HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:08 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Photos one and three: definitely Spreckels! Cool photos Grumpa Tom, what's the vintage? Are they your stuff?
No, those are Bob Ecklund's models. I am scanning and digitizing his photo albums for him.

The vintage would be around 1988-1991.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:33 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,674 Posts
Here ya go Gerry....

a couple to tide ya over....
workin' on the rest.

Gerry Bowen's <Cpl.Fuzz> refurbishment of the SFMYC's CSS Virginia
gets a new smoke generator (from far New Zealand) for the first time.

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 05, 2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:01 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Great looking model, Thanks Craig for taking the time to bring these photos back for another look.

G
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
218 Posts
Thanks for the post Craig, I'll send a pic to the guy that makes the smoke units in Australia.
Cpl.fuzz
CPL.FUZZ is offline Find More Posts by CPL.FUZZ
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:04 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,196 Posts
Harbor Models is stocking the Tactic 6CH flavor of a dual left stick 2.4 GHz Tx. Same price.

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/i...ges/ttx600.htm

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:50 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
some incredible looking boats folks I'm more the plane type with come rc trucks for bashing around. I build wooden scale ships but was not much interested in RC watercraft I may have to go look at a few models. I guess the biggest reason I never go into the water craft is the possibility of have to swim out to get a dead craft I could take a heli with me and tow hook one tho if need be. Gonna visit the LHS tomorrow see whats avalible Any recomendations on a reliable RTR electric
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Foamcrusher, I can tell you that I bought the Tactic radio from Harbor Models and I am using it and like it very much. The only thing I would like is having the computer part that the bigger radios have. I did order the Radio from Ships n Things and will give that twin stick a good testing. for one or two of my duel motor boats I am looking forward to seeing if ill be able to use the extra features of the DX6 in setting up power curves and mixing.

So yes the Tactic radio is a solid radio and works very well.

G
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:03 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
Can you run two motors and seporate speed controls each and just split the signal to each motor esc with the stick radio or are there a benefit to some of the radios w/ dual stick set up I am not aware of.
I have stick radios but not set up w/ dual motors at this point. I do have a dual motor
Corvette under construction
Rad Frad is offline Find More Posts by Rad Frad
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:13 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,674 Posts
Dual throttles, dual speed controls = independent control of the turn rate (speed) of each screw which means you can turn the vessel by varying the thrust of each screw... or radically wrenching the boat around by going to full reverse on one motor and full forward on the other.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 07, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:35 AM
Which way is it blowing?
San Francisco, CA
Joined Feb 2009
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicdoom View Post
some incredible looking boats folks I'm more the plane type with come rc trucks for bashing around. I build wooden scale ships but was not much interested in RC watercraft I may have to go look at a few models. I guess the biggest reason I never go into the water craft is the possibility of have to swim out to get a dead craft I could take a heli with me and tow hook one tho if need be. Gonna visit the LHS tomorrow see whats avalible Any recomendations on a reliable RTR electric
Almost any inexpensive boat can be used with a home-made floating rescue setup seen in the photo captioned Calvin Tug and deep Water salvage here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1504

I personally have a fishing pole with a tennis ball attached.
SF Sloper is offline Find More Posts by SF Sloper
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:35 AM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Theres a few solutions to your fear of having a dead craft out in the water; which is go when there is someone out there on the weekends.

Or get a second boat to push the dead boat in.

However, if you do that helicopter tow hook thing, I'd like to see that on video please!
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:41 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,674 Posts
Classic Boat Recovery System

Quote:
I guess the biggest reason I never go into the water craft is the possibility of have to swim out to get a dead craft

Aquacraft Atlantic Tug fitted with Recovery Booms
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:53 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Easiest recovery option that I have seen/used over the years is a tennis ball attached to a fishing line and a cheap fishing pole (good old wal-mart kids closed reel one works good), just cast it out over the boat and and reel it in.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:43 AM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLego View Post
Theres a few solutions to your fear of having a dead craft out in the water; which is go when there is someone out there on the weekends.

Or get a second boat to push the dead boat in.

However, if you do that helicopter tow hook thing, I'd like to see that on video please!
thers's a youtube video of a jetranger trying to pull in a boat.. didn't end well for the Full size Jet Ranger
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:49 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
thers's a youtube video of a jetranger trying to pull in a boat.. didn't end well for the Full size Jet Ranger
could you send a link to that video? I cant seem to find it. thanks
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego