New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by BushmanLA
Joined Dec 2005
1,823 Posts
Discussion
2+ Hour electric powered flight endurance. Can we do it?

Given the state of motors/esc/batteries and the current crop of foam/balsa/composite ships out there. Do you guys think it is even possible to have a ship capable of 2 or more hours of electric powered flight?

Assume no thermals and no wind, nothing but your own on board power.

Also assume the standard FPV payload. Camera, Video Tx, OSD

I'm on a mission to find out and based on a few comments in other threads I've been poking around in, so are a few others.

My current candidate ships are:
Skywalker
Foamaroo
Hercules Gentle Giant
URSUS
Sr. Telemaster

Id love to start a good debate on this and get some tips from you guys.

Our goal here is not distance or speed. Just straight up flight time endurance with no help from thermals.

Whats the best motor paradigm for this? Do you sacrifice max throttle power to get more efficiency by using a smaller motor that runs closer to its max power all the time?

I can do 50 mins if I play really nice with my Skywalker. This is with a 4S 5000mAh battery. I'd estimate that doubling that battery size will only get me to 1.5 hours flight time and it will fly like a pig.
BushmanLA is offline Find More Posts by BushmanLA
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:39 PM
Find More Posts by viper6549
Bugs!!!!!!!
USA, OK, Wayne
Joined Sep 2009
223 Posts
this flight was 1hr 34 minutes so I would say yes it's very possible, if it hasn't already been done. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439219
viper6549 is offline Find More Posts by viper6549
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by Toysrme
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,977 Posts
well you got lift vs drag & they're mutually exclusive. the pod & boom stuff popular now is pretty good aero, but they dont have those big honkin amounts of wing area that let you just pack absurd amounts of battery into them. (like you said, flies like a pig) they cruise a long way at a good clip, but going a long way fast dont equate to enduro.

IMO if you want to do that youd want a big, draggy, high lift airplane that can pack crap tons of batteries in & instead of propping for max power, prop it for a really slow, low throttle cruise under 1/2 throttle. thats how you win enduro competitions with glow at least. find you a trainer, prop it way up so it flies like crap over 1/2 throttle & just loaf along just above idle flying the speed of worms.
look at it the other way. see if you can figure out a good prop/motor combo that's efficient at half throttle or less. even if that means overloading the motor you might burn it out at WOT 'cause you wont use it that long. (Well I wouldn't be.).

I think thats another problem you ran into before. life's a lot easier if you're flying from pavement, or you can use a hi-start. You were stuck kinda hand launching weren't you?

i wouldn't do a USURS. i mean... do like what's his name. put a glow trainer wing on a piece of PVC pipe yourself.
a foamaroo aint gunna get close. i just extremely doubt it has the wing area to lift & fly well with the pounds of batteries required+fpv. like you said, fly like a pig.
skywalker... i bet you could do it if you increased the wing area. what's a loaded skywalker weigh (im guessing) 4.5-5.5 pounds with 550in^2? that's .40 size. build the wing to .60 class. 675-725in^2 & now you've got the wing area to lift 6-7 pounds.
Hercules Gentle Giant - give that a try.
Sr. Telemaster - the question isn't *if* you could do it. you could if you packed enough batteries in it. the question is do you have the room to take one off that's setup for cruising & not WOT performance? at 1330in^2 and builds at 8 pounds you could pretty easily increase that to 13 pounds or MORE AFA the airframe & flying. it honestly wouldn't surprise me if you could get 15 pounds on it. (25oz/sqft wing loading). just keep in mind that the power requirements will go up. the telemaster "get's away" with being a large 1/4 scale plane, but only needing a .40-60 glow powerplant by being light weight for it's size. that's the problem. figuring out what to power it with that could haul everything off the ground before you just loaf along in a slow cruise.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,823 Posts
Among air frame types is it fair to say that a flying wing is probably going to be the winner?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by David22
Suspended Account
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
19,406 Posts
2 hours would not be a problem with a glider that can take the weight of large enough battery payload.

thermals or conditions to fly long time would be hard to not find, unless you stayed low and not far away, like visual range.

otherwize its just a matter of flying far away and then glideing back home and makeing sure the plane it trimmed and balanced well.

of course aerodynamics plays a large part.

it would be pretty borring trying to fly for as long as you can, but 2 hours is NOT A PROBLEM
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by Toysrme
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,977 Posts
but there in is his problem. NO reliance on air current. (which i agree with). he may or may not be flying in a place with enough to play with year round & he's already previously expressed the desire for loitering time to use his thermal equipment to find animals.

good air currents are hard to find in lots of places. here, you can't ride drafts on mountains, cliffs, ridges, etc. their hardly are any to fly on. you can find thermals... over large masses of asphalt/concrete (interstate or parkinglot) from about 12-4pm, but ONLY during the dog days of summer (past us now).
thermal hunting = over for the year here
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by David22
Suspended Account
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
19,406 Posts
Try this plane

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

with a 16X4 folding prop. and a cularis motor

thermals will not be needed to fly over 2 hours

will take a very heavy payload like 12000 mah 4 cells
and fly for a very long time
for sure over 2 hours

its when people put draggy cameras or draggy stuff and don`t set up the plane well is when they find short flight times.

cg and aerodynamics makes all the difference in the world
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by fpvguy
Joined Mar 2010
534 Posts
i would try a HGG with some major wing extensions for huge amounts of battery space
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvguy View Post
i would try a HGG with some major wing extensions for huge amounts of battery space
It's high on the candidate list. I've never done the flying wing thing before though.

Still waiting on someone to do an FPV flight with OSD info.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by houstonderk
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,003 Posts
Got me an HGG im building with the 12" extensions.. Totals like 72" wingspan and I got 4 4s 5000 mah batteries but not sure how much battery will be using until fully built. Its def a big plane though.
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by Zen09
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
925 Posts
Look at R Montiel's glider setup, he had 5h FPV flights.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by fpvguy
Joined Mar 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
Got me an HGG im building with the 12" extensions.. Totals like 72" wingspan and I got 4 4s 5000 mah batteries but not sure how much battery will be using until fully built. Its def a big plane though.
what motors and props are you going to run? please let me know your top speed
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Gary Evans
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Look at R Montiel's glider setup, he had 5h FPV flights.
Ya but he uses air batteries.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonderk View Post
Anxiously awaiting cruising watts.

Do me a huge favor and find out what it takes to go as slow as reasonable while maintaining altitude.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by hugy
Joined Apr 2010
587 Posts
I can cruise my easystar at around 3-3.5 amps with a 4000mah 3s battery. So maybe with the easyglider wings and an extra battery. I think you can get 2 hours flight time.
hugy is offline Find More Posts by hugy