HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2014, 09:38 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
F5j

The is the result of the F5J competition. OLY III held it's own against a good group of mouldies and pilots.
CONNELLMJ is offline Find More Posts by CONNELLMJ
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 08:39 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,250 Posts
I really need to fly this thing again. This thread is getting hard to resist.

Ray, I like the flying stab modification. I think that's going to be a real plus. The standard stab works very well though, so no worries.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Last edited by ejett; May 09, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old May 09, 2014, 08:49 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,036 Posts
No Ed, that thing looks aweful. Ship it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old May 09, 2014, 09:17 AM
TLAR Black Belt
Athens, LA, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mew09 View Post
Excuse the naive question. What keeps each stabilizer half from sliding off the wire joiners?
I smear a very thin layer of rubber cement on my wires to hold on the stab. I glue the wires in one side so as not to lose the wires and put rubber cement on the end of the pivot wire on the removable side. It doesn't stick aggressively so it will occasionally need a reapplication. Just enough to give a bit of friction to the wire.

EJ
ejett is offline Find More Posts by ejett
Old May 09, 2014, 02:40 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
No Ed, that thing looks aweful. Ship it to me and I'll dispose of it properly.

It sure does look awful, but I'll pay for the shipping to my place.

Ed, hope all is well for you and your son.

Mike, hope your contests are going well for you ... practice ... practice ... practice.

Ray
Woodys Forever
Skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old May 09, 2014, 07:54 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
957 Posts
EJ,

That thing's Purdy.

I need to get mine back in the air. I hid it in the closet. It's been crying to me every time I go into the closet.

The only thing is mine has one of those twirly things on the nose. I must have spent at least 4 hours sanding and shaping the nose on my Oly III, then cut the nose off and installed a motor.
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old May 28, 2014, 02:23 PM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Thanks Ray.

A few images of OLY III in flight and competition. I am gradually learning and doing O.K. 4th place the best so far. F5J is OLYIII's favourite as the mouldies cannot shoot to great height. They can but it will cost them a lot of minus points. I am trying to sort out the correct ballast for the wind. I have some small bags of lead shot. Any advice would be welcome. The next comp is on the 8th June. The weather in the U K is not good so practise is difficult at the moment. There is no fun in flying in high winds.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:01 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
708 Posts
She's a beautiful airship. Thanks for sharing the photos. Inspires me to get back to my build after a 2-month hiatus of overwhelming family stuff...
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven
Old May 31, 2014, 04:26 AM
United Kingdom, Hythe
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Oly iii

When launching into the wind I felt it was struggling and falling short of 200 metres. I was using a 3 cell battery. I did not check with my watt meter which was a mistake. I uprated to a 4 cell battery and OLY III got to 200 metres in 18 seconds. I then used my watt meter and I was pulling 1000 + watts and an average of 75 amps peaking at 80 amps. This was on 70 amp ESC. This is not good. I use a separate UBEC so if a failure had taken place I would not have lost the glider. I have reduced the propeller size and am getting 800 watts at 55 amp average. That's acceptable and the ESC should survive. I use a good quality Jeti ESC, and Castle creations UBEC.

The winter project is looking like OLY Crossover with wing extensions and the new stub. I will stay with a wood fuse covered in matt and polycrylic. Hobbyking have recently put on the market a cheap glider motor at $36.00. It will produce 800 watts and is 38mm in diameter. I intend to use this.

I was thinking of a Merlyn but I think it is too heavy for F5J. It was designed for cross country.

I have not finally made my mind up at this time. I don't have to order until August.