HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:51 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
So has anyone tried the booster off the stock tx of the hubsan.I was down at Aeromicro today and saw one flying and figured I wanted one for a micro fpv setup.Perry showed me a pic of Patricks setup and it looked pretty good.
Hi Sparky,

I usually fly at Baylands Sunnyvale on Saturdays if you want to see how it does in person. I've since turned the yaw rate down to 45 in expert and normal modes on the Tx so it's much more controllable now via FPV.

Also painted it orange so I can see and find it easlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonysQuad View Post
This thread has got me all confused.
Hi Anthony,

If you have any questions let me know?
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:35 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Tx so it's much more controllable now via FPV.
in your cloverleaf, do you use an rp-sma connector for the video Tx or was it soldered directly to board?

and what coax are you using?

thanks
r3npogi is offline Find More Posts by r3npogi
Last edited by r3npogi; Mar 03, 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Tx might be confused for controller Tx instead of video transmitter
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:59 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,002 Posts
It be cool to have a parts list and the range of your fpv flying.A video would be cool to see some camera shots.
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3npogi View Post
in your cloverleaf, do you use an rp-sma connector for the video Tx or was it soldered directly to board?

and what coax are you using?

thanks
No SMA connector as it would be too heavy. I solder some RG316 coax direct to the VTx and antenna. Split the ground wire into 2 strands and solder them direct to the metal case so the antenna is secure. Total weight of coax and antenna is 1 gram.

I usually just buy these cables because they have 50cm of RG316 and I use the RP-SMA connectors in other projects.
Last edited by patricklupo; Mar 03, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:55 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonysQuad View Post
It be cool to have a parts list and the range of your fpv flying.A video would be cool to see some camera shots.
Anthony I'll see if I can put togther a build log with some videos. Next though I want to take the Hubsan out 1/2 mile to see if it's 5 min flight time w/fpv payload can get me there and back. Pretty sure the r/c link and video will do fine, as same vtx and booster have done well past twice that no problem.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:00 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,002 Posts
Thanks....even a half mile is great.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Just to put it simple - if is isn't able to share and make it reproduceable - he is a liar.
Going the Deviation way the Hubsan protocol already is implemented and works without issues.
-mike-
Quote:
The video "proof" I've seen makes it highly doubtful that it is working as said.
I had a good laugh reading his words "One rule: No questions!"
If he is not willing to PROVE via third parties - common procedure in scientific work anyway - he is a liar. HE is stating something - so HE has to prove it.
I will not spend any further thought about it.

Back to topic:
The 9X way isn't really cheaper than going Deviation - just made my mind yesterday and was adding some numbers.
I did NOT include any costs for modules I bought that has to be used for both variations (HT-8, FrSky). For 28 USD more (even less if I add money for module cases, minor parts and components) I'll get a high quality TX system (ball beared gimbals, etc) without any module to change.

-mike-
thank you so much for your expert analysts who are you again?

FPV Transmitter - H102F-01 hubsan x4 ultimate hacks PART 1 N3M1S1S (4 min 4 sec)

and your contributions are?
neobot is online now Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:31 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
thank you so much for your expert analysts who are you again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-r4J...sRB8Th2d9WUGCw

and your contributions are?
So you took a Hubsan H102F-01 TX and pushed the output.
Superb!

But: that was not the question.

In your video
Syma "X41" mini quadcopter HD FPV AVP UAV all systems running N3M1S1S (6 min 14 sec)

you implied the useage of a Turnigy Transmitter to actually CONTROL the X4 board. Obviously not true.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
I solder some RG316 coax direct to the VTx and antenna.

did you power the VTx separately or are you drawing it directly from the main battery?

did you use any capacitor?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
did you power the VTx separately or are you drawing it directly from the main battery?

did you use any capacitor?
I really wanted, and tried, to power the VTx from the Hubsan X4's main lipo but it was not to be. Connecting the VTx to the X4's lipo initially revealed 2 problems. First, there was too much motor noise in the video to be usable. Second was, that at over 1/2 throttle, the VTx shut down all-together due to voltage sag (and that was on a full charge). So I ordered and tested an adjustable micro step up supply to solve the voltage sag problem. With the metal USB shield removed it was ~2 grams and solved the voltage problem completely; full throttle and still 3.6v at the output. Unfortunately the step up didn't do anything about the motor noise so I tried a 470uF cap but with not much improvement. Then I added a 1mH inductor to form an L-C circuit and it was better but still far too noisy. Only a 1000uF cap and 1mH cleared everything up but the total weight of L-C circuit and step-up was 7 grams.

In the end I scrapped the idea and went with these Zippy 100mAH 1S lipos to power the VTx separately. They were 2.8 grams out of the box and 3.2 grams with short wires, Losi micro connector, a bit of velco, and liquid electrical tape to cover the exposed solder tabs.

Total weight was 9.7 g (cam+VTx+CP antenna 6.5g + 100mAH lipo 3.2g).
Flight time is 5 minute with FPV gear.
Starting throttle at hover 70%, Ending throttle at hover 80%

Notes:
You can loose a gram by using the older style micro FPV cams but I preferred the wider FOV and more realistic colors of the FPVHobby 1.5g camera (which is really 2.3g). You can just as easily put a wide angle micro lens on the old style cam but then you end up adding 2 grams instead of losing 1.

Additionally you can trim a gram by using a simple wire antenna vs cloverleaf, but video breakup will increase due to multipathing and range will decrease.

I also tried this nano mic cause I wanted sound but it simply didn't work with the VTx.

All of the design choices were based not just on an FPV solution for my Hubsan and V929, but so I could have a modular FPV system with good enough quality for use on even a full-sized R/C car, plane or multicopter. For that reason I wanted a reasonably good camera and chose the 200mW VTx w/cloverleaf to obtain 2+ mile range.
Last edited by patricklupo; Mar 07, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
So you took a Hubsan H102F-01 TX and pushed the output.
Superb!

But: that was not the question.

In your video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTNzi...9WUGCw&index=5
you implied the useage of a Turnigy Transmitter to actually CONTROL the X4 board. Obviously not true.

-mike-
i think this was the 1st video i posted on the subject

HUBSAN X4 TRAXXAS QR1 SYMA X1 micro or mini Quadcopter you decide 1st tests N3M1S1S (2 min 18 sec)

and i see your tactics and part of me even wants to play along lol but the bottom line is,

do i really care about YOUR opinion? Nope!
do i feel obliged to tell you things i know because you don't know it? Nope!
does your attitude make me want to share anything with you? Nope!

you want YOUR 9x to work with YOUR hubsan? Go figure it out for yourself!
neobot is online now Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
For that reason I wanted a reasonably good camera and chose the 200mW VTx w/cloverleaf to obtain 2+ mile range.
Tx5823 has a supply current requirement of 320-340 mAh, you added a 100mAh Battery but since it is 3.7v and the maximum power requirement of the VTx is 3.2v-3.4v, will it not fry if connecting it directly or are you using any voltage regulator?

I have the same camera you're using, same VTx?, i have made cloverleaf antenna and I will use it with v959. and i will be using Sunhans 2.4ghz booster 2.5watt to extend the range.

they're all in the post now and just waiting for delivery.

and yes, similar with you, i'm planning to make it modular so i can use it in other rc as well.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:45 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobot View Post
and i see your tactics and part of me even wants to play along lol but the bottom line is,

do i really care about YOUR opinion? Nope!
do i feel obliged to tell you things i know because you don't know it? Nope!
does your attitude make me want to share anything with you? Nope!

you want YOUR 9x to work with YOUR hubsan? Go figure it out for yourself!
lol! i LOVE this place. does anybody else love this place? i REALLY love this place.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Tx5823 has a supply current requirement of 320-340 mAh, you added a 100mAh Battery but since it is 3.7v and the maximum power requirement of the VTx is 3.2v-3.4v, will it not fry if connecting it directly or are you using any voltage regulator?

I have the same camera you're using, same VTx?, i have made cloverleaf antenna and I will use it with v959. and i will be using Sunhans 2.4ghz booster 2.5watt to extend the range.

they're all in the post now and just waiting for delivery.

and yes, similar with you, i'm planning to make it modular so i can use it in other rc as well.
Yes that looks to be the same VTx I'm using or very close. BTW, that's a great deal on a Tx & Rx combo.

At first I was worried about running the 3.3v VTx right off a lipo with 4.2v charge but figure that if I fry it I'll learn a lesson and buy another one. So far no problems with doing so, but I always make sure it's outside when powered up for more than a few minutes. If you're concerned then add a low dropout diode in series with the positive wire.
Last edited by patricklupo; Mar 07, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:26 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,002 Posts
This is where i get confused.I dont even know which setup to use because people are bickering.Its the first time i heard about the 1.5 gram camera haveing color.....or it being better in the long run so thats something i guess ill wacth a few videos on.I like the modded thing with the tupperware on top.I just dont really understand what all thehate is going on.Hey pat if you read this could i just buy that setup you have on the scale so i could just attach it or is wireing it up easy.i think it would be easy aint it?