HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:55 PM
United States, AL, Springville
Joined Jun 2011
66 Posts
Discussion
3drankin as3xtra reviews

Hi, I recently sold one of my as3xtra airframe to a ebay customer.And he paid his local hobby shop to do the build. Then a few days later I received an email from the hobby shops owner with some bad comments on my design.

Would like to hear some reviews from some of you on rc groups that have bought my airframes. Thank you

Here is the email i received from the hobby shops owner.

Dear 3drankin205,

Unbelievable that you're proud to put your name on this sad excuse for an airplane. I just built one of your kits for a customer of mine in my hobby shop because he brought it to me with the idea it was "better" then then original airframe. We all laughed after seeing how it went together. None of your pre cut slots are in the right spot, your hinges just fall apart, and the end product doesn't fly half as good as the original. My customer wont even take it with him because he is so disappointed in the end result
3drankin is offline Find More Posts by 3drankin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: As3xtra service
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2014, 05:10 PM
RCG Hover King
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
847 Posts
C'mon.... Nobody's gonna answer?
Eagle2Nitro is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Hover King Title
Old Nov 09, 2014, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
128 Posts
I built one recently. I thought the build process was pretty straightforward, and wasn't hard to do following the photos that are posted for doing it. I don't get the comments about tabs not aligning, because everything seemed to fit together pretty well to me. It can be a little tricky getting some of the carbon fiber bracing into place, but I think that's more the nature of the style of the bracing in the original than a flaw in the replacement airframe.

Now, that said, so far I haven't had any luck with flying it. So far, I've found it to be totally impossible to control. But that said, I've spent a little bit of this last thursday night's flying session to try to get it working, and I haven't had a chance to start working through my issues to figure out why it's misbehaving, and I don't know yet whether it's simply a matter of me having screwed something up assembling it. (If I remember properly, I was having a lot of issue with it rolling badly to the left.) I only had a limited amount of time to work on it because I had to leave our evening flying session early, so it'll probably be a few weeks before I can get back to looking at it.

Now, I also got the 4-site replacement airframe at the same time, and I'd have to say I've had more luck with that. I did find it trickier to assemble (especially since the photos in the thread about it only seem to go part way through the assembly process ), but so far I'm pretty happy with the way it flies. It's pretty true to the original 4-site in flying characteristics. Took a few flights to get the balance point where I was happy with it, but once I got that, I've been pretty happy with the way it's flown. Have had occasional issues where it seems to completely get out of trim suddenly for some reason, but I think that might be because I think I have too much gap between the body and rudder. I haven't tried fixing that yet, but I had a number of successful flights on it at the Horizon Indoor event this weekend.

So for me, even if only one of the two ends up being a success (and I'm not giving up on the as3xtra one yet), I'd be pretty content. The pricing is such that even if it turns into a failure, I don't feel I've wasted a lot of money on it.
cardsQC is offline Find More Posts by cardsQC
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:02 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
390 Posts
I think you'd know if the hinges fell apart and things didn't line up. I mean you've been building these things for some time now. I've been intending to order one once I destroy my AS3extra but it's been holding up pretty well :P
Once I get around to ordering, I'll give you my honest impressions.
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:58 PM
Joined Oct 2010
128 Posts
Yeah, I managed to trash my first as3xtra, which is why I decided to give it a try. But I definitely didn't see issues with the hinges or things lining up. Heck, with the hinges, even if they fail, you just use some tape to put them back anyways. (And for me, they've held together fine even through some banging around.)
cardsQC is offline Find More Posts by cardsQC
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:23 AM
United States, AL, Springville
Joined Jun 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drankin View Post
Hi, I recently sold one of my as3xtra airframe to a ebay customer.And he paid his local hobby shop to do the build. Then a few days later I received an email from the hobby shops owner with some bad comments on my design.

Would like to hear some reviews from some of you on rc groups that have bought my airframes. Thank you

Here is the email i received from the hobby shops owner.

Dear 3drankin205,

Unbelievable that you're proud to put your name on this sad excuse for an airplane. I just built one of your kits for a customer of mine in my hobby shop because he brought it to me with the idea it was "better" then then original airframe. We all laughed after seeing how it went together. None of your pre cut slots are in the right spot, your hinges just fall apart, and the end product doesn't fly half as good as the original. My customer wont even take it with him because he is so disappointed in the end result
I felt bad for his experience with the hobby shops build so i decided to build one for him .
received this email a few days after he received the one i built.

Dear 3drankin205,

Hello,
I like flying your air frame better than
the factory AS3xtra, it flies great!! If I ship you my other AS3xtra in the
factory box with a return label, what would you charge me to build another
one with your frame and motor? I would also be putting one out on display
at the indoor flying and give your info.out for people to buy.
Thanks,
3drankin is offline Find More Posts by 3drankin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: As3xtra service
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:06 AM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Jan 2009
50 Posts
I just ordered mine a few minutes ago on eBay... I'll throw up a quick review when I get it, build and test fly it.
Shadow-D is offline Find More Posts by Shadow-D
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:52 AM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
859 Posts
3drankin:

Just because you received a negative review from a Local Hobby Shop (LHS) doesn't mean they know what there doing. Owning a LHS does not make you an expert. Nor does it make you a good builder.

It looks like you have a good following. Plus you fly what you build so from where I sit I'm thinking maybe the Hobby shop that tried to build your kit was substandard in there skills?

Many years ago I worked for a guy that owned a Hobby Shop. I built 1500's from card board. They were really tough and great fliers. A 1500 was a Great Plains kit. Also a super good flier. Anyway, I sold the hell out of them. I also made fuel for $ 3.15 a gallon. Zero nitro. For .40's and up the nitro really was not required.

Anyway - don't take it so hard.

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:58 PM
Schenectady, NY
Joined Jan 2009
50 Posts
My air frame arrived today and my first thought when I saw the package was... "I didn't realize I ordered a pizza?!?"

The box was a little beat up and slightly bent, as you can see from the pictures, but not that bad... I've seen boxes come in way worse.

When I opened the box, I expected to see a large pepperoni, mushroom & sausage pizza... Instead I found a well secured air frame and push rods. I will say that it looked like something heavy was stacked on the box as there are some dents in the foam from the rods.

I did order a new hardware set EFLU5156 from my LHS and expect that to be in Wednesday or Thursday. In the meantime, I'm going to think of some kind of paint scheme for this plane as I'm not a fan of all white.

In all at this point I have to give this a A- as the box could have been a little stronger. After I get the rest of the parts and get this plane assembled, I will give a revised grade. Untill then I have attached a few pictures...
Shadow-D is offline Find More Posts by Shadow-D
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:21 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
651 Posts
3 out of 3 winners, very happy!

I would have responded to this thread sooner but just noticed it.

I have been very happy with all the AS3Xtra frames I have from 3drankin. The first has 100's of flights, maybe thousands. It has outlasted 5 motors. It is what I learned (am learning) 3D on. I had flown mostly RE before so I pretty much learned ailerons on it too. Lots of crashes, mostly on grass, but some trees and gym floors. Just remember to throttle down before impact.

It was my first build of this type plane and it came out a bit heavier than optimal but flys fine. A few repairs and it is gaining weight. Figured I would wait for it to wear out and then move the electronics to another, lighter, 3drankin AS3Xtra. But it just keeps on keeping on!

Got tired of waiting so took out the electronics anyway ( Planning to put 2 cell brushless brick and motor in it!) and put them in a new 3drankin AS3Xtra. That one went together well, too. Planning to post video but storms and 20MPH winds are delaying that.

I also built another 3drankin AS3Xtra and put non-as3x brick in it so I could learn more. It went together well and flies great.

3 out of 3 are winners. I did have to modify the motor cut out to get perfect fit on one of them but I had an exacto knife and 30 seconds so it was no problem.

If the hobby shop owner had followed the build guide the hinges would have been nearly indestructible. You might consider putting a piece of paper in the shipping box to link to the build guide to help the newbies find it.

I haven't had trouble with tabs lining up but but if one does, how hard is it to fix with exacto?

Sharpie markers decorate them.

I really appreciate your airframes and tell every one so. I probably would not have gotten into 3D without them. Keep up the great work and thanks.
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Last edited by Wid; Dec 01, 2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2014, 05:27 AM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
859 Posts
3drankin:

I rest my case. Not all local hobby shops know what they are doing.

Looks to me like your doing OK!

jack
pjdog350 is offline Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2014, 07:52 AM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
651 Posts
Quick, Nimble, Tough

As promised + crash tests last 60 seconds of video.
3D Free Style Foamy Fun (4 min 54 sec)
Wid is offline Find More Posts by Wid
Last edited by Wid; Dec 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM.