SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:59 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,197 Posts
Can't wait to see!!

Thomas I never even thought about it... but I imagine since you have this plane in the EDF Jets section that you plan on either doing EDF with it or offering it as an EDF plane?

This baby is going to need some real heat to fly!!

what are your plans? just curious
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
Can't wait to see!!

Thomas I never even thought about it... but I imagine since you have this plane in the EDF Jets section that you plan on either doing EDF with it or offering it as an EDF plane?

This baby is going to need some real heat to fly!!

what are your plans? just curious
Well... The first prototype or 2 will be turbine powered. I'm not much of a big EDF guy.. actually i've never messed with anything bigger than 70mm.. SOoooo i'm hoping one of you crazy guys out their who LOVE this big edf stuff will buy one of these things (at a discount) in exchange for doing a EDF conversion and building the inlet tooling and what not..

There should be plenty of inlet area to get a 100-110% FSA on any of the available fans right now.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts

Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts
Horizontal stabilizer Destructive testing:

How to DESTROY! I mean BUILD an F-14D Tomcat #59 (19 min 31 sec)
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:39 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Well... The first prototype or 2 will be turbine powered. I'm not much of a big EDF guy.. actually i've never messed with anything bigger than 70mm.. SOoooo i'm hoping one of you crazy guys out their who LOVE this big edf stuff will buy one of these things (at a discount) in exchange for doing a EDF conversion and building the inlet tooling and what not..

There should be plenty of inlet area to get a 100-110% FSA on any of the available fans right now.
How large are the inlets on this bird? I would think they should be large enough to feed a TF8000 (145mm dia.) with lots of fresh air, so that would be the way to go I think, a pair of these on 10kW each should be sufficient. What kind of turbines do you plan to run, 2 x 160N ?
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth View Post
How large are the inlets on this bird? I would think they should be large enough to feed a TF8000 (145mm dia.) with lots of fresh air, so that would be the way to go I think, a pair of these on 10kW each should be sufficient. What kind of turbines do you plan to run, 2 x 160N ?
The inlets are 5"x6"..

for turbines, anything from 28lbs of thrust or up should be sufficient..
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,450 Posts
Inlets are huge

FSA of the TF8000 is 133cm2 and 5"x6" inlets are 193cm2 so they are actually way more than is needed to feed the fan. At least there is lots of room to add nice fat inlet lips without compromising the size of the inlet ducting.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Inlets are huge

FSA of the TF8000 is 133cm2 and 5"x6" inlets are 193cm2 so they are actually way more than is needed to feed the fan.
so... 20kw per side maybe
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,450 Posts
If I was to do something like this, here's the fan I would use : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533787
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
If I was to do something like this, here's the fan I would use : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533787
When i first saw that fan in the post, it is what made me want to do an EDF version of my F-14 even more... I'm expecting to carry 150-160oz of Jet-A per turbine (300-320oz total), that is 17 pounds of fuel. If the fan/motor/esc equals the weight of the turbine install, and the batteries equals the weight of the fuel, and the fan is putting out 30-34lbs of thrust, then you would have nearly identical performance between the 2 versions.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:23 PM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,450 Posts
I would estimate the fan/motor/esc weight to be close to 5lbs, and the batteries to feed this would be maybe 9-10lbs, so the total power system weight would end up at 28-30lbs. Now, it would also give 60lbs + of thrust, so the power is there for sure. But don't you guys have a 55lbs weight limit to stay under? That only leaves 25lbs for the rest of the airplane and it sounds to me like it might be a hard target to reach.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:06 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,197 Posts
could you imagine what a beast this thing would be with twin TF 8000

man on man.....12s 10000 mah per side... sweet with 8 x 6s 5000 mah packs

nice thing is packs have gotten so much cheaper it would be that bad to buy them all.... and you can slap all 8 on a single power lab 8 and charge them at 40 amps in a little over an hour
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:27 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,592 Posts
With the right amount of power even an edf can flame-out, and it's still bad news. It's just that the flames are pouring out instead of going out.
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 05:31 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
Impressive strength with the Stab part! Kind of sad to see it destroyed since it looked so nice. Really amazing to see a part and how fantastic the details have come out on it.
I wonder how much less strong it will be once you complete all your weight saving measures.
android78 is online now Find More Posts by android78
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
I would estimate the fan/motor/esc weight to be close to 5lbs, and the batteries to feed this would be maybe 9-10lbs, so the total power system weight would end up at 28-30lbs. Now, it would also give 60lbs + of thrust, so the power is there for sure. But don't you guys have a 55lbs weight limit to stay under? That only leaves 25lbs for the rest of the airplane and it sounds to me like it might be a hard target to reach.
We can go over 55lbs, it just becomes slightly more involved of a process. I expect the bare airframe with gear, door and wing systems to weight around 20-25 lbs