New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by tvcasualty
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,142 Posts
Discussion
FOAM CASUALTY: B17 (Weak Signals 2015 Prop)

This thread has been waaaaaay over due and I do apologize for the tardiness in it all.
A long while back I started a thread called Sketchup Bombers: B-17...
Unfortunately I got busy shortly after starting it and never got a chance to fully model the plane.

And a lot has changed with sketchup since those days, so while it's good info, it's really out of date.

Fast forward to today.
I now have our FC6A and as we do Weak Signals every year now, I thought hey why not do an 8' B-17F, it's great for FPV and its cool! Starting building on Monday last week, and had to get it to at least the stage shown here with Bert holding her.

I totally intend on making her fly and I need a name yet, something risque...
tvcasualty is offline Find More Posts by tvcasualty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,554 Posts
She's gonna be sweet! Since the B-36 was called the Aluminum Overcast how about the Foam Overcast?

Just left the Lone Star aviation museum in Galveston, where I saw their Thunderbird.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by Sr71freak
Joined May 2012
503 Posts
FPV B-17's are awesome! ask me how I know!!!

I'm working on a 110" FPV B-17 that will have multiple cameras on it and do precision bombing. It’s on hold until I get home from SEFF. But my 73" FPV B-17 is a hoot to fly!
Sr71freak is offline Find More Posts by Sr71freak
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:36 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangen View Post
FPV B-17's are awesome! ask me how I know!!!

I'm working on a 110" FPV B-17 that will have multiple cameras on it and do precision bombing. Itís on hold until I get home from SEFF. But my 73" FPV B-17 is a hoot to fly!
PLEASE TELL ME MORE!! HaHa
That sounds awesome!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 09:58 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,142 Posts
I think I seenThunderbird fly waaaaay back when into Metcalf field (now Toledo Executive) here in Ohio. It was a long time ago, but I can for sure remember seeing Nine-O-Nine at the field. Dad use to always take us there when a 17 was in town, always cool to see the engines start up and then taxi down the runway...

Aluminum Overcast seems to be the one that stops in most frequently, in fact I got a once in a lifetime view of that baby not long ago at all. The landing pattern loosely follows the path I take down i-280 onto 795. By the time I came to the intersection of the lemoyne and 795 I could see the 17 coming straight at us to hit the intersecting runway of those cross roads! So I pulled over and sat on the door frame with the window down looking over the roof of my car. If you look at the map the end of the runway is a stone throw from the crossroad, and when that 17 roared overhead it seems like I could have touched the landing gear! Simply incredible, even if you had no clue what you were looking at.

Milling a Foam B-17 Engine Nacelle/Cowling (1 min 11 sec)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Sr71freak
Joined May 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcasualty View Post
PLEASE TELL ME MORE!! HaHa
That sounds awesome!
Well I'm back from SEFF week, and am about to start on the build. I'll be making a thread for it soon. Here's a picture of the rough skeleton frame. It will look quite different soon.
Sr71freak is offline Find More Posts by Sr71freak
Old May 01, 2015, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by pmullen503
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,781 Posts
CNC milling AND hot wire cutter! Too cool!
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503