SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:00 AM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,139 Posts
Discussion
Keychain cam data recovery question

Hi all. I have been playing around with some keychain cams. It appears that the ones I have are #13 of the 808 cams as described on this site http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.s...eoToCameraType

One problem I have with these cams, is that when shutting down due to low battery, they save a file but it is identified as having 0 Kb of content. That is, when I put the card into my laptop, a file comes up that is associated with the video that was terminated due to low battery voltage, but it has 0 Kb of content.

Yet when I go to format the card (I use a digital camera for this), the card is identified as having much more than 0kb of content on it. It is pretty clear that there is content there on the card that my laptop isn't seeing.

Another variant of the above, is when the camera has enough battery life to complete one 30-minute file and begin another file before shutting down. The laptop will typically see one file of approx 2G (this is the 30-minute file) and one file of 0G (this is the second file). But when I go to format the card in my camera, the camera may show something like 3G of data on the card. Suggesting that the second file is actually much longer than 0G.

Can you tell me how to successfully recover a file that was terminated due to low battery voltage? Is there a program to use for this?

Thanks very much

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:24 AM
Warsaw, Poland
Joined Mar 2009
53 Posts
You can try PhotoRec.
crazy4volvo is offline Find More Posts by crazy4volvo
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:57 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
960 Posts
This is a problem that crops up with many cameras and is usually due to the video file header not being completely written (it is the last bit of the file to be written at the end of recording). The video data is there but without the full header a player app cannot decide what to do with the data, and where the data is.

I have tried to unsuccessfully recover a video by trying to take a header from another file made with the same video camera and inserting it into the broken file. So far no success but others report that it can work. There are paid for programs out there to do it for you but how well they work I know not.

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999 View Post
Hi all. I have been playing around with some keychain cams. It appears that the ones I have are #13 of the 808 cams as described on this site http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.s...eoToCameraType

One problem I have with these cams, is that when shutting down due to low battery, they save a file but it is identified as having 0 Kb of content. That is, when I put the card into my laptop, a file comes up that is associated with the video that was terminated due to low battery voltage, but it has 0 Kb of content.

Yet when I go to format the card (I use a digital camera for this), the card is identified as having much more than 0kb of content on it. It is pretty clear that there is content there on the card that my laptop isn't seeing.

Another variant of the above, is when the camera has enough battery life to complete one 30-minute file and begin another file before shutting down. The laptop will typically see one file of approx 2G (this is the 30-minute file) and one file of 0G (this is the second file). But when I go to format the card in my camera, the camera may show something like 3G of data on the card. Suggesting that the second file is actually much longer than 0G.

Can you tell me how to successfully recover a file that was terminated due to low battery voltage? Is there a program to use for this?

Thanks very much

Steve
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon