SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:24 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Nice job Rod! She'll keep your heart beating steady that's for sure!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:58 PM
Star, ID
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
Took her out again today. Had made some trim adjustments since the first flight. This takeoff was straight and level altho it appears to need a lot of back stick to keep the nose up in any turn and seems to run out of elevator on the landing approach close to the ground meaning lots of speed to counter it and also means the soft nose gear wire gets bent. Did any of you find a fix for this weak gear wire?

I can probably move the CG just a bit ( little bit ) to help that out. I can't move the battery back any farther and really don't want to add tail weight ,but 1/8th oz for starters may be just enough...will find out, I guess.... good flight today....I was pretty pleased overall...tricky little bugger tho...

Rod
RCS1313 is offline Find More Posts by RCS1313
Old Aug 13, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Am new to this thread and this is my 1st post ever. Have been flying rc electrics (mostly warbirds) now for six (6) years and am just getting in to EDFs. Recently acquired the LX "kit" version of the SR71 Blackbird and must say that I too am smitten with the looks of this aircraft and am thankful for Don and others for starting this thread and in having read all the good content. Took me over a week to get thru all 100 pages, but finally finished today. Am curious about two things as follows:

1. For Aros - Love the scale 3 wheel landing gear retracts and sorry for your troubles with the last landing, but wondering if you have any thoughts on how I might acquire a similar scale looking set up. Looks great, but curious if any thoughts concerning weight with the 3 wheels on each side. Also am wondering about the nose gear double wheels which are also scale. Would love to replace the stock retracts I have with the scale look on yours and just drop in servoless if doable.

2. Am also in the process of building a Starmax F-14 and for that set up, have twin 70mm 14b fan units with 2300kv on its way. Lots of torque/low kv as I fly behind a middle school off a crushed gravel running track for takeoffs and landings. Flying area is relatively tight, but no obstructions with overhead powerlines, etc. A fun place a group of us like to fly w/o having to drive great distances otherwise. With respect to this thread, read somewhere many pages back that someone was toying with the idea of using twin 64mm with a higher blade count, so was curious if anyone reading this has tried that?? Would be curious as I'm thinking of replacing the stock fan units in my SR71 with a higher blade count (e.g. 10, 12) and installing a bit lower kv given flying space constraints at the field I fly. Would appreciate any thoughts on this if any. And I only fly with Skylipo 40c minimum "c" rating batteries and absolutely love them, so a very big fan of the various skylipos I have.

Thank You,

"Strawhat"
acicala is offline Find More Posts by acicala