SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:48 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
New computer help, Outlook Express and harddrive

I just got a new computer and want to transfer all my old saved e-mail messages to it. They are all in Outlook Express. Anybody know of an easy way to do it? I tired to import and export but it didn't work. Also how about my Address book? I did the same with no luck.

I also have a second hard drive in my old computer that I want to move to the new one. It is a slave in the old one, can I just move it? Will it need re-formated? I am running the same OS.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Feb 11, 2004, 02:49 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
When you tried to import the mail messages, what part didnt work ? If you point the import wizard at the right location it will work. You need to know exactly where the old Email store directory is and select to import from a store directory rather than a main identity file.
Where is the old drive ? are you putting just the old HDD in the new PC to get the files or are they connected via a local network ?

What OS are you running ?

In WinXP Outlook Express mail store seems to default too or "should" be at C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{4FFD2F3B-7E20-4B30-9FE1-F6A119B2042C}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
(mine is customised for backups)

For the address book, look in C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book
to find the .wab file to import.

In Win98 and ME, IIRC youll find the address book file under C:\Windows\Application data\microsoft\address book

I dont recall the default mail store for these but do a search for .dbx files, the folder holding them is the one you want.
Good luck, I hope this helps, you should find it.

On the second hard drive question, if you have only one physical drive and its in one partition, ie C is the only Hard Drive you have, then you should have no problems, just move it. Ideally try to have each HDD on seperate IDE channels, IE: Main drive as master on IDE1, CD as master on IDE2 and second drive as slave on 2nd IDE.

Lancair

The above information carries no warranty or guarantee.
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Last edited by Lancair; Feb 11, 2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 06:16 AM
Perth Westen Australia
Joined Jun 2003
443 Posts
Re: New computer help, Outlook Express and harddrive

Quote:
Originally posted by newracer
I just got a new computer and want to transfer all my old saved e-mail messages to it. They are all in Outlook Express. Anybody know of an easy way to do it? I tired to import and export but it didn't work. Also how about my Address book? I did the same with no luck.

I also have a second hard drive in my old computer that I want to move to the new one. It is a slave in the old one, can I just move it? Will it need re-formated? I am running the same OS.

The way I have done this before with outlook express 6 is to transfer the .dbx files to the new PC folder and it comes up with all the messages.

So do a search for *.dbx on the old PC to find all the files
you will find the inbox.dbx file. This file can be quite large so you need a means to be able to copy it to the new PC, network, CD or put the hard drive of the old PC in the new.

On the new PC do a search for the *.dbx files making sure you have at least 1 email in the inbox

Outlook express should be closed

Now rename the new PC Inbox.dbx file to say NewInbox.dbx then copy the old Inbox.dbx file into the folder.

Open outlook express, all the old inbox should now be there with all your Emails in it. You Should be able to do the same for Sent messages etc as well.

Works for me.
gtstubbs is offline Find More Posts by gtstubbs
Old Feb 11, 2004, 08:34 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
To futher complicate thing I also have 4 identities in outlook express. What I did two things. I compacted the folders and also exported the folders. Then I copied all the files to a CD (with different folders for each identity to keep them seperate). So all I need to do is move the folders to the new PC in the appropriate folders?

BTW I am running XP Home edition on each comp.

For the hard drive yes I only have one one the new one and it is not partitioned. I already copied all the files just in case something goes wrong but I wanted to check. Thanks
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer