Closed Thread
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
What is the 'pin4-modification' you are doing?
Fred, use the "search this thread" function you find in the blue header bar. You can easily zoom in on the posts where this was discussed by searching for "pin 4".

The mod is a way to emulate what the car charger is doing with it's USB cord pin terminations, putting the +5V on pin 4 instead of the normal pin 1.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred79 View Post
What is the 'pin4-modification' you are doing?
Desoldering the 5V-cable of the USB from Pin 1 and solder it back to Pin 4 to simulate what the car charger cable does, so I can charge and record video at the same time resulting in much a longer recording. Could then be used e.g. with an USB Emergency Charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Your #3 camera did NOT load firmware for the HD camera, I can assure you. And the date removal for the #3 leaves the black background on the still pictures. The actual date stamp numbers are removed, but not the black background in the still pictures. No one has figured out how to remove the black background, so save the effort of trying to do the #3 date removal... it won't change anything.
Thanks for the information. Never actually used the photo function on the #3 so I thought it must have to do with the bin-file left on the card.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayback View Post
There was a post a while back that mentioned an anti-vignetting filter or plugin for VirtualDub, or maybe it was for AviDemux. Has anyone tried anything like that?

I guess the vignetting, or flashlight effect, or whatever, is really noticeable to me in the videos posted here. I remember that someone tried enlarging the opening in the case, and it made no difference. So it comes down to the lens/sensor combination they chose that causes the problem. Well, maybe that's something they would consider changing. In the meantime, I just wonder whether a software filter might help.
The filter is for Vdub. It is something I want to try when I get a chance, but you first have to re-encode the video into .AVI format before you can import into Vdub (at least on W7 PCs), so it's a double editing task even if it works. And it takes some additional work to first do a recording of a white background to make a mask that matches your camera exactly. If it works, it might be worthwhile for some, but not without some extra effort. If it just brings the corners and left/right edges of the frame into equal brightness, that may not improve things that much, because the darkened extremes of the frame also has different color saturation and white balance. The HD camera does not maintain consistent color saturation and white balance as the scene brightness changes. The video I've shot with overcast skies has good color saturation, but in bright sunny skies the color is considerably over-saturated. It just something we have to accept with a $40 HD camera for now. The old 808s do the same thing, but since the CMOS output is 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9, it's easier for the similar size lens to illuminate its CMOS array more evenly, so vignetting is not as great.

AviDemux has the ability to import third party filters... maybe it's possible to use the Vdub filer in AviDemux.

I plan to investigate all this when I have some spare time. Also, the need for a better lens was also passed on to the vendors for consideration. They said finding one to fit the small (6mm?) threaded boss of the CMOS module was the problem. A better lens might exist that will fit... just need to find some sources for a possible fit. I've done a little web searching, but haven't come up with anything.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Thanks for the information. Never actually used the photo function on the #3 so I thought it must have to do with the bin-file left on the card.
Understandable, but when uncertain, better to ask or speculate about what might have happened than make an assumption and state what "did" happen. Without confirmation, others get confused or lead off on a tangent that doesn't exist.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
Quote:
A better lens might exist that will fit... just need to find some sources for a possible fit. I've done a little web searching, but haven't come up with anything.
Anyone checked if a #3 lens would fit the 808HD? The #3 AOV is fine for me.

Thanks!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I ordered three camera's #3 in December. One was very soft, but technically OK. The other one was sharp, but didn't work as it should work.

So I had the idea of swapping the lenses to get one sharp AND good working camera... But unfortunately the thread on both lenses were different!

So there are different lenses around, even within the #3 versions! Let alone it will fit on the HD cam...
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Anyone checked if a #3 lens would fit the 808HD? The #3 AOV is fine for me.

Thanks!
I have not tried it, but will be interested if someone does. But, I don't believe it will have less vignetting. The lens needs to project a focused image across the wider and taller CMOS array that the HD camera has, so I don't think the one in the #3 camera will do that.

But, I reserve the right to be proven wrong! We won't know until someone tries it. If I get some spare time, I may give it a try while my camera is still open waiting for a sunny day to finalize my focusing efforts.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,481 Posts
I thought it might work, just like swapping lenses in a SLR, but I'm just hoping. If the #3 is slightly smaller, teflon thread tape could help. But I also accept that the chances are slim. Hopefully the word will get back to the suppliers, it's really the only thing holding me back
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:14 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,404 Posts
Just got this email about my order:

I regret to inform you that I just got the notice from the postal administration,
due to heavy snow, delivery services (including Speed post) in the country
are subject to delay. Owning to the abnormal cold weather, many airlines
in our country have been cancelled, and many railways and roads have been
closed which directly caused the delivery delayed. We appreciate your understanding
and patience. We will keep tracking the package for you, and try our best
to offer you any help. You are also welcome to contact us about more solutions,
We do not want to give you a bad buying experience even when the shipping
is out of our control. and i hope you still give me positive feedback.any
problem you can connect me. we sincerely hope you can leave us a positive
comment and four 5-star Detailed Seller Ratings if you like it and appreciate
our customer services.

mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:26 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Will a #3 Lens work any better in the HD key cam?

Quote:
I have not tried it, but will be interested if someone does. But, I don't believe it will have less vignetting. The lens needs to project a focused image across the wider and taller CMOS array that the HD camera has, so I don't think the one in the #3 camera will do that.

But, I reserve the right to be proven wrong! We won't know until someone tries it. If I get some spare time, I may give it a try while my camera is still open waiting for a sunny day to finalize my focusing efforts.
I just tried this and it does not work, as I expected. First off, the #3 lens thread is smaller by at least 1mm, so it can't even be threaded in to test. I also looked at the CMOS array in both cameras while I had the chance. The #3 is approximately 4:3 aspect ratio, and is smaller in both dimensions than the larger 16:9 array in the HD versioon, again as expected.

So the search for a better lens for the HD key cam continues, and I'm convinced the #3 lens is not it...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
So we should look for 1/4" sensor lenses.

I found something here:
http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_quarter.asp

But most lenses are more expensive than the camera....
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
So we should look for 1/4" sensor lenses.

I found something here:
http://www.optics-online.com/dsl_quarter.asp

But most lenses are more expensive than the camera....
No... as was mentioned in prior posts, our HD camera has a lens with an M6 (6 mm) thread on it. The ones you linked all have an M12 (12 mm) threaded barrel... twice the diameter that will fit in the HD lens holder.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:19 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
I thought the #3 was an M6? Any idea what size it is if it's smaller than that?
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
No... as was mentioned in prior posts, our HD camera has a lens with an M6 (6 mm) thread on it. The ones you linked all have an M12 (12 mm) threaded barrel... twice the diameter that will fit in the HD lens holder.
Sorry, I overlooked that.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
18,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
I thought the #3 was an M6? Any idea what size it is if it's smaller than that?
There are versions of the #3 with different lens modules on them. I have two with the knurled ring on the lens being different sizes, but they both have the same dia. thread on the lens barrel.

<EDIT> I revised the following paragraph to reflect the new caliper measurements of the HD lens thread, which shows it to be closer to a 7mm thread, NOT 6mm as I previously estimated by "eyeballing" against a scale. <EDIT>

So, based on the measure dia. of the HD camera thread now being 7mm and not 6mm as I previously estimated, this would likely mean the #3 lens thread IS 6mm as you said.

Sorry for posting a visual guess rather than hard measurements in my prior posts!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jan 18, 2011 at 06:46 PM. Reason: clarified info on #3 lens threads
Closed Thread