HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Question
3-Axis Control with FlyBar ?

Greetings All ----

Beginning the build of a 500 heli --- and wondering about this question.
From a stability viewpoint, has anyone seen any reports of attempts at adding three axis gyro control to a heli with a flybar ??

Any comments on this idea ? I know it is essential for flybarless designs, but would it be of any benefit to a traditional flybar design?

Comments, suggestions --- any info appreciated.

Cheers ---- Bob
apollomaker is offline Find More Posts by apollomaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollomaker View Post
Greetings All ----

Beginning the build of a 500 heli --- and wondering about this question.
From a stability viewpoint, has anyone seen any reports of attempts at adding three axis gyro control to a heli with a flybar ??

Any comments on this idea ? I know it is essential for flybarless designs, but would it be of any benefit to a traditional flybar design?

Comments, suggestions --- any info appreciated.

Cheers ---- Bob
Such a device does exist. It's called a Flymentor
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Such a device does exist. It's called a Flymentor
Howdy Xrayted --- and thanks for the feedback. Yes, the FlyMentor is a 3-axis gyro system with other features as well. I did look for comments they might have made as to impact on flybar systems but did not see any. Maybe someone might happen along that has tried a 3-axis gyro on a flybar rotor system and might have some comments as to the usefulness.

I am going to create a model of a 500 heli with 3-axis gyro on the Phoenix simulator (best as can be done) and see what might come from that study.

Thanks Again ---- Bob
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Howdy Xrayted --- and thanks for the feedback. Yes, the FlyMentor is a 3-axis gyro system with other features as well. I did look for comments they might have made as to impact on flybar systems but did not see any. Maybe someone might happen along that has tried a 3-axis gyro on a flybar rotor system and might have some comments as to the usefulness.

I am going to create a model of a 500 heli with 3-axis gyro on the Phoenix simulator (best as can be done) and see what might come from that study.

Thanks Again ---- Bob
Hi Bob. The Flymentor is made to work with a FB heli. Most other controllers are for FBL use only and cannot be used with a FB heli. If you go into Phoenix you will be able to set up something on the fly bar tab called active flybarless. This will bring the heli back to level and stabilize it whenever you let off the sticks. This will be the closest thing I think in Phoenix you can get to what the Flymentor training aid would do for you
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Hi Bob. The Flymentor is made to work with a FB heli. Most other controllers are for FBL use only and cannot be used with a FB heli. If you go into Phoenix you will be able to set up something on the fly bar tab called active flybarless. This will bring the heli back to level and stabilize it whenever you let off the sticks. This will be the closest thing I think in Phoenix you can get to what the Flymentor training aid would do for you
Hey, Thanks! -- I did not pick up the "with flybar" factor when I made my first pass through the Flymentor ad -- will do it again for sure. I had hoped to use an integrated receiver, mixer and gyro system but it looks like the Flymentor will give you several modules instead of one --- anyway I will investigate.

My reason for pursuing this course, is that eventually this 500GT will become a special build for camera work and stability, when I need it, especially in hover mode. And it should help with other stability issues as well. I am not a 3D pilot, just sport and scale type flying, and this is my first larger CP ship. Still on that part of the learning curve.

Thanks again for the info -- Much appreciated --- Bob
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Hey, Thanks! -- I did not pick up the "with flybar" factor when I made my first pass through the Flymentor ad -- will do it again for sure. I had hoped to use an integrated receiver, mixer and gyro system but it looks like the Flymentor will give you several modules instead of one --- anyway I will investigate.

My reason for pursuing this course, is that eventually this 500GT will become a special build for camera work and stability, when I need it, especially in hover mode. And it should help with other stability issues as well. I am not a 3D pilot, just sport and scale type flying, and this is my first larger CP ship. Still on that part of the learning curve.

Thanks again for the info -- Much appreciated --- Bob
You might want to consider the new Naza H system that just came out. It's for a flybarless setup, but that's a simple head change on your heli. Ive seen post from another user with it installed on a flybar 500, so it appears it can work with a flybar as well. It's an all in one box for FBL, tail gyro and GPS processor that connects up to a standard RX of your choice.

The advantage here is the GPS hold capability that will lock your heli into a fixed location within a couple feet square. You can still force it to move around, but it will stay at the exact same altitude and attitude without you having to worry about those functions. Flying around becomes very simple while filming. Flip it into manual mode and then fly like normal if you want, but the altitude and attitude lock would be great for scale flying also.

Similar technology from the same vendor was over $3K just last year, but this new setup is under $500 and puts it well within reach now for most of us.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/products/naza-h/feature/
Last edited by Xrayted; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:06 PM.