HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Question
Which Brushless Motor to Upgrade to for the EZ?

I bought the easystar and am mostly happy with it, however, I would prefer that it had more climbing power (have have the 400 brushed motor that came with the kit). I was looking into building my own with a brushless motor, however, most of the hardware I came accross requires soldering the esc and the motor, and the investment to buy soldering equipment and solder is around $80, I don't want to invest funds into soldering equipment. I would like to buy a brushless motor ,esc that is reading to use, and only requires the user to hook them up together. I would like to buy them ready to hook up and at the same time increase the climbing ability of my ez dramatically.

Any help would really be appreciated.
easystarfpv4 is offline Find More Posts by easystarfpv4
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:02 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Are you in the US? This will do fine..
You will find uses for it the rest of your life.
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-To...&storeId=10051
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
San Diego
Joined May 2010
134 Posts
The unit at Home Depot is a good choice or this will do all you need for $8, including solder.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062758
QuadManiac is offline Find More Posts by QuadManiac
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:29 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,759 Posts
If you really don't want to spend money on a soldering iron then you can get motors and ESC's with the connectors on them already,but i tend to think you will need to buy a soldering iron in the end if your going to stay in this hobby for any length of time,because you will need to solder plugs on batts,ESC's and a host of other things we use in this great hobby of ours.

I would say if you do buy a soldering iron you want to go with at least 60w/80w minimum because you will find anything less will make life harder for you and you will only have to buy another iron at the end of the day.

I use a 100w soldering gun which does the job a treat and has lasted me years now.

If you really want your motors and some ESC's with there plugs on then why not try Hobbyking as some of there motors and ESC's will have them on but you will have to search for them.

I'll leave a link for the motors that have the plugs on but you can find more though.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rop_Drive.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10904
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:52 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,164 Posts
If you want to make power modifications on RC planes and don't want a soldering iron then you need one of these (see photo).

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
The OP doesn't want to solder and apparently doesn't want to do any of his own searches either...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia County, Split
Joined Apr 2012
114 Posts
Hello, when i bought EZ i also bough Multiplex upgrade kit, its little bit expensive but its good , you will get Himax 2815- 2150kv brushless motor, 20 a ESC and 2000 mah 3s lipo here is the link

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/produc...wshopitems_pi1[action]=show&tx_lwshopitems_pi1[controller]=Product&cHash=18456b451cfa6f1c2660c071b7a57992

I must say its very good, it has a lot of power, you can do some aerobatics and flight times around 20 minutes with 2000-2200 mah 3s lipo
romano_st is offline Find More Posts by romano_st
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
You'll most likely want to learn to solder if you stick with RC planes. Maybe you've got a friend who can do the soldering for you? Barring that, try dealing with one of the smaller outfits and see if they'll sell you a motor and ESC with pre-installed matching connectors.

What you want is a 28 mm inrunner with a Kv around 2000-2500, about 3 oz. or rated for about 250 watts.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:42 PM
Croatia, Split-Dalmatia County, Split
Joined Apr 2012
114 Posts
I forgot to mention it comes with all connections pre-soldered but it comes with mpx-thunderpower connectors, to use it with turnigy batteries you will have to change connector on esc and battery, soldering ain't hard you have plenty videos on youtube how to do so, soldering connectors on battery is liitle bit tricky as you don't want to short circuit lipo battery or you will look like this you have to solder wires one by one making sure that other one is well isolated from another one.
romano_st is offline Find More Posts by romano_st
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
RadioShack® DSL-050 Selectable Wattage Soldering Iron
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in....00+-+%2449.99

Helping Hands
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3928375

:thumbs:
///DarkSide\\\ is offline Find More Posts by ///DarkSide\\\
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:44 AM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystarfpv4 View Post
the investment to buy soldering equipment and solder is around $80, I don't want to invest funds into soldering equipment.
If you get any more planes / batteries and will only buy stuff that has compatable connectors already installed on everything, you are quickly going to spend more than that and, as others have already pointed out, you can get what you need for soldering equipment for far less than $80.00.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:24 AM
oic
Oh!... I see!
United States, VA, Wise
Joined Dec 2011
157 Posts
Look here Grayson Hobby has a bunch of kits ready to go. I got the MJV3 on a HawkSky and love it. Building a second with a Super Mega Jet V2 with a 4S... should scream.
oic is offline Find More Posts by oic