipos. Can I charge two lipo packs at the same time, by connecting them with a parallel Deans connector to the charger's Deans connector, and gettinmg a 1x6->2x3 balance plug splitter (Hobby King), connecting to the balancer's 6s port?

Would the two batteries have to be the same mah? I couldn't charger a 2000mah and 3000mah simultaneously? Do they have to have the same voltage (or number of cells)? Can I charger a 3000mah 3s and a 5000mah 4s at the same time by hooking them up in parallel?

Thanks for any help. I did search the batteries forum and google in general but did not find anything that specifically talked about these possibilities.

Thanks
Jim
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:45 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
Parallel charging is very common.

You can only charge batteries with the same S# at any one time so all 3S is ok.

They do not have to be the same capacity.

They do have to close to the same voltage when you start so its good to get a battery monitor so you can check them. If you parallel batteries at different charge levels you can get a current surge as one battery dumps into the lower charged one.

You can get 6-way parallel charge cables here for pretty much any connector type.
http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter...rge-cables?p=2

and the balance cables here
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...e-adapter.html

I have a 6-way cable for all my battery connector types: EC3, EC5, JST, etc.

epbuddy.com has similar products
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:42 PM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Parallel charging is very common.

You can only charge batteries with the same S# at any one time so all 3S is ok.

They do not have to be the same capacity.

They do have to close to the same voltage when you start so its good to get a battery monitor so you can check them. If you parallel batteries at different charge levels you can get a current surge as one battery dumps into the lower charged one.

You can get 6-way parallel charge cables here for pretty much any connector type.
http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter...rge-cables?p=2

and the balance cables here
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...e-adapter.html

I have a 6-way cable for all my battery connector types: EC3, EC5, JST, etc.

epbuddy.com has similar products

rhodesengr, what a great answer, thank you so much. I have a good power supply and this will let me use the full capacity of my setup much better. It takes me forever to recharge the bunch of lipos I go through on one good flying day.

Thanks.
Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:54 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9 View Post
Can I charge two lipo packs at the same time, by connecting them with a parallel Deans connector to the charger's Deans connector, and gettinmg a 1x6->2x3 balance plug splitter (Hobby King), connecting to the balancer's 6s port?

Would the two batteries have to be the same mah? I couldn't charger a 2000mah and 3000mah simultaneously? Do they have to have the same voltage (or number of cells)? Can I charger a 3000mah 3s and a 5000mah 4s at the same time by hooking them up in parallel?
You need to understand parallel and series better before you start a fire. The cable which combines 2 x 3S into the 6S port is connecting the packs in SERIES. If you then connect the main power connections in PARALLEL you are likely to see flames !

You can charge in parallel (using the correct connections). The packs MUST have the same voltage but do not need to have the same capacity. So 3S 2000mAh and 3S 3000mAh, fine. 3S 3000mAh and 4S 3000mAh, smoke and flames again.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,386 Posts
Hobby King sells a twin 3S connector for charging 2 packs of one source. I have one, but to be honest rarely use it. But a pal of mine literally uses his all the time ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6S_w_XT60.html

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,897 Posts
That one connects the packs in SERIES not PARALLEL just like the 2x3S >6S Splitter that they also sell http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

It's really quite important to understand the difference .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,386 Posts
Just giving a common alternative over counter solution to twin charging.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:13 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
You need to understand parallel and series better before you start a fire. The cable which combines 2 x 3S into the 6S port is connecting the packs in SERIES. If you then connect the main power connections in PARALLEL you are likely to see flames !

You can charge in parallel (using the correct connections). The packs MUST have the same voltage but do not need to have the same capacity. So 3S 2000mAh and 3S 3000mAh, fine. 3S 3000mAh and 4S 3000mAh, smoke and flames again.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I don't know why I assumed the splitter was a parallel connection! Whew!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:14 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hobby King sells a twin 3S connector for charging 2 packs of one source. I have one, but to be honest rarely use it. But a pal of mine literally uses his all the time ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...6S_w_XT60.html

Nigel
Thanks Nigel. Can I use that to connect two batteries in parallel for flying too?

Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:20 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
That one connects the packs in SERIES not PARALLEL just like the 2x3S >6S Splitter that they also sell http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5pcs_bag_.html

It's really quite important to understand the difference .

Steve
Steve, why do you say these two solutions are series? Because if they are coming off the 6S port, it's expecting to be charging to 4.2x6v? That makes sense. This raises a, er, parallel problem to my question about parallel charging: do people charge 2 3S in series? This seems relevant:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123350
So is it better to charge two 3S in series on the 6S balancing port with the power leads connected in series, or in parallel off the 3S port with power connected in parallel?

I think rhodesengr has provided the direction for solving this safely in giving me a link to Progressive RC, as they seem a top notch outfit specializing in batteries and charging. They produce videos for all their products. I have an email in to them and feel comfortable they will give me the handholding I need to solve my problem safely. Wish I could afford their iCharger 306B but my TP-1010C is probably better since 1010 > 306. :-)

Thanks all!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cloud_9; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
7,386 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Nigel. Can I use that to connect two batteries in parallel for flying too?

Jim
No it is not suitable for use as a flight connector. For that is best to either build a twin connector yourself or in the Battery accessory listing of HK - there are various twin connectors suitable ....

Nigel
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:25 AM
Jim in the Desert
Joined Aug 2007
1,260 Posts
I do need to figure out the name of the balance connectors I have. I think they are Thunder Power and Align. But I never see "align" now and think it is now called JST. Anybody know where there are some really good close ups of these plugs?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,895 Posts
Quote:
I do need to figure out the name of the balance connectors I have. I think they are Thunder Power and Align. But I never see "align" now and think it is now called JST. Anybody know where there are some really good close ups of these plugs?
Align uses JST-XH. See this site:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...ce-connectors/
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
I'd stay away from those Hobby King products. First, they charge via the balance wires so not capable of high current. I tried one way back with small 1S batteries. My charger did not seems to be able to finish the charge cycle.

Just stick with the 6-way products I pointed you towards from progressiverc or epbuddy and you will be fine. They will make your battery group look like a single battery to the charger and fully support high current charging with balancing.

The Thunder power balance lead is slighly different than the JST. The balance board that came with my charge supports both. You can get 6-way balance canles for either.

Post which battery you have, make and model, maybe even a photo and we can probably figure out which balance connector you have. See if the balance board with your charger has both types and then you can figure it out from that.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
I looked at the TP1010 and it does not have balancing function built in. Do you have one of the external balancers that would work with it?