HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lynch View Post
The XT90 connectors are MUCH easier to do/undo than either Deans or XT60s due to the more 'sophisticated' metal connector parts.
That's good to know - I was basing my comment upon what I know about XT60s, which are my connector of choice (I only once used Dean's - with the moulded ribs to improve grip - and I thought they were bloody awful things!).
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
My last activity for the evening was to do the inevitable 'vroom vrooom' thing and put it all together and play The flaps immediately jammed themselves about 20 deg past 'up', the rudder wacked itself to one side and was reversed, one undercarriage leg collapsed, and the tailwheel did nothing. Oh, the elevator was spot on
An hour of mixing tailwheel steering with rudder, setting up flaps on a 3 position switch and generally end-point adjusting, sub-trimming etc, it is all working.....whew. The flaps close unevenly so there's a small mechanical adjustment to make, the rudder control lines are loose (always have been) and I need to check the limits on the undercarriage. The most important UC position is fully down and currently one leg is bent at the knee! Easily fixed I hope.
Wound both motors up with some gash 11X6 props and bl--dy hell I'll put all the tools and magazines back in place tomorrow
Main thing is - everything works and I can progress from the 25% stage to something better.
Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,518 Posts
I always love that first spin up of the motor(s) - sort of lets you know that it is alive!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,080 Posts
Hi Pat

It is good too know that even the Masters have that same issue the novices had - "I just built everything and nothing works?"
I speak for myself on the novices part.

Sounds like Annie is going to be one Powerful Mama.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lynch View Post
Gulp! Even though I've been an electronic engineering 'professional' all my life, I find the connecting up of a complex system always a little bit daunting Two batteries with provision for paralleling, provision for both ESC BECs to be paralleled, etc etc...... but it all went together and all worked - first time
That's amazing. As an engineering technician who fabricated circuits from an engineer's hand scribbled schematic diagrams, I can attest that I never encountered an electronic engineer who could solder worth a tinker's whatever.

Nice work. Looks like a daunting task.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,273 Posts
Very Impressive Pat.

Looks to me like you will have a lot of A$ tied up into this build. Two big motors, two big speed controllers, batteries, extra servos, and so on...

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
That's amazing. As an engineering technician who fabricated circuits from an engineer's hand scribbled schematic diagrams, I can attest that I never encountered an electronic engineer who could solder worth a tinker's whatever. Larry
Larry don't get too amazed - I started the bottom, worked in various Telecom and Aerospace companies (worked as a NASA contractor for about 15 years, and then drifted into engineering and military prototype development. I never became a proper 'engineer' - just did the whole thing - design, development, building and project management. Much more interesting than handing 'scribbled diagrams' to someone else. Learnt Mil-spec/NASA soldering, PC fabrication etc. along the way! Does it all help when building a model aeroplane? - not sure as I still make the same dumb mistakes I did 20 years ago

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,747 Posts
Just foolin' around

At the risk of seeming childish, I just had to see if the Anson could be driven around a back yard that desperately needs mowing (when it stops raining...)
I needed full up elevator to stop nose overs but she taxied in 3" high grass without a problem. As usual, a twin electric sounds great
I re-adjusted the flaps, undercarriage and rudder to work correctly and so Annie may even dance for the club members on Sunday !
I don't do selfies, but a few have commented on how huge the model seems - without its wings, not very. Sorry about my serious expression - it was starting to drizzle so back inside!

George - I suppose any large model gets expensive but the only expensive items were the wood pack and the two E-Flite motors. All the rest is Hobby King and cheap LHS stuff. I've been collecting the parts since the beginning of last year so with a bit of planning, the cost is spread out over a longish period.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Yesterday at 11:40 PM.
Old Today, 12:26 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,273 Posts
Pat, looks like fun... Annie does not look quite as big in the yard and with you behind it as it dose on the work bench.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Today, 01:56 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
700 Posts
Looking great Pat, glad you got the gremlins sorted out. Wish I had more than "after the kids go to sleep" time to progress as quickly as you!
shoey is online now Find More Posts by shoey
Old Today, 05:55 AM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
270 Posts
I am impressed as all heck. You are doing a very nice job. Don't worry about the selfie. Its allowed.

Cheers!
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring
Old Today, 11:04 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,777 Posts
Its always good to have a face to put with a build. The plane looks marvelous!! Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley