New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by SplitFire
United States, FL, Winter Haven
Joined Dec 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
EXTREMELY low range on HABU S 180

I took my Habu 180 s out tonight. I took off and once the jet was about 80 feet away, the motor shut off. Luckily it came back on for about 5 seconds and I was able to bring it in for a landing. Unfortunately, although the landing was smooth, the front wheel decided to make a quick turn to the left and caused the plane to cartwheel.

I decide to do a range check and I can't get more than 15 feet away from the plane without it losing connection. Are there any known issues with this plane? Could it be an issue with my brand new dx6i? Is there anything I can check? Thanks!
SplitFire is offline Find More Posts by SplitFire
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
913 Posts
Open up the radio and check to see if the antenna is plugged in properly.

You can also contact Horizon's customer support.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Mar 06, 2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
Unregistered User
United States, LA
Joined Apr 2014
1,780 Posts
Open her up. My old UMX MiG 15 did that at one point, and the antenna had broken off! I replaced it with the antenna from and old Scout CX brick. It worked fine!
Eagle2Nitro is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eagle2Nitro; Mar 06, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
756 Posts
If you're comfortable opening it up, open it up and check the antenna placement. Antenna should be above and away from the receiver PCB. One of the first prototype samples had the antenna routed against the receiver PCB, and it had range issues. Once I moved it, no issues. We made sure the factory fixed that for production and put it in all of our quality inspection stuff at the factory to make sure it didn't happen, and haven't seen any issues since, but just something to double check.

If you're not comfortable opening it, just give HH product support a call and they will help figure it out for you.

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 06, 2015, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
41 Posts
Turns out the antenna on the receiver broke off. You were right Eagle

The good news is that I was able to repair it. Bad news is that's it's unfortunate the broken antenna caused me to bust up my new plane.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by Julezwatts
WOT and going nowhere
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
913 Posts
If you had a technical error out of the box that caused undesired operation, Horizon will replace it for you.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Mar 07, 2015, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
41 Posts
I contacted Horizon but they said the warranty was gone the second I took it out of the box. They were kind enough to send me a new receiver, just still stinks the body of the jet is beat up.
Old Mar 08, 2015, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,104 Posts
I really surprised they didn't send you a new airframe. HH has always been first rate with me. I can't tell you all the help they have provided plus parts..

1. New wings for a Neiuport 17.
2. New motor for MSR-X.
3. New receiver for ASK-21
4. Gimble parts for a DX6I.

Just to name a few! It's why I always buy from HH. Plus there customer support if you having technical problems with a TX is great.

I know I sound like a HH salesman but I really do feel they are first rate!!

jack

PS: My man cave is full of HH stuff!
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350