HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Park Zone Radian Plug and Play

Being brand new to the RC world (2 months) I am looking for some advice please. I recently purchased a Radian plug and play plane and had it out once for two disasterous flights. It took off like a dream and then all hell broke loose. I had very little control (it was overreacting) and hit the ground twice thankfully with very little damage. My learning experience witha good trainer was with an Easy Star which I feel I flew quite well. I fly this Radian with a Hitec Aurora 9 Radio and after looking at the radio settings which were at 100 % settings under the heading T Limit for the rudder and the same under the elevator settings. Should these settings be less such as around 60 % ? Any suggestions you can offer is appreciated.
dougbthom is offline Find More Posts by dougbthom
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
398 Posts
The T Limit is where you set the max throws for the servos after channel mixing. Since multiple inputs can be mixed together onto one output channel, you can exceed 100% throw even if the individual inputs are less than 100%. Elevon mixing is a very common example.

Even if you want to do some rudder to elevator mixing, you can still leave the T Limit at 100%. Just use the dual rate/expo screen to control your surface movements. Doesn't the Radian manual provide recommended control surface movement?

Keep in mind that the Radian wants to climb *steeply* under full power. It will sometimes do a loop if you don't give a little down elevator.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old May 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
How did your glide test go?

Try this: Get it trimmed out and gliding nicely to start with. Once you are comfortable there, face into the wind, and launch with a bit over 1/2 throttle with the nose angled up just a bit. Get stable, give it a bit more power, keeping the nose no more than 45 degrees to vertical. Get it up around 200 feet, kill the motor, and get your glide stable. Trim if need be.

SMALL inputs on the sticks, Bud. To turn, just tap the rudder slightly. It'll lean over into the turn and the nose will drop slightly. It'll start to trun, then level out. Tap again to continue your turn.

To land, start way down wind without power, and let it descend on it's own. Into the wind, it's moving very slowly. Don't nose into the turf, but don't stall either.
paxfish is offline Find More Posts by paxfish
Old May 02, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
11 Posts
Radian

Thanks for the replies and the good advice. I'll take it. I have a feeling that most of the problem I had was with the radio settings being way too high. I'm going to lower the rudder setting to 60% and the elevator to 70% and try that and see how that goes.
dougbthom is offline Find More Posts by dougbthom
Old May 02, 2012, 02:30 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
398 Posts
Just make sure you do that adjustment on the dual rate screen (D/R EXP), not the T Limit screen. Making changes on the T Limit screen will control the max throws, but will not change the sensitivity of the controls. Lowering the % on the D/R EXP screen will make the model easier to control.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu