HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:11 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Build Log
Dakota (a Joe Wagner design)- AMPLAN Build Off September 2014 to March 2015

"Dakota - AMPLAN Build Off September 2014 to March 2015"

I've always liked, and wanted to build, a Joe Wagner Dakota.

Following Larry's (LWeller) build log...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=dakota

and his introduction, " The little all wood Dakota free flight designed by Joe Wagner for the Veco Company in 1949 has become a classic ", I expressed interest in post #107.

I love to start new builds, but always have a hard time finishing them up. Yes I know its better to finish one before starting another, but what's a kid to do with a hand full of candy ?

I will attempt to build and finish one for the

AMPLAN Build Off September 2014 to March 2015"
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2223167.

As SD says, "In order to qualify for the poll at the end of the build off the model must be completed, but not necessarily flown. "

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 04:23 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Dakota Bipe

I got lucky (I think I did anyway) and came across a kit posting (on EB**)with pictures of the original kit.
There is a partial pic of the plans which makes them more interesting.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:08 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,790 Posts
Watching with interest.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:16 AM
France, IdF, Lagny-sur-Marne
Joined Feb 2007
449 Posts
Good luck John.

-Paul
Paul_BB is offline Find More Posts by Paul_BB
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:04 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,360 Posts
Me too!

taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2014, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2007
526 Posts
Watching with interest! I had built two of them! Lots of fun!
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Oct 17, 2014, 02:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Thanks for the interest.
I don't think I'll be adding anything "new", as this model has been built by several excellent builders already.
My model will probably be a little larger than the original 24" wing span. If I scale it up 125%, the wing span works out to 30". Wood sizes will be kept to the same dimensions.
My only hope is to produce a model that is acceptable and flies as it was designed to do....provide lots of fun.

The Dakota plans call for left engine thrust and a left hand circling climb. Is this unique only to this model? Most of my models have right thrust and still torque to the left under power.
Also, both wings have several degrees of positive incidence, but there appears to be no down thrust. Should I follow the plans as provided, or should I use right and down engine thrust?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:03 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,360 Posts
If the stab has as much positive incidence as the wings, isn't that the same as down thrust?

(sounds like my 1/4 Stampe)

Re: redundant...
As long as we keep seeing new vids and pics, it'll never get old.

Nick
taildragger1589 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,024 Posts
Actually, it would be best to keep the various angles and settings Joe did on the design. That airplane was intended for small, restricted flying areas and will exhibit a stable climb and transition to a glide with a high rate of sink. That's why a session of power-off test hand glides is not recommended. Just crank it up and go. If built straight, powered right and set up per the plans, it'll fly well. The idea was a good-flying design that would not leave the field, so you could enjoy flying it repeatedly and not lose it. I wouldn't go beyond a single-bypass Cox Babe Bee (or the 290 version of it, if you want a separate tank) for power--my Cox Space Bug Jr. is as strong as I would go. I've seen them fly fairly well with a good PeeWee. If you want a radio in it, then re-setting the force moments might be in order. Don't know about enlarging it, if the flight characteristics would follow.

A suggestion, is all
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Oct 18, 2014, 06:54 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Thanks Balsabird, good points.
Again, thanks for the interest. All suggestions, comments are welcome.
I tile printed the plan at 125% using Adobe Reader X.
A ruler along the wing shows 15" giving a 30" wing span.
The original plan used 1" TE stock for a LE on the wing.
The 25% enlargement fits well with 1 1/4" TE stock.
Looking at the above thread to Larry's build (see his picture) for the wing, he glued a 1/4" x3/16" spar behind the TE stock edge to form a ledge for the top sheeting.
This is a great idea. I was going to do the same but instead got lazy and just used a router to cut the ledge out.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 04:29 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
I've traced out the Dakota parts onto chart paper for a template, glued up some balsa sheets to get the width and have parts ready to go.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:10 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
732 Posts
I will try to find a better picture of mine. It is sitting way back by the wall. It has a Torpedo .039 on it I believe. It has been flown a few times, but I generally have to retrieve it out of a tree somewhere. LOL It just loves trees.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:20 AM
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Oct 2004
1,066 Posts
Here's mine! Flies great as long as you launch it hard left. If you launch straight ahead, it will start looping at about head height! Powered with a detuned Cox product motor with the helicopter tank.

NormF
Norm Furutani is online now Find More Posts by Norm Furutani
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Forget The Kids!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:43 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
732 Posts
Mine seems to circle up pretty well on low power, but it does something it is not supposed to do. It goes into a really flat glide and goes straight forever. I have added a little weight to the right wing tip hoping that it will help it to turn in the glide. I have not tried it since. Sure is a cute little bugger though. Found a couple of more pictures.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:22 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Norm, looks like you had a lot of fun.
Looks nice Jim. I found it at 2pm in your collection picture above.
From the sounds of it, yours going into a flat glide makes me think it might be more of a floater than originally thought.
Yours is a 24" wing span and weighs how much?