SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:31 PM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
603 Posts
I can't speak for those servos, I've never tried them, but any 3D bird I build now I run an external bec to pump up the voltage to 6 volts for the added torque and speed, that is if your esc does not have programmable bec output. I have no issues with the 65's in my HK Slick in the ailerons, I installed an HS 70 digital for the elevator, the 65mg didn't have the torque.
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 07:58 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,815 Posts
Gotcha. I know you guys just love the 390dmh to bits, and people chat up the 306g-hv a lot. so what i'm wondering is, are the 396v's just a high voltage version of the 390's.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:50 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Gotcha. I know you guys just love the 390dmh to bits, and people chat up the 306g-hv a lot. so what i'm wondering is, are the 396v's just a high voltage version of the 390's.
I think this is the HV version:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ec_22_5g_.html
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:35 PM
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Hi everyone,

Long time reader of rcgroups, but never really had much reason to register or post. Bought an HK Slick the other day though, and so here I am. I appreciate all of the great information about this plane posted here!

Ordered mine from the US East warehouse, and was pretty pumped that it was double boxed. The LiPo, motor and other stuff was bubble wrapped separately even.

Can't wait to fly her.

DaGimpster is offline Find More Posts by DaGimpster
Old Dec 26, 2014, 11:11 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,530 Posts
Cool DaGimpster. You will love the Slick and you will probably be even happier you have registered with RC Groups. Now it will be easy to follow threads and stay on top of topics that are important to you. I flew on and off over a 30 year time span. After I finally got serious I joined this forum and the resource has been priceless.

Hey, I am sure we're all curious about your setup, so....?
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2014, 01:47 AM
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome I started flying when I was about 12.. built my first plane (a Carl Goldberg Freedom 20!) in 1990 and moved up in skill over the years. I have been on hiatus for about 4 years, but finally have time to get back into the hobby.

My build is pretty basic, but:

NTM 3548-900
Turnigy Plush 60A ESC
Spektrum AR610
6V UBEC
4 x Savox-0255MG
Going to try running with 4S-2650mAh packs to start with

The only question marks right now are control surface hardware I'll use, and how much (if at all) I want to brace the fuselage. I'm a little iffy on the glue-in control horns too? I know tons of kits using those, but being "old school" I'm just so used to bolt-through plate horns.

I'm also thinking about upgrading the tailwheel to an Ohio Superstar leaf unit... I always liked how those handle and they look more scale

My immediate intentions are to sport fly the plane, but would like to learn some 3D skills as time goes on. That's a brave new world for me though, and I won't get too far ahead of myself.

I really do appreciate all of the great posts in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Cool DaGimpster. You will love the Slick and you will probably be even happier you have registered with RC Groups. Now it will be easy to follow threads and stay on top of topics that are important to you. I flew on and off over a 30 year time span. After I finally got serious I joined this forum and the resource has been priceless.

Hey, I am sure we're all curious about your setup, so....?
DaGimpster is offline Find More Posts by DaGimpster
Old Dec 27, 2014, 07:04 PM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
603 Posts
I got bored over the holiday season when there weren't any games on I wanted to watch so I broke out with Slick #2 I was planning to build when Slick #1 bit the dust, and it is almost finished. I used HS 65hb's in the wings and 65mg's on the tail until I found out the elevator servo didn't have enough torque so I installed an HS70 there. One this plane I plane to use 5065mg's in the wings and Hs70's in the tail. Using a not knife sure made for much easier covering removal, especially for the wings where they attach a bit recessed into the fuse.

DaGimster, one thing to be careful of is installing the servos in the tail, since the holes will require a bit of enlarging to get the servos to fit, be careful not to force them in as it will break the wood around them, I made that mistake on my first build. I also use a Sullivan tail wheel setup which I've had great success with. On Slick#1 I used the old school control arms with a backing plate and always wished I'd have used the stock setup so that is what I used this time. I made my own ball links and 2mm threaded rod. I do not care for the quick connects on a 3D capable plane. Your Savox servos are a great choice, I had to order my HS70's so I can't continue the build until they show up. Awesome plane, you'll love it!
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1