SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:11 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucc View Post
Disabled , you can solve this problem with water instead of lead.

When she 's on the water , you pump here hull full of water (waterbag inside the hull)
Basically you are right,
but I would need to have the (full size) fibreglass hull first,
to find out about that.

I think I┤ve found a better solution for that:
For comparing reasons with other hulls I┤ve copied the plan of the "Victory" to a scale of 1:80 allready. This fits perfectly with my foamhull method, as the framing distance is 20 mm now. Three frames are 60 mm then, which is the thickness of some foamboards I allready have at home. Using doublesided selfadhesive tape as before to glue them together, shape the block to the correct shape, mark the waterline - and then simply put it in the bathtube.

Which isn┤t much of a problem with a hull of about 68 cm from stem to stern, 18.5 cm width and 6.3 cm draft without keel. And then simply recalculate it to the size of my own hull.

I┤ve allready started cutting the foamframes. This is a dozen times faster than stripplanking up the hull with the plywoodframes as I wanna keep that one as it is now.
For me it┤s also quite interesting that 60 mm/ 6 cm is the maximum height the saw is able to cut.

Furthermore I discovered that 3 cm, 4,5 cm and 6 cm framedistances are very common for lots of different ship plans. So now I would be able to make foamhulls of a "Victory", a " Royal Catherine", a Dutch two-decker, a "Red Lion" and several more in a very fast way if I wanted to.
Compare different hull shapes, displacements, stabilities, CE┤s and so forth very fast and effective without having to spend hours and hours for calculations.

I can simply find out about that by experiment - by putting them in the bathtube and adding enough lead untill the hull floats exactly on it┤s CWL. As the foam is very light and the lead is quite heavy, also the estimation of the center of effort is quite precise - I just need to push/pull the small blocks of lead a bit forward or aftward to see how the CWL changes.
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Last edited by disabled; Dec 02, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:15 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disabled View Post
Well - the Royal Navy didn┤t want me either...so it┤s got to be a privateer...

But even a hangmat in the Royal Navy of that times can be a cosy place -
if you never had something you could call a home before...

Even the farts around you in the dark can become familiar...beans...
Here's the photo I had come across before. You'll want to include a few in your build.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
Here's the photo I had come across before. You'll want to include a few in your build.
Yep! Cozy - but not really Navy-Style, I think.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:36 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,052 Posts
New year, new chance.

At the age of 52 I find myself fooling around with model cannons, dolls und figures - thinking about a big cross section model in dollhouse style - and thinking about proper proportions of that stuff at the same time.

And just for the taste of it, I even bought myself a real flintlock black powder pirate gun. 0.58 calibre . Sometimes it can be fun to act so childish...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Lucc,

Water ballast in a round bottomed galleon? I would certainly prefer the density of lead to get the center of gravity as low as possible. Ballasted with water would she be about as stable as the (in)famous Vassa of the period.
RCLurker is offline Find More Posts by RCLurker
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLurker View Post
Lucc,

Water ballast in a round bottomed galleon? I would certainly prefer the density of lead to get the center of gravity as low as possible. Ballasted with water would she be about as stable as the (in)famous Vassa of the period.
You have a point...but if the water is evenly distributed and the deposit is completly empty of air...the water shouldn't move at all, right??

Of course, lead does have an advantage of being dense...

I have one question, where will you store a 1/16 scale galleon?? I mean, my parents are all for chking me out of the house. I filled it up with rocks and geological models...theres enough to build a small cottage
Issus38 is offline Find More Posts by Issus38