SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2001, 10:16 AM
Joined Sep 2001
83 Posts
smoke system how to

Looking for specific info on how to put a smoke system on my Cap 232 with a O.S. surpass .91 four stroke. Such as where do you inject the fuel carb or exhaust, does it need preheating ?, what do you use to inject it and what makes the most dense smoke. Thanks for your help
flyinryan is offline Find More Posts by flyinryan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2001, 01:03 PM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Ryan,

A couple manufacturers make smoke systems for our slimers. (Yeah, I admit it, I do the "dirty" deed occasionally too. )

Smoke oil is definately injected into the muffler. Many engines require that the oil be pre-heated. This (I think) is usually a coil wrapped around the muffler that the oil passes through before being injected.

I know Perry makes components like smoke oil pumps and servo controlled valves. I remember complete systems that someone puts out, I even think it's called a "Simple Smoke System", but can't remember who!

Dave Brown comes to mind for some reason, but...??? If it comes to me I'll write again.

Good Luck!

Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Dec 09, 2001, 01:51 PM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,565 Posts
Not sure that you'll get a good smoke setup with a 4 stroke, I've only seen it done with big 2 strokes (mostly petrol rather than glow). Good info from Dennis, if you can buy a commercial system then do .. things like the pump rate (or tank pressure) vs injector size will take a lot of experimentation otherwise.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 09, 2001, 03:50 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
I used the Simple Smoke System by TME (Tejera Microsystems Engineering, Inc. - http://www.geocities.com/tmenet/products.htm) with great success. It took a minor bit of tweaking to get the flow right (smoke on, see how much smoke, turn up or down the flow, try again), but once I did it was instant on, instant off.

I do recommend range checking as the old pump I have does put out a bit of RF noise. I can't speak for the new System II. They also offer the Simple Smoke Secrets booklet with purchase which will walk you through all of the do's and don'ts.

BTW, the hotter an engine's exhaust, the more smoke it will produce. The hottest to least hot in the following order; two-stroke gas, four-stroke glow, then two-stroke glow.

Good luck,
Daren
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Dec 09, 2001 at 03:58 PM.