HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,528 Posts
Easiest way is to open a free account at www.photobucket.com, and then post your pics. What I usually do is take it with a cell phone or a digital camera and get it into my computer (by email or direct load), and save it. Then on photobucket, you get the option to upload a pic from your computer, and then you can use that to post online anywhere. The IMG function is the one you want to cut and paste here, and then the picture will be on your post.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:28 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
Actually the easiest way is to upload them to the RC Groups server.

Don't use the "Post Quick Reply", use the "Go Advanced" button. Use the "Manage Attachments" button to chose the photos you want to include.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Jul 12, 2013, 09:13 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
Actually the easiest way is to upload them to the RC Groups server.

Don't use the "Post Quick Reply", use the "Go Advanced" button. Use the "Manage Attachments" button to chose the photos you want to include.
Okay I was wondering about that. I think I'll start using that too. Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 07:33 AM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
That's pretty much what I'd want out of a turbo V8 240Z too. Mild-mannered until you get up to 3000 rpm, then you hear an ominous whistle that sounds like a jet is landing behind you. Then the power builds quickly until above 3500 rpm, it feels like that same jet just rear-ended you and the car goes apeshit.

That way, it's nice and calm when the authorities are around, but then it'll school almost anything out there when you let the tiger out of its cage.
...some day.
good stuff got any pics of this project?

more pics of my ap2 and my mint '95 Legend

bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,528 Posts
[QUOTE=bboarder711;25566839]good stuff got any pics of this project?

[QUOTE]

Oh no. The turbo 240Z project is strictly a future dream at this stage. My wife says I'd have to sell the Corvette first. And I am NOT ready to sell my 1968 Corvette yet.

I do have the motor I'll use. It's a 283 actually. Very rev-happy little motors, but not a whole lot of torque. Right now, I'm using it in my 1952 GMC pickup truck, but someday, I'll replace that with a supercharged 350. Then the 283 will need a new home, and due to its lack of low-end torque, a lightweight car will be necessary. I have a couple of TPI setups off of 4th gen Corvettes and a 3rd gen F-body, one of which is complete with harness. I'll use that, and probably a perfectly-sized single turbocharger. Although twin turbos is a possibility too. Just depends on what I find when the time comes.

I plan on painting the 240Z with a P-51 fighter plane motiff. I mocked up the concept in a 1:24 scale model to see how I like it. (You'll have to ignore the Hillborn stacks sticking up through the hood, I just did that because it made the model look cooler). The 4 exhaust pipes sticking out underneath each side of the 240Z would be functional. 3 will be through muffler, and the 4th would be an electronic bypass valve, for uncorked exhaust during racing. Here's a pic of the concept...
(Yes it's only a model, but I am an avid modeller).

Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
Canada, QC
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
1999 Ford Contour SVT

This is the best car I ever had !
mcfast is offline Find More Posts by mcfast
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Not sure why anyone would replace the 6 in a Datsun 240Z. If one follows Vizard's book on Datsun engines, one can get LOTS of performance out of the 6 without ruining the handling. Does every hot ride have to be a drag car?
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 24, 2013, 02:18 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Not sure why anyone would replace the 6 in a Datsun 240Z. If one follows Vizard's book on Datsun engines, one can get LOTS of performance out of the 6 without ruining the handling. Does every hot ride have to be a drag car?
Yes.

Old Aug 24, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
yes.

+1
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:17 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Apparently so, which is a shame
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Apparently so, which is a shame
Yup. Oh well.

But you know something, I only swap engines in cars when it's not the original engine. If I had a car with a good original engine, I'd leave it be.
That's why I purposely look for cars that don't.

Those are perfect candidates for hotrodding.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:50 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Yup. Oh well.

But you know something, I only swap engines in cars when it's not the original engine. If I had a car with a good original engine, I'd leave it be.
That's why I purposely look for cars that don't.

Those are perfect candidates for hotrodding.
It's just a shame when the car was such a corner carver in its inception. Nothing wrong with extra HP, but why only work on going 1 direction?

I hate seeing Supra motors put into my car for the same reason. Not to mention its short wheelbase doesn't warrant crazy high HP & speed. But she's the ideal corner carver, and I love her for it...

Also, a video is worth a thousand words @ 25wps
Untitled (7 min 4 sec)

(Also some of my previous rides below.)
Last edited by habitforming; Aug 24, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:12 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
I forgot to include this one. While not mine, I'm building it with a good friend (admittedly it has stalled greatly in the past year). We finally have the new subframe & mounts made up for the engine & trans. We still have half of the diff mount and then time to order custom driveshaft & axles. Should be around 300-350 hp, and hopefully we come in under 2000lb dry.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:11 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
What is it and what are you repowering it with? Race car stripped weight?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
It's just a shame when the car was such a corner carver in its inception. Nothing wrong with extra HP, but why only work on going 1 direction?

I hate seeing Supra motors put into my car for the same reason. Not to mention its short wheelbase doesn't warrant crazy high HP & speed. But she's the ideal corner carver, and I love her for it...
That's a popular misconception.
Nearest I could tell from an internet search, the Datsun 2.4 liter L24 engine weighed 425 lbs. I don't know if I believe that because straight sixes are usually a lot heavier than V8s.

Well, an LS1 motor weighs 390 pounds. That's two more cylinders and less weight in a more compact space. And the LS series of motor went all the way up to 656 hp in its top models. The LS2 is a 400 hp motor and the LS1 wasn't too shabby at 340 hp. If you want a corner carver, the LS motor would give you a far quicker car that would corner just as good or better.

Just because a car has a straight six does not mean that it's automatically better at handling than a V8. I have a '68 Corvette with a 427 big block engine that is built for open road racing, and it makes 630 hp at sea level. It is anything but a drag car, although it would be respectable at that as well. It has every suspension trick in the book, modern urethane bushings, fully independent front and rear suspension, 4 wheel huge disk brakes and a close ratio Muncie 4 speed transmission that you won't find more perfect gear ratios on. And with all that power, the Corvette only weighs 3222 pounds. Yes it's heavier, but it has an almost perfect front rear weight balance and is actually a front mid-engined car. Plus it's far more powerful and has a better power to weight ratio.

I would put that car up against any stock 240Z on a road course and blow it right into the weeds. It won't keep up in the corners and it won't keep up in the straights.
In fact, I'd put it up against any Ferarri and beat them at their own game too.

It's an age-old argument to keep a car original or soup it up. Our parents' generation argued it and so did our grand parents' generation. If you know what you're doing, souping up a car will not harm its handling prowess at all. In fact, it can be enhanced.