SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
Discussion
First Blade 600x FLB Build and need Help

This is my first 12s setup FLB build and I have no idea how to hook up the electronics. Any help from you experts are greatly appreciated. Please take a look at the pic and tell me what I did wrong. My question are: Do I need to hook up both batteries just to bind and do the setup, or can I use one battery. Do I need to hook up BOTH the esc and bec to do the binding and setup or can I use one or the other. I contacted Horizon Hobby and asked about their Eflite 10amp External BEC and they said the BEC is to power up the RX and the esc was not needed. I am confused at this point and don't know what is the right way to go. I noticed there are two wires coming out the BEC and two wires coming out from the ESC. Where do they plug into?
theone2007 is offline Find More Posts by theone2007
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2015, 08:18 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
You only need one battery to power the BEC when setting up. The ESC only needs to be powered when it comes time to set the ESC up

So the connectors where you have the question marks:
  • Two servo type plug leads coming from the BEC - these both go to the flybarless controller. If there is no spare connection for the second one then use a Y lead into the FBL controller's throttle connection for one of them.
  • The two servo plug leads from the YEP ESC - the short one is only for programming the ESC and isnt normally connected to anything. The longer lead goes to the throttle connection on the FBL controller (or into one branch of the Y lead if you fitted one there for the second BEC output)
The reason for two outputs from the BEC is that each servo plug can only safely handle anout 5 Amps.. so you need two to take the full BEC output.

So the missing components that you will need to get the whole thing working are:
  • A receiver (or satellite recievers)
  • Programming card to set up the YEP ESC.
I'm guessing you have the servos already. I also assume you appreciate that the battery in the photo is too small, you need a pair of 6s batteries of around 3300mAh or so for that heli.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Mar 20, 2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
Jetplaneflyer, thank you for your reply. I was able to bind my DX6i to the Ikon but during setup of the radio, I could not get the aileron, elevator,rudder to be full throw to %100 and it turn green color in the Ikon software setup. I already maxed out on my DX6i travel adjustment to %125. Am I missing something on the DX6i?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:31 AM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
Full right stick and I only get %94 on the ikon setup software and I am already max out on my DX6i travel adjustment to %125. I could not get any think to be %100 on the ikon setup and I am already max out on the DX6i
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:22 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
You don't have rates set at something less than 100% by any chance? Go into the rates menu and see what is set. If all else fails you could increase rates to over 100% but it shouldn't be necessary.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
Where do I go to find the rates in my DX6i, I dont see an option to change the rates. I am calling Horizon Hobby as I type this to see if they have any clue why it does that. Could it be I got a lemon DX6i?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:39 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
It's in the 'dual rate & Expo' menu, on page 14 of the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/DX6i-Manual_EN.pdf
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
the dual rate/expo is factory set at %100 for aileron, elevator , and rudder and next to it said "INH"
Old Mar 20, 2015, 03:28 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
Only thing i can suggest then to get that bit of extra travel is to increase the rate to a value greater than 100%... seems odd that you have to do that though.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 05:03 PM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
Called horizon and ask for their help and they said ikon is not their product so they can't help me....Well I guess I won't be buying anymore horizon radio since they aren't compatible with other products. Yes I will increase the rates but that is something I have never heard of.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 04:18 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
I do recall hearing something about the DX6i having less travel than most other radios. It's not a problem you would have on any of the current DX6 and up Spektrum radios. (The DX6i is in the process of being discontinued)... Not that that's much help to you at this point.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:34 AM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
I am putting my dx6i up for sale and halt the setup. Don't have much fund right now but which one do you recommend dx8 or dx9.. I don't ever see myself using no more than 6 channel. Been using the dx6i for 5 years now and I love it . If it wasn't for that travel adjustment problem I still be using it to the gimbles falls off.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 02:53 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
The DX8 is discontinued so you might be able to pick one up at a knock down price. If you want the new generation of Tx the new DX7 would probably fit your needs, the new DX6 is good too but has dry cell batteries that you might want to upgrade those to rechargeable with pushes the cost up a bit. The DX9 is great too but obviously a bit more expensive.

The new generation Tx's give you voice alerts, wireless trainer and more advanced programming.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
I will go with dx8...Where would I get one for $150??
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:13 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,775 Posts
eBay?.. Google search?

I'm not in the USA so cant really help on that one.