HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:50 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshu View Post
Dave,
Why do you open source of youres? Let us to learn and modify.
Read the whole thread and you will understand.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:46 AM
Beijing Capital, China
Joined Mar 2004
62 Posts
Mr. dave1993:
According to phracturedblues reverse engineering of the flysky/turnigy protocol, You write new code for AVR of mega8, you Release HEX file, I want to DIY flysky 8ch receiver, May you open soucer that you writing?
jpshu is offline Find More Posts by jpshu
Last edited by jpshu; Mar 08, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:09 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,040 Posts
welcome jpshu,

everything you need to build avr diy flysky rx including code is in post #1. if you have any questions or run into problems let me know and i will help. if you want to modify and learn there is pic source code in the protocol thread thanks to thierry. he did a great job and i think it will help many people who like to get into the details of flysky protocol.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:32 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Dave can you post what components are needed to beadbug build and what programer is needed to deliver the hex to the chip some wiring info I want to try and build one and keep it light I dont recall if I saw the info when I read the thread I'll go back and reread just in case
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:52 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,040 Posts
no, it didnt seem likely anybody would attempt such a build so i concentrated on the mega8 version.

from memory there were 3 caps, a resistor, and a crystal in addition to the a7105 and t13. i never did a schematic but wired from the amicom reference design. this was a small subset of the full complement of components and as a result range suffered big time. about 1/8th that of the pcb version. this is not really a problem because tiny planes cant fly that far away. but a lot of the parts serve no purpose anyway. certainly not those used for transmitting. it will be very interesting to see how thierrys ZERO parts design works out.

as for progammer i used one of my trusty 3 wire lpt dealies like with all my projects. hard to beat at 10 cents a shot. you will probably fare better with a usbasp. or any other avr burner for that matter.

ill post more info when i get a chance. probably draw up a diagram for you next time i build one. dont forget to dust off the microscope.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:06 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Thanx dave I have an old avr dongle someplace and I have an old pic programer and a JMP I built I used for an IR RC system long ago. I have a full rework station and since the old eyes aren't so good anymore I do have a stereoscope. I can get most stuff done tho with just good lighting and a 10x loop I build good LED flashlights and built a nice lighted hood using XML leds over my station. One day I'd like to actually like to take the time to do coding rather then xfer HEX to chips I surely dont have time to learn C+ ATM anyplace you recomemnd on going ASM path? Quickly
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:50 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,040 Posts
looks like you have a perfect setup to start in with this stuff. i did pick up a stereo microscope last year but found a jewelers loupe glued to a pair of dollar tree glasses hard to beat for working with these tiny parts.

imo best place to start, whether c or asm, is the atmel datasheets. there are dozens of coding examples in both languages for every peripheral. next step up would be the atmel app notes. they used to be all in one place and easy to locate but last time i was in there looks like that might be a little trickier. or maybe im just not familiar with the new site. one of the last places id go to learn is freaks. some people love it but imo the best contributors have been driven off. its pretty much dominated by a few boobs who are grossly incopetent in hardware and assembly (ie c girls. lol!). unfortunately one is a moderator. its not obvious from his manner but hes one of the least competent in those areas. nasty habit of surreptitiously editing and deleting. if i ran a forum id do like rcg and discourage moderators from membership. i do post there but more for entertainment than anything constructive. you might be lucky and get help from the few real gurus hiding in the bush. but its rare these days.

as you might notice from midelics travails this is an excellent project to cut your avr teeth on. c++ was forced upon me in school but i dont see any application in the embedded world. nothing but bloat and obfuscaton. "oop" sums it up. plain old c yes, ++ no. whatever language you choose rolling up your sleeves and jumping in with even minimal debugging tools is all you need. good luck.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:48 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Again Thank you. Im a hard nosed Marine corp combat vet when I set to do something it gets done at any cost. I just find relaxing a bit more injoyable then learning these days. Once I do get started tho Ill see it through. It was easy building PCBs and little adapters for chips to fit my programer for the IR stuff. I do toner type resist PCB for some really tiny stuff I just layed out with a fine point sharpie and cut traces with an exacto knife through the clad. My thought is to build this deadbug style but also to sand or grind down the components to critical limits to keep weight as low as possible would like to get it down to 75mg but 100mg would be good for what I need it for. I like tiny planes mostly 1/72 scale 2.8g AUW but I want a sub gram flyer.gonna go hunt down some info get started.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:52 PM
Beijing Capital, China
Joined Mar 2004
62 Posts
dave1993,
Thanks you answer, I know a little C language,I have no time to learn ASM language, ThierryRC's code is ASM language, It difficult to understand, DIY fun is making add undstanding!
jpshu is offline Find More Posts by jpshu
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:13 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
... i did pick up a stereo microscope last year but found a jewelers loupe glued to a pair of dollar tree glasses hard to beat for working with these tiny parts...
Hi dave.

Could you post a photo of this setup?

Thanks!
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:02 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Ok Bought an Arduino Mega 2560 and some recomended reads I have breadboards and such gonna get busy reading while I wait for the controler. I want to start off doing things to stay interested
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:43 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFl View Post
Hi dave.

Could you post a photo of this setup?

Thanks!
heres a pic of the tools i use for hobby building. both through hole and smd, pc boards and deadbug. this setup is so so cheap i can keep duplicate sets at my various geographic locations (school, work, home, etc) and often carry a set around in a plastic bag when traveling. the photo is for another non-rc site but does show those glasses i was talking about. some have harbor freight 10x jewelers loupe glued on but surplus lens was used for the one shown. dont matter as long as you end up with around 40x-50x total magnification.

note the HUGE chisel tip iron. may be counterintuitive but i find this far better for fine pitch ic soldering than the more popular dainty fine point "girlie" tips. also notice the v shaped thing upper left above the dikes. its a couple 0402 leds wired to test leads. this has proven better in some cases than meter or scope. so as you can see its not necessary to spend big bucks for a useful setup.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:15 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Thanks, Dave.

Have you tried to attach two loupes, for stereoscopic view?
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:07 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,040 Posts
yes, and that didnt work out well. the chip is rarely more than 1/2" from the lens so two dont work. unless maybe you are examining two components at once, one with left eye and hand and other with right eye and hand. lol!. also its very important to switch quickly between 50x, 5x, and 1x. this requires simultaneous clear view through the double lens, dollar glass lens, and over the top, w/o hassle. the stereo microscope wont do that, just gets in the way. anyway i dont see any use for stereo when soldering. distances and depth of field are so small it just dont matter.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Getting closer ...ok wasn't quite so simple.

Hope you don't mind me using your name on your work ?
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack