HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2006, 02:10 PM
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined May 2005
205 Posts
Question
unknown tugboat?? hull

While visiting with my brother over the weekend he gave me this fiberglass hull. He is a former (dormant) boat modeller who has gone over to the dark side (G Gauge trains). The hull has a seam amidships where the former owner shortened?? it. Why, I don't have a clue.

Anyhow, if any of you tug builders out there can help identify this hull I will be very grateful.

If I can't find out how it started out I'll probably just build her up as a generic tug.

This will be my first experience with a fiberglass hull so it should be interesting.

Later

Doug aka bluesy
bluesy is offline Find More Posts by bluesy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2006, 07:04 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,075 Posts
She looks like she just came back from WW II D Day.

Good deep hull could put some powerfull stuff in there and pull Bass boats off of beaches.

Put a heavy pair of gloves on and squeeze, twist, rack and any othe forces you can do to it, NOW. Before you start, so it does not pop apart or split later.

Good looking workboat hull.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:14 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Doug,
No idea what the original might have been, there are some features that remind me of several boats. Probably your best bet would be to do the 'generic' thing (unless you happen across something that it looks like?). While it looks like it has the room for two motors, with the long keel I think one motor would probably work out 'best', maybe a kort nozzle? Oh well, let your imagination go crazy!
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Mar 15, 2006, 06:03 AM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
She looks like a Admiralty class tug form WWll built in England, but it would have been around 40" long with about the same beam, I am building one at this time called the Envoy, have fun with it.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Last edited by ropanach; Mar 15, 2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:32 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
It looks very similar to a tug that I have. The tug is the Cote D Emerote, 1/24'th scale, made by International Marine Exchange back in the 80's. If I can round up the pieces, I'll try to post some pictures.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Mar 15, 2006, 01:50 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
You might be right on the Cote. I just looked at my pictures, I built both versions, and the hull looks quite similar. I built mine in the 80's also. Jerry
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Old Mar 15, 2006, 02:00 PM
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined May 2005
205 Posts
thanks

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts about the origin of this hull.

If anyone has any photos of the tugs mentioned, it certainly would be of great help toward giving me ideas to build the superstructure etc.

Thanks again

Doug
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:55 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
jerryj,

You say that you have built a Cote before. I have a hull and superstructure to one but no plans, pictures or information to go by. I got it from somebody who got it from somebody who did a very, very poor job. There were spots on the hull where lightweight Bondo was 1/2" thick, which has now been removed. I have searched the web with no luck trying to find any info or pictures. I would like to get it back to the way it should be.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:25 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
Cote pictures

I will try to scan the pictures in the next day. I used to have the plans but might have got rid of them. In the shop tomorrow I will look in the drawing tubes and see if I still have them. Send me your e-mail address and I will send them to you direct. Jerry
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:26 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
Cote hull

Green-boat, Send me you home e-maill address and I will send the scanned photos of my Cote models. Jerry
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:46 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,566 Posts
I've Pm'd you with it.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:20 PM
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined May 2005
205 Posts
pictures

Jerry....

Just wanted to thank you (out loud) for the pictures you sent. They will be very helpful as I move along with this build. It won't be for a bet as I have a few others on the ways that my wife bought me for Christmas.

Thanks again

Doug