HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2014, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2006
375 Posts
The Marblehead, the mighty schooner Vixen (which will probably remain in the water for the duration), and a new outboard runabout that I have been working on. Maybe the CR914. Hope the weather cooperates - scattered showers possible. It would be nice to see you there!
beneteau3 is offline Find More Posts by beneteau3
Last edited by beneteau3; Jun 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:43 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,639 Posts
Dan,

I was wondering if you had any experience yet with the sliding brace winches in regards to brace tension for the different yards?

What I'm wondering is if the tension is maintained for all the braces on the same winch. It obviously works for one set of braces, but how's it doing with 2, 3, etc?
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:43 PM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
Dan,

I was wondering if you had any experience yet with the sliding brace winches in regards to brace tension for the different yards?

What I'm wondering is if the tension is maintained for all the braces on the same winch. It obviously works for one set of braces, but how's it doing with 2, 3, etc?
Brace tension for the different yards is very dependent on getting the drum core diameters exactly right. Involves initial measurement of length of travel of the braces. That's why the drums should be the last thing made after all the brace rigging and yard travel is finalized.
Syren has only course and topsail yard braces.
The sliding servo works fine with the details shown in the attached drawing.
The system is a bit more complicated than necessary because I wanted a doubled brace on the course yard.
Course: the brace runs up the mast to a working block tied to the mast, then to a dummy block on a pendant where it is tied-in. The pendant is solid line. The doubled part of the brace is solid line that is dummied and see-saws P/S. Since it changes length through rotation, the bungeed block down the side of the mast allows the P/S movement and the bungee controls the slack.
Topsail: the brace is single, and length of travel is correctly proportional to the course brace travel due to drum sizing. To allow for some variation, the mast blocks are attached with about 1/2" of bungee.
At the point of attachment to the yards, a loop is made that slips over the end of the yard. The loop is made by running the pendant (for the course) and the brace (for the topsl) through a bowsie made from pierced-earing jewelry parts from the craft store. There is a small coil of wire that blackens nicely and works great to make the last fine-tuning length/tension adjustment in the braces.
I can take pics if wanted.
Net - the sliding servo works fine for both yards, keeping brace tension and yard rotation under good control.
(Note - if enough room, you can make the drum diameters large enough to take up enough length to allow rigging of actual doubled braces, but you would then need to also compensate for a lot more differential slack)
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Jun 19, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:34 AM
Joined Aug 2006
375 Posts
Has the Syren been sailing? Missed u at the Parade of Boats!
Last edited by beneteau3; Jun 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 03:49 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Hi Don!
Too many things going on - have not sailed yet this season. Had Syren ready for the show, but the trailer I borrowed to bring it down to the show was a wreck. No running lights and really rough suspension.
Trying for the Lighthouse night show though. Plan to build a cover for my open trailer.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2006
375 Posts
Sounds like a smart decision in regards to the trailer. Actually, sailing opportunities have been reduced this season for all of us due to weather. Next month is looking great. By the way, are you still sailing on the Niagara?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Syren Sails with carronade fire

Here's a clip of Syren sailing. A neighbor offered to do the video off a pontoon boat - a good stable video platform. It's our first attempt at doing this. We need to work on keeping backgrounds clear, horizontal horizons, framing, stable shots, panning and zooming, music choice, getting closer and much lower... etc etc
Would like to get my GoPro on board too.
Video was edited to half-speed for more full-scale appearance. Slower? Faster?
Wind was only 3-5mph. Tacking was helped by a fair current in the channel (we sailed in a channel between an upper and lower lake)
New 6V gun ignition system worked well, and cartridge design gives lots of smoke. Yard servo speeds were programmed so yards take about 5 seconds to come around. Rudder and headsail servos are also slowed.

A pretty tame sailing outing, but nice to be sailing again and starting to work on learning to video.

http://youtu.be/C8hvHs0flHA
Last edited by DanL; Aug 18, 2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:13 PM
Paratrooper
Eubank Kentucky
Joined Nov 2007
873 Posts
Excellent

Dan

This is very nice and it brings back a lot of very delightful memories for me. Sailing with you was always so enjoyable, even when we had that attempt at boarding incident way back when.

Great video.
Paratrooper is offline Find More Posts by Paratrooper
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
375 Posts
Great to see Syren back on the water! So, are you gonna pick up one of them final SC&H models that are still available? You need another one to create a fleet - One ship is probably not enough challenge anymore. Thanks for the video; hope to see more.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:25 AM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
wow that looks so great....!!!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Aug 21, 2014, 02:22 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Beautiful, Dan!!!

regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,410 Posts
I concur with the others, Well Done. Looks very realistic.

Looked like your maintopsail was getting backwinded, intermittently, by the staysail. You might try slacking the staysail sheet a small amount. With my smaller vessels, very small (1/4") adjustments to fore&aft sail sheets make a difference.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Aug 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,399 Posts
Thanks all.
Brook, thanks for the staysail tip. Easily loosened.