SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
I think you'll find the install to be quite easy.
One heads up. The screws that hold the B motor onto the mounting plate are barely long enough. At least they were with mine.
You may have to ditch the washers or use thinner ones.
H&H is offline Find More Posts by H&H
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&H View Post
I think you'll find the install to be quite easy.
One heads up. The screws that hold the B motor onto the mounting plate are barely long enough. At least they were with mine.
You may have to ditch the washers or use thinner ones.
You are absolutely right. I did not use the washers but I am wondering if you have a longer set of screws you suggest, so I can use the washers. I think the washers are needed for the extra heat protection of the plastic base.
Thetis is offline Find More Posts by Thetis
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
thetis....how is the upgrade coming along.......pault
Pault, I did the mod this morning and it is a straight forward one. It took me around two hours but keep in mind I am not mechanically or electronically inclined. See the attached pictures of my progress. I had the opportunity to compare the HK BL set I bought couple of months ago vs the stock. Now that I know I think I can do the HK as well with no problems. It will take a little more time since you need to manually prepare the connectors and mount the pinions, but that's it. I think you cannot beat the HK BL vs the X350 brushed motors replacement. What is left is to put the zip ties and taken her for a test. All systems perform properly as per instructions on my bench. Last but not least you must install the HP shaft, which is a prerequisite for the BL mod. In addition I would like to thank H&H for his assistance.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:45 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
BL Test flight

I flew her for few mins and everything was working OK, until came down from hovering 3 feet above ground. Back to the bench and I found out motor B was moved and the pinion was not engaging with the gearI guess I have to find longer screws and use the washers and until then no more flying. What Extreme flyers are using the same screws with not only the washers but along the heat insulation plate under motor B. Daaahh Any clue where can I find longer motor mount screws?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
2mm screws. I didn't get the legnth cuz I kept dropping the pissing thing every time I tried to measure it.
A Hardware store or a well stocked Hobby shop should have em
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:41 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Quote:
2mm screws. I didn't get the legnth cuz I kept dropping the pissing thing every time I tried to measure it.
A Hardware store or a well stocked Hobby shop should have em
I am wondering how did you manage and I cannot? Same screws with same washers. I admit you have warned me before attempting the mod.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
I took the Isolation washers off one side
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
tishomingo,oklahoma
Joined Aug 2003
70 Posts
i picked up my bl upgrade from local hobby shop....it was the one for the military heli.....he sent it back...will have the correct one friday.....thanks for posting your installation thetis.paul
pault is offline Find More Posts by pault
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:20 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Well, I found out that one tooth of the gear B is broken. Just ordered another main gear (B) which by the way is the second in the row I do not know is it me or the Heli?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:58 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
H&H, can you post a pic on how you tucked all the wires et al. The way I did it the stock canopy does not fit and I had to use the eFlite 400 canopy which accommodates all. I am just curious.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:02 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
my bundle job is embarrassing and I shouldn't post it. But here it is......
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics. I don't understand why these ESCs are so big vs the motors which are so small. Anyway, as soon as I will get the gear I hope I will do a better job this time. BTW I have located the 2mm x 6 screws which are needed for the B motor proper mounting. I will pick them up tomorrow. What canopy is this?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
H&H
H&H Hobbies
Old mystic CT U.S.A.
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
Clear "Sport" Canopy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:26 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Quote:
I took the Isolation washers off one side
I took both out and they are still sort. We need 2mmx6 to be long enough to hold the motor in place and not destroy the gear in a crash or hard landing by slipping out. My 0.02 cents
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:20 AM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
i picked up my bl upgrade from local hobby shop....it was the one for the military heli.....he sent it back...will have the correct one friday.....thanks for posting your installation thetis.paul
Pault, I am attaching a pic showing the kit mounting B motor screw with the washer vs what I use now for the proper and secure mounting of motor B. As you will see it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out Just make sure you follow my suggestion since it cost me another B gear (motor B got off and chew the gear) plus the aggravation. Since there are four 2mm x 6 screws in the package I will replace the motor A screws as well just to be on the safe side. I used the brushed motors washers too. Good luck with the mod.