Originally Posted by The Don View Post
just ordered 3, thank you sir
DiabloKid is offline Find More Posts by DiabloKid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:52 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Well I get my new Android based phone tomorrow and the first app I'm going to buy is the doppler speed app. The weather looks really nice this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to officially tell how fast the Evader is with the 4800Kv motor in her.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Dyess AFB
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Well I think the 4800 is a bit too much for 4S on this fan unit. My fastest downwind pass was only 122mph for an average of about 116mph. Not much faster than the stock Evader is supposed to fly. I'm thinking the 4400 would of been a better choice but I already had the 4800, oh well.
Matt Howard is offline Find More Posts by Matt Howard
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
I do not think the stock Evader is that fast. I have yet to see anyone post a flat level speed like that on the stock power with passes in both directions to cancel wind out. They seem to be about are about 105 mph flat from the videos I have seen. All the 115+ are always from a dive or in tailwinds.

Don
The Don is offline Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:43 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Maybe I should get a special run of a 4800KV Plus motors or may 5000KV Plus ? I bet that would be fun

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:37 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,720 Posts
Hello Don...I love it!!!...Here's my deal....I picked up a fuse the other day....and then i bought the wing and stabilizer from BP hobbies...I have no Fan unit...and i want one of your motors...Can you help me out..I'll Pm ya too in case you miss this...Thanks..Billy...
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
I got a reading of 110.9 with the rc speedo app off the video.

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,585 Posts
Can someone summarize the set ups used and results? (didnt see which size fan and kv motor I'm about to buy an evader kit and want to upgrade the motor.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Wicked 4400 Plus motor in the stock fan and a 60 amp ESC with a 4S 2200 lipo. Speed around 120 mph flat and level.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Wicked 4400 Plus motor in the stock fan and a 60 amp ESC with a 4S 2200 lipo. Speed around 120 mph flat and level.

Don
Thanks. Could the same setup be used for the Phazer? Same fan, etc. I think.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
Yes that is what I would use in the Phazer.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Yes that is what I would use in the Phazer.

Don
Great! I bought both planes

Do you sell the fan with motor + ESC all soldered together?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:41 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
I don't have hyperflow fan units. I would have to buy them from Towerhobbies or you would have to send the fan in the kit to me to have it mounted and balanced etc.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:22 AM
Joined May 2009
42 Posts
questions on Evader edf unit

Hi, this thread seems to be a bit old, but I'll post my questions anyway. I usually miss the popularity wave on kits because I wait for them to get clearanced. Saves money, but I'm late to the party! Anyway, I just got one of these Evader kits. This is my first EDF, though I've been in the hobby for 30 years. At about 1/2 throttle, the edf unit vibrates unacceptably with the spinner. It's much smoother without it. Since I plan to fly at 1/2 throttle much of the time, it seems unwise to accept this condition. Is the performance degraded much without the spinner? Has anyone logged any of this data both with and without the spinner? RPM? Static thrust? WOT speed passes?

Also, after bench testing the unit, I noticed the glass exit shroud is already cutting into the wires. So, I cut a piece of glass/phenolic tubing at an angle, then cut it in half. I enclosed the wires and glued it in as shown. Thought that might be of interest to some, that is if anyone is still watching this thread. Thanks for any info.

One last thing, while holding the edf at WOT, I could actually feel the housing expanding and heating. The heating I expect, but the expansion is kind of scary. So, I wrapped the plastic part with fiberglass to limit the expansion. My testing shows the expansion is much less. Maybe this helps the efficiency since it maintains the blade-to-inner housing gap. Comments?
ripfree is offline Find More Posts by ripfree
Old May 14, 2013, 12:12 PM
Placerville Ca.
Joined Aug 2008
78 Posts
Quote:

Don
This is the set-up I'm going to go with, for my new Envader.
jcpylon is offline Find More Posts by jcpylon