HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 04:17 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
Discussion
Lanyu 1400mm P-51D cheap, light, slow

I searched but didn't find a thread about the Lanyu 1400mm EPO warbirds, now that Hobbyking carries some of them.
There are at least:

- two different P-51s (one silver, one "Miss America")

- a dark blue Corsair

- and a (yellow) AT-6 Texan

They've all got a bell type 110g outrunner 850kV and a 12x6 three blade prop.

Overall they're very simple, pretty light, and cheap, landing gear is removable, flap servos are installed, I took mine off to save weight, the P-51 is very slow anyway.
The only thing which is really a no-go is the pilot which would fit in a plane half the size. For want of a better one my Mustang is now flying w/out pilot.

Apart from HK, you can buy those planes in Austria at www.schweighofer.at and from other shops. Quite a lot of videos can be found at alishanmao's youtube channel.

Since my biggest lipos are 1600s I wanted to keep amp draw low, and I wanted an efficient setup, so I modified the original 3-blade spinner to take a 2-blade GWS 12x6 HD prop. This works fine, and it flies as expected: Slow and easy.

I like it, and hope that the thin and weak threaded motor shaft will survive some more flights.

It's very easy to fly, and recovers well, here's a new video (no fog :-)

P-51D Lanyu 1400mm EPO winter evening aerobatics (3 min 47 sec)

Greetings from Vienna
Clemens

EDIT: Got to fly it today, it was warmer but the wind was picking up some times - now that's something a light and slow plane doesn't like.
So for me, it will be a plane for rather quiet conditions, here's a short video of today, you can see that it's slowing to a crawl at the landing, if you build it light you won't need any flaps...

P-51D Lanyu 1400mm EPO stock 2-blade windy weather (3 min 8 sec)
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Dec 09, 2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: changed the fist video too - better light
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:43 AM
Finally made a maiden flight!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2008
369 Posts
great flying! Nice looking videos too!
alpinemike is offline Find More Posts by alpinemike
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:00 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
thx! Your encouragement made me upload my latest video, just a short one (didn't have time and didn't record the first part, but then I thought it really is an improvement, so I landed and got the keycam going - but there was not soo much juice left to do lots of aerobatics).
With something like a 12x7 prop this bird performs really nice (the 11x6 blades on a big central piece with 60mm separated blade roots make it more a 12x7 prop).
The new steel shaft is not threaded, I have to find a way to fix the spinner which is vibrating badly. Otherwise, it's just the way I wanted it, very light with 1600mA lipo, and slow scale speed, and enough thrust to do the basic aerobatics...

P-51D Lanyu steel shaft folder 12 x 7 (1 min 56 sec)

cheers
Clemens
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:55 AM
Super Man's cousin! No cape!
Australia, New South Wales, Wangi Wangi
Joined Sep 2010
479 Posts
Whats the spinner diameter?
Ultra_Spitfire is offline Find More Posts by Ultra_Spitfire
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:26 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Spitfire View Post
Whats the spinner diameter?
Sorry I had not seen your post - spinner is 90mm

I don't understand why there is no more interest in this model. It flies real nice, even on 3s and the stock 110g motor.
I recently measured 28A with a full 2200 3s lipo (11x6 blades), it will be just above 30 with 11x7 blades, and the plane likes a bit more pitch for higher speed (on the large central mounting piece that makes the prop itself rather 11,5x7,5).

Now I am using 2200mA 3s lipos for slightly longer flight times, lots of WOT is a bit hard on the 1600mA.

It climbs nice, does big loops, is reasonably fast - I think this Mustang rocks :-)

Lanyu P 51 big EPO speedier 11x7 folder apr 2012 (4 min 40 sec)
Last edited by mopetista; Apr 12, 2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: newer video with speedier prop aerobatics
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:14 AM
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
[
Hi mopetista, I have one question, is the wing removable?? too big for my car. Thanks. V
pupik123 is offline Find More Posts by pupik123
Last edited by pupik123; Apr 16, 2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 06:18 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
no worries, wing is removable...
cheers
Clemens
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:25 AM
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Thanks and cg is correct? any personal experience with that
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:58 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
CG on the Lanyu P-51

Hi Pupik, I am flying mine pretty much on the given CG, but that's a very agile setup, others seem to prefer it a bit more nose heavy. For the maiden I would go 1 cm front of the recommended, but it's not crucial I think. You will need to mix throttle on down elevator because there just isn't enough (or any) down thrust. If you're nose heavy it will be worse with the model climbing more under full power because your elevator will be slightly up for compensating the more forward CG...
One thing you wil have to do something about: The motor is slightly lose in the mount, I put some BeliZell glue in because the grub screws will not hold the motor, it will vibrate itself free - you might also use Epoxy, or try to squeeze in some aluminium foil or such, but you will have to make it tight.
If you understand German you might have a look at the Lanyu thread here:
http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/boar...-und/?2785f57c
People are enthusiastic about the Lanyu Corsair as well, looks really nice too.
The three-bladed stock prop sounds nice, but it's very inefficient and slow compared to a good two-blade setup.

cheers
Clemens
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
Thanks Clemens. I do not understand German, but will have look that page. Also planning change motor, I have one spare turnigy 3536 1100kv motor, hope it be ok. Val
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:51 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
be careful with that motor - amps will be high with bigger props, I would not go bigger than 10x6 on 1100kV and 3s...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
Prague, Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2010
62 Posts
yes, you right, I have also 50 amps esc, so should be ok.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,655 Posts
any one have a link to this bird seen one fly yesterday look good in the air and fly great with some upgrades no tip stalls on landings
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:06 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,038 Posts
Lanyu Mustang < 100 $ in US warehouse

there must be some kind of sale, it's less than 100 bucks in the US warehouse of Hobbyking

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22874

now that's a bargain, even in Hong Kong it's more expensive:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19227

In Europe Schweighofer has it for 115 Euros

http://www.der-schweighofer.at/artik...ustang+modster

here's the Miss America version, I wonder where to get this at a good price, here
it's rather expensive, like the scheme though:

http://www.generalhobby.com/lanyu-mu...ane-p-331.html

@papabatman, what mods are you referring to?

cheers
Clemens
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,655 Posts
well he took out all the guts ( bad bearing in the stock motor) he was running a g-25 870kv 3s she flew nice. so air frame only would be the best deal. the air frame flys true. big fat body on this thing. still looks good.

thanks for the links
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: fun with a parkzone