HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:00 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Discussion
Tuned Mini pipe or full tuned pipe???

Hi folks,
I have several mini tuned pipes, Jett and Westun UK.
I'm happy with the extra performance they both give me. However, the Jett is very very loud!!
However, i'm told that a full tuned pipe would give me alot more overall performance than the mini pipes.
Is that really the case??
I'd like a few opinions from memebers who have compared them or seen them compared??
Cheers!
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:33 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,052 Posts
Mini tuned pipes can give a bit of extra power but they're not tuneable so you have to select a prop that gives the revs needed for the tuning to take effect. Full length pipes though can be tuned over a wide rev range by adjusting their length for the prop you want to use. The power increase though depends on the type of pipe. Some give a reasonable increase in power and are easy to set up for sports type engines while others (with an engine designed to be run only on a pipe) give an OMG!!! increase in power .

The best type of pipe for sports use is the one with a baffle about 3/4 along the pipe, the last 1/4 of the pipe acts like a muffler.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Feb 09, 2011, 01:39 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Mini tuned pipes can give a bit of extra power but they're not tuneable so you have to select a prop that gives the revs needed for the tuning to take effect. Full length pipes though can be tuned over a wide rev range by adjusting their length for the prop you want to use. The power increase though depends on the type of pipe. Some give a reasonable increase in power and are easy to set up for sports type engines while others (with an engine designed to be run only on a pipe) give an OMG!!! increase in power .

The best type of pipe for sports use is the one with a baffle about 3/4 along the pipe, the last 1/4 of the pipe acts like a muffler.
Sorry to sound dim Downunder, but what do you mean by the baffle being 3/4along the pipe and the last 3/4 being the baffle?
A picture would be nice if possible?
Old Feb 09, 2011, 02:32 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,716 Posts
Here you go, more than you might ever want to know:
http://www.tmfc.org.uk/info/pipes.html

Flat disk pipe this is the one that has a muffler in the rear section making them more quiet. It is basically a fixed length pipe with a muffler built into the rear end of it.

Twin cone pipe, designed to widen the power band RPM range.

Fixed length pipe this yeilds the most power from a engine, but can be very loud. It also has to be tuned as its power band can be very narrow, depending on the design.

Mini pipe fixed length not adjustable
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:07 AM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Here you go, more than you might ever want to know:
http://www.tmfc.org.uk/info/pipes.html

Flat disk pipe this is the one that has a muffler in the rear section making them more quiet. It is basically a fixed length pipe with a muffler built into the rear end of it.

Twin cone pipe, designed to widen the power band RPM range.

Fixed length pipe this yeilds the most power from a engine, but can be very loud. It also has to be tuned as its power band can be very narrow, depending on the design.

Mini pipe fixed length not adjustable
Cheers Earl!