HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:12 PM
East of St Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
138 Posts
Question
Mobileairships/blimpguys blimp question

I have been flying blimps and shapes from Aerostar for 25 years and now another team has called and they are looking at a blimpguys blimp because of the lower price. Have any other pilots flown one? how durable are they?

Thanks
blimppilot is offline Find More Posts by blimppilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2013, 08:56 AM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
I flew 3 blimps made from their 15foot bags from 98 to 02. They hold up pretty well for being inflated and deflated at each game for an entire hockey season. But I used my own gondola and motors. I can sell you 2 used blimps for a reasonable price.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Oct 06, 2013, 06:44 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,866 Posts
Mobile has worked well for me over the last six or so years. Their prices have been fair, they have worked with me to develope the right hardware for the various venues we fly in at this time. The AT&T stadium for the Dallas Cowboys, the American Airlines Center in Dallas for the Stars and Mavericks. Baylor University in Waco Texas, Texas A&M University, Cedar Park Stars, University of Texas Arlington and the Texas Legends in Frisco Texas. All these balloons have flown well with little if any problems. Aerostar vehicles are also flown by my crews at the University of Texas in Austin and another 16 footer is also flown at the Texas Legends. We had to modify the control system on these ships to perform the way all my crews are taught to fly which is different from that of the Aerostar ships. They are good reliable and tough birds. I feel they are overpriced but that is me and nothing more. Both companies do make good reliable ships. Difference between a Caddy and a Volkswagen in many cases. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:49 PM
East of St Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
138 Posts
Thanks Ed & MajorTom.

I ended up with the Aerostar blimp - since I have over 25 years of flying them and not having to re-learn the different flight setup was a potential problem. I did like that the had moved to brush-less motors for the main fans. I also leave the blimps inflated betweem games and only require a complete drain & fill about mid season. This keeps my helium use to less than 4 tanks a year. Note: Aerostar still puts them out with the Speed 400 motors & Nicads. I had made some upgrades on my last blimp and required Aerostar to include them on this airship (brush-less with 4 bladed (2 props X pattern) on each motor. I purchase my own packs and will be running 2 - 2 cell 5000 Mah packs so 10,000 Mah to fly all night even max max throttle. Should be up & running by next weekend.Photos to come after first game night flights. They want it to have a big unveiling at the game.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:55 PM
East of St Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
138 Posts
===
Last edited by blimppilot; Nov 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: duplicate posting
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:09 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,866 Posts
Good luck as the Aerostar envelopes are very nice. I would take another look at the size of your batteries and go with three cells. The extra power helps and most ESCs handle three without issue. What size vehicle are you flying? Any way you go have fun and get paid for your work. Half the fun is seeing a paycheck come in each month to buy new toys with. Paid to fly Toy balloons what a hell of a deal. Put some photos up for us to see when you can.

ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Nov 21, 2013, 02:37 PM
East of St Paul, MN
Joined Aug 2002
138 Posts
That is why we fly! I actually made a few rules we fly by and the first one is "We fly as long as we are having fun" the check is just a bonus. but I would like to replace my 14 year old Focus Wagon if I can find something as small and still fit my tanks when needed.

I have used 2 cell just because the battery/motor/prop combo give me what I need and there is no need to change packs mid game. I will try a 3cell 2300 pack and watch it scoot - if he put in the speed controllers I wanted (Wait & see I guess) this is a 15 foot blimp that will look like a 737 with no silly stub wings to mess with.

Happy flights