HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Dec 2008
3,379 Posts
I think the 21 gives up at 1000...It can't operate at that level. But it wouldn't cause the start of the problem.
cody069 is online now Find More Posts by cody069
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:25 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Apr 2004
464 Posts
[QUOTE=PMRfly;20962651]guys, question on the ubec front...

i've tried UBEC's many times but its always interfered with my video signal (need to put in a power clean up board i am told...)

You do have some ferrite rings on the OUT cable????
muduck is offline Find More Posts by muduck
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:51 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
[QUOTE=muduck;20962794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
guys, question on the ubec front...

i've tried UBEC's many times but its always interfered with my video signal (need to put in a power clean up board i am told...)

You do have some ferrite rings on the OUT cable????
yeah tried ferrite, but doesnt do much if anything.. ;-(
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:52 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
ok then i need a favour... can you go outside and encourage the rain to go south for the weekend?
Don't do that, im in Tassie, and am going away for weekend
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:00 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Nah, mine are RC305 and HK does state that their operating voltage are 5v so I'm guessing when we put 12v into them it just turns it into heat.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:02 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
I hope not, I use 2s as well. From HK web site Rc305 - Receiver operating voltage: 5VDC. I would be surprised if using a 2s made any difference other than less heat.
Whats the lowest voltage a RC305 can reliably run down to? I haven't been letting my 2S get too low, don't want it to stop mid-flight but im sure it can go down a fair amount below the 7.4V terminal voltage of the battery.
It sure does run a lot cooler on 2S vs 3S, barely even warm at all after use as long as the suns not belting down on it.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:34 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Nah, mine are RC305 and HK does state that their operating voltage are 5v so I'm guessing when we put 12v into them it just turns it into heat.
I've done a fair amount of research into this topic re 305 vRX voltage pre my first flight FPV. The unit is able to operate with 2 cell LiPo quite comfortably. The regulator actually has to drop the voltage to 3.7v for the vTX units internal operation. There is a margin of voltage loss obviously involved here, but the starting volts of 12v is very excessive and generates a lot of heat, thus causing some failures. Guys have tested the minimum stable RX starting voltage but I can't remember exactly what that was. They did confirm that 2 cell LiPo is the go in preference to 3 cell which caused a few failures due to 'melt down'.

Which is why I use 7.4v 4000mh, this is enough to run the RX/Goggles for many many hours

If HK states 5v minimum, I'd say that's about on the money from what I know
Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Last edited by Peril; Mar 07, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omelette View Post
Was thinking the FY21AP chucked a hissy fit, so it was discussed briefly in that thread, the GPS clock stopped exactly the moment she went haywire and also lost throttle. So I'm now thinking it maybe the cheap HK Ubec I was running couldn't keep up with the show.

Peril, I thought I'd broken a wing but I was still moving every thing just to get some sort of reaction, even full throttle which didn't work because I can't hear it on the gopro footage.

Here is a better crash clip showing the OSD in better detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaGXQ...eature=related
omelette,

I've been looking back at your footage. i am very sure that you and I have the same problem with FY21 and or ESC issues effecting FY21. My "brown out" vid below looks very similar to yours. Unfortunately i don't have telem of the incident on this vid, as this vid was predominantly recorded on the cannon a2200, but i am going to dig out the GS footage/recordings to see what the telem says.

FPV'n Around - Brown Out (4 min 6 sec)

Only diff i can see is you were flying in faf mode, i was flying in RC mode. I still get occasional b/o's today, but how i have resolved it (very much a short term solution) is load f/s on the radio so it switches plane to rth mode on instance of b/o. this results in (on instance of b/o) a very quick movement from rc mode to rth mode for half a second while it b/o's and then switches back to rc mode when it regains half a second later. Obviously this is a short term solution and i'm still trying to work things out to 'fix things'.

IF i dont have f/s on the futaba set to rth mode with 60% thrott, the plane dives for the ground. This is what happened in the brown out vid and another instance. luckily the plane survived in the b/o vid, but in the other instance, it died a horrible death...

when i first had this problem i went about replacing all of my gear piece by piece to find the problem. i replaced everything and i mean everything accept the 21. ESC, Servo's, batteries, rc radios, rc rx's, vrx's, tx'x, LRS etc etc etc. Note, i have two combo set's of 21/117's on two diff skywalkers and the problem occurred on both sets.

My set up is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=352875
(half way down the page)

Seems we share the problem... i wonder how many others there are...
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:43 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
LOST...... Big Red thing that sits in the Sky. They call it " SUN "

FOUND...... Plenty of WATER. Will swap it for the SUN if you find it.

On a lighter note : I'v got nothing

Bx
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:51 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
LOST...... Big Red thing that sits in the Sky. They call it " SUN "

FOUND...... Plenty of WATER. Will swap it for the SUN if you find it.

On a lighter note : I'v got nothing

Bx
Ill swap either of those for the WIND, I have plenty of that here
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:40 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,370 Posts
Quote:
omelette,

I've been looking back at your footage. i am very sure that you and I have the same problem with FY21 and or ESC issues effecting FY21. My "brown out" vid below looks very similar to yours. Unfortunately i don't have telem of the incident on this vid, as this vid was predominantly recorded on the cannon a2200, but i am going to dig out the GS footage/recordings to see what the telem says.

https://vimeo.com/32728763

Only diff i can see is you were flying in faf mode, i was flying in RC mode. I still get occasional b/o's today, but how i have resolved it (very much a short term solution) is load f/s on the radio so it switches plane to rth mode on instance of b/o. this results in (on instance of b/o) a very quick movement from rc mode to rth mode for half a second while it b/o's and then switches back to rc mode when it regains half a second later. Obviously this is a short term solution and i'm still trying to work things out to 'fix things'.

IF i dont have f/s on the futaba set to rth mode with 60% thrott, the plane dives for the ground. This is what happened in the brown out vid and another instance. luckily the plane survived in the b/o vid, but in the other instance, it died a horrible death...

when i first had this problem i went about replacing all of my gear piece by piece to find the problem. i replaced everything and i mean everything accept the 21. ESC, Servo's, batteries, rc radios, rc rx's, vrx's, tx'x, LRS etc etc etc. Note, i have two combo set's of 21/117's on two diff skywalkers and the problem occurred on both sets.

My set up is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=352875
(half way down the page)

Seems we share the problem... i wonder how many others there are...
EDIT: I wrote the following after reading that you only mentioned the Turnigy ESC in your initial listing and no extra UBEC. But you did mention recently that you are using a 15amp UBEC so the following does not apply to you.

One common factor are the 3amp BECs and is yours any good? Also, is that enough for all that gear? We assume they are good but the tests that have been done have shown some are no good. Like I said recently I will only be using these 10amp UBECs in future (unless they are proven to have problems but I do not think so):
http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Speed.../prod_695.html

You may be using UHF radios but if using Spektrum DMS2 then there is another problem that you have to pay extra attention to like voltage.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 07, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:19 PM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Ill swap either of those for the WIND, I have plenty of that here
Ok i'll take your WIND if you take my TIRED.
narcas is online now Find More Posts by narcas
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:21 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post
Ok i'll take your WIND if you take my TIRED.
Ive got enough of that, im TIRED of the WIND lol
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
EDIT: I wrote the following after reading that you only mentioned the Turnigy ESC in your initial listing and no extra UBEC. But you did mention recently that you are using a 15amp UBEC so the following does not apply to you.

One common factor are the 3amp BECs and is yours any good? Also, is that enough for all that gear? We assume they are good but the tests that have been done have shown some are no good. Like I said recently I will only be using these 10amp UBECs in future (unless they are proven to have problems but I do not think so):
http://www.wiredrc.com.au/shop/Speed.../prod_695.html

You may be using UHF radios but if using Spektrum DMS2 then there is another problem that you have to pay extra attention to like voltage.
no, i'm not using a sep ubec atm, due to noise on the video signal that it produced. i need to work out what my strategy is to re-introduce a separate ubec... i think i might have to just use a completely separate battery for the ubec, as every ubec i have used has too much interference on the vid signal..

oh and yes, i'm using uhf...
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:38 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,907 Posts
Im using a UBEC off the balance plug on my main flight battery Pete, and as yet in close at Hammo i had no interference from it, but i guess i'll find out properly this Saturday when we push them out a little further than possible at Hammo.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman