SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Discussion
Something a bit different...

Normally I build from wood, coroplast, foam balsa and save the carbon for spars.

I have finally got my machine shop setup in the garage...

Just to try out the lathe and mill I made a simple motor mount for a 24mm brushless, I left room for a gearbox, the fuse will be a single carbon spar.

Wingspan will be 36 inches and the wing and tail feathers cut from EPP my my own CNC.

The wing mounting will hold the ESC, RX, battery and 2 of the 4 servos. It will be movable to set the CG.

I'd like to come in at about 10 to 12 ounces max, but be a bit stylish with cabon and brushed aluminum finishes.

No set time for completion, one of those back burner toys.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,920 Posts
What do you have for a mill and lathe? I would give my right testicle for one of each.

I used to work in a machine shop. Did a tiny bit of mold building but mostly tool repair and set up. Those were good times.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,626 Posts
Harbor Freight Mini Mill and the 8x12 lathe.

Then you have to but a bunch of accessories and tools... Some of it SHOULD have come with the lathe like a tail stock chuck... separate purchase...

I bought both 5 years ago with a coupon... I spent $900 or so on that pair, the price on the pair has gone up some and they rarely have a deal... I had it on a wish list for a year and waited, I don't know if that has anything to do when they offer a discount or not. That may just have been a coincidence.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...