HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:37 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,400 Posts
Question
An alternative E-gyro for the VMX, Himoto or M5?

Whilst sat in the gloom and trying to shift this cold, I just wondered about the SKY RC SR4 rear wheel E-gyro being a viable and cheaper alternative to the Atomik e-gyro?

Also, whether it could be a candidate for skimming the outer edge down to fit inside the M5 wheel?

As the Atomik gyro comes in at 150 and the Manfred M5 gyro at 183, I do wonder whether it would be worth a punt for someone with access to a small workshop?

http://www.rcbikes.co.uk/RC-Bike-Spa...bled/p-70-135/
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
For the vmx, if there wasnt an egyro available, I would do it, but since there is a ready made egyro specific with wheel and tire inserts, it would be a little silly not to go the with the atomik brand. I did see a video maybe 1-2 months ago on youtube of a vmx owner using the skyrc rear egyro I believe. I think owner was in some Asian country. It looked like if someone fit a 125cc rear wheel on a 450cc bike, but it did work. Looks like the skyrc powers the egyro just like the arx it copied from so the swingarm, on the inside, has some kind of metal bars going to each side of the axle to power egyro.

Now, for the M5, one person that should have information for you about wheel dimensions of the skyrc wheel is ThrottleJunkie. I believe he is using the skyrc wheel and tire (no egyro) because it has a small insert where the arx wheel doesnt I guess. Again, you might have to try and integrate the skyrc swingarm too if wheels are wider. I know you like the m5 and it is a fun bike, but at some point the cost to make it run as good as a 1/4 will cost you as much as a new 1/4 bike. As cute as the bike is, it would be foolish to throw too much $.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,400 Posts
Too late JMc. I'm in on the M5, come what may. The Manfred E-gyro is ordered from Gregor, though I do know getting the M5 up to MM spec is ludicrous in price. In for a penny and all that... To edit, I will agree that the M5 is a good starter, but probably worth ditching if you get serious, as the cost factor is something to consider. However, if you are upgrading bit by bit and are as skint as I usually am, maybe the M5 isn't such a bad deal. You get the basic bike cheap, then can keep plugging away with small inexpensive upgrades. Something to consider. Especially as bikes are an acquired taste to most. Just think of how many GPVs became shelf queens... (I wouldn't dare ask how many of them were produced, but would be interested, esp, against how many see action on a weekly basis). A further thought is the Himoto bike, which at only 30 more and 1/4 scale, maybe the best way to go???

I've gone too far to back away now from the M5 <gulp> or should that be a Shaggy and Scooby <Zoiks!>

I just wonder whether the Sky rc gyro is the cheaper way to go for anyone to follow for the M5?
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:39 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,754 Posts
So you went Manfred's version aye? Your probably the first on rcgroups to go for it (not any discussion of it over on the motorrad forum either). Well, look forward to how it goes and any pictures you may take. Enjoy.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc