Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:46 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
140 Posts
Slats & Cheeter Holes on Cowl

I have doing some research on the YAK12. It seems that what the YAK12 lacks is
slats and cheeter holes on the cowl.

Was thinking of this when I had a look at a video clip of the LX F4 phantom
Wonder if we can build slats that will fit.
drone19730602 is online now Find More Posts by drone19730602
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:49 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
140 Posts
Cowl air intakes

next would be the air intakes on the cowl. I am more of a perfectionist when it comes to scale appearance so in this case what I suggest we do is cut away evey second groove on the cowl that will allow air flow. Now this might be a difficult task. But I think it is do-able.

Have a look below. You will see what I mean.
Last edited by drone19730602; Oct 06, 2014 at 04:51 AM. Reason: to add a photo
Old Oct 06, 2014, 08:26 AM
United States, OH, Millersburg
Joined Mar 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
My Yak does well with the prop saver...but always worried about the thing coming off...

where did you get that collet , dm_mm ? just curious ?
Hobbyking US East has them here:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=67209

The stock prop won't fit without reaming so I'm using these 7x5 props right now:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

- Doug
dm_mm is offline Find More Posts by dm_mm
Old Oct 06, 2014, 08:37 AM
Joined Mar 2014
20 Posts
Motor Mount Spring Replacement

The springs on my Yak seem to be made of soft metal and stay compressed when I nose over in the grass. (The extended length of the prop collet probably makes this worse.)

I substituted silicone fuel tubing for the springs. The photo of my fix is below.

I also took the opportunity to re-glue the motor mount as it had started to show a little more movement than it used to.

- Doug
Old Oct 06, 2014, 04:15 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_mm View Post
Hobbyking US East has them here:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=67209

The stock prop won't fit without reaming so I'm using these 7x5 props right now:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...arehouse_.html

- Doug

Thanks dm_mm for the info......will get me a few

what do you think about the 8X4.5 slow fly prop ( glow in the dark ) on the Yak, instead of the 7x5's ?

I intend to fly her at night now, I have installed some LED's

Why i worry about losing a prop in the dark.

I like the spring fix idea also.
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Oct 07, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Mar 2014
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost View Post
what do you think about the 8X4.5 slow fly prop ( glow in the dark ) on the Yak, instead of the 7x5's ?

I intend to fly her at night now, I have installed some LED's

Why i worry about losing a prop in the dark.
I'm no expert on prop/motor sizing - I only know bits and pieces from I've read here on RC Groups.

I haven't tried any size other than 7x5. I bought a few different 7-inch props from HK and the ones above were pretty well balanced out of the package so I just used them. I think that size was recommended in the comments section on HK.

I do know that the 7x5 is higher pitch than the stock prop. I don't remember what it pulls, but I had it on a watt meter and it was drawing less than the ESC rating. I should balance the other props and record the numbers.

The LEDs sound fun. Which ones are you using? Are they scale lighting or are they set up to light up the whole aircraft?
Old Oct 07, 2014, 10:31 AM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_mm View Post
I'm no expert on prop/motor sizing - I only know bits and pieces from I've read here on RC Groups.

I haven't tried any size other than 7x5. I bought a few different 7-inch props from HK and the ones above were pretty well balanced out of the package so I just used them. I think that size was recommended in the comments section on HK.

I do know that the 7x5 is higher pitch than the stock prop. I don't remember what it pulls, but I had it on a watt meter and it was drawing less than the ESC rating. I should balance the other props and record the numbers.

The LEDs sound fun. Which ones are you using? Are they scale lighting or are they set up to light up the whole aircraft?
I am using these from trickmyrc.com
http://www.mytrickrc.com/shop/small-...light-package/

They are great LED's, the control board works great as well.

I have them set up like a normal plane....have one solid ( one red left wing, green on the right) and one blinking on each wing...have one on vertical stab ( blinking) and one underneath ( blinking) and than have Two Bright landing lights, mine are mounted on the wings near the fuselage on the Yak...they can be turned on and off by the transmitter....all the others stay on.

But the control board has 10 settings you can use however you want.

I'll have to check a motor prop chart to see if the 8X4.5 prop.
Last edited by HGhost; Oct 07, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:48 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
140 Posts
Try these : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Lamp_Set.html

Cheap and work well.

Old Oct 08, 2014, 12:40 AM
Germany (Black Forest, Alps, Vosges)
Joined Dec 2009
63 Posts
I have realized it on a Sequencer in my Jeti DC-16. I have put some cheap LEDīs on it and doesn't need a distribution unit.

Greets Christian
christianka6cr is offline Find More Posts by christianka6cr
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:57 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
136 Posts
Got 3-axis gyro installed on Yak. And immediately had opportunity to test it on a windy day. Normally I wouldn't even think of flying Yak in a wind like this (check how wind moves the plane in the end of the clip)

Yak-12 RC plane with gyro on a windy day (3 min 52 sec)

On a light plane like Yak I can recommend gyro fully. I mounted the Orange 3-axis RX inverted on top of the roof, this way it was easy to clear wire clutter away from battery.

My Yak is starting to show first signs of "flight fatigue" / age. Aileron servo doesn't center too well anymore. Will change it if it turns worse. Also lower door hinge broke off from door. It was matter of simple re-glue.

Simple & easy flier, what else I can say...
Late99 is offline Find More Posts by Late99
Last edited by Late99; Oct 14, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 07:53 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late99 View Post
Got 3-axis gyro installed on Yak. And immediately had opportunity to test it on a windy day. Normally I wouldn't even think of flying Yak in a wind like this (check how wind moves the plane in the end of the clip)

http://youtu.be/j_jMVhL6abw

On a light plane like Yak I can recommend gyro fully. I mounted the Orange 3-axis RX inverted on top of the roof, this way it was easy to clear wire clutter away from battery.

My Yak is starting to show first signs of "flight fatigue" / age. Aileron servo doesn't center too well anymore. Will change it if it turns worse. Also lower door hinge broke off from door. It was matter of simple re-glue.

Simple & easy flier, what else I can say...
I liked that Video...that was great
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:24 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
140 Posts
Cowl Strengthening

Hey guys was just thinking about a post on the thread earlier that suggested that the cowl was flimzy. Well I think I have found an economical and structurally sound way to fix that problem....

Order 2 x cowls. And install them. It makes logial sense to use the same materials
just doubled up or add an additional layer onto that even.

Just ordered an additional cowl from Atomik rc, and some props that
should do it I think. No real cutting or difficulty involved.
It might require a snip through but that is my solution.

Anybody have a different answer .....or better one that is currently on the thread and this one I have suggested ?

Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:51 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,919 Posts
Late99,

Very nice video and music; that little plane looked like it handled the wind very well indeed....and great piloting on top of that !

How do you have the 3-axis Orange set-up....in other words, do you have the gain settings at the middle, or????

Thanks again for the great video
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2014, 06:20 AM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
136 Posts
Thanks! Flying Yak is relatively easy after all the 3D flying I've been doing.

I'll double check gain settings, but if I recall correctly all were set between 12 and 1 o'clock... I had to verify the reverses quite carefully as I mounted the gyro upside down in the roof of the Yak.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:11 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
136 Posts
I used clearly more gain than I remembered, see pics. I also have on/off switch configured on transmitter to easily disable gyro during flight.

I strongly suggest anyone setting up gyro first time to follow instructions in this Youtube video...