HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2011, 08:59 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,299 Posts
Its beautiful Jack. You do awesome and extremely clean work. Love the lines on all BVM aircraft for sure!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2011, 11:30 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent View Post
Its beautiful Jack. You do awesome and extremely clean work. Love the lines on all BVM aircraft for sure!
Thank you Bob! If I can't fly like Rob at least I can come close to building like him, it's something at least ;-)

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old May 11, 2011, 01:20 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,481 Posts
Jack,
Went to Markham today to say hello to you, hoser & Rob. Rob was there flying a nice turbine f-15. Maybe next time it will workout....
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old May 11, 2011, 01:26 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Jack,
Went to Markham today to say hello to you, hoser & Rob. Rob was there flying a nice turbine f-15. Maybe next time it will workout....
I hope to be there next Wednesday with the new Electra, today was apparently a bad day to try and get away, doh!

Jack
Old May 11, 2011, 01:27 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
what time i just got home? cougar took some damage, you missed that
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old May 11, 2011, 02:14 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
As in crash?
Old May 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,806 Posts
plane was on the runway i avoided the plane tried to go around but was low on juice, ending not so good

then i get home and my fairly new power supply shoots a big spark and dies

at least my electra few great
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old May 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Quote:
plane was on the runway i avoided the plane tried to go around but was low on juice, ending not so good

then i get home and my fairly new power supply shoots a big spark and dies

at least my electra few great
What PS do you have?
Old May 11, 2011, 03:34 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,481 Posts
Quote:
I actually snuck out around 12:30 but you were already gone. Sorry to hear about the cougar accident! I can take a day off once a month so maybe Ill cash that in on a wednesday when your all planning to fly.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old May 11, 2011, 06:19 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Jack it looks very good! Cant wait to see it next to the bandit with the same colors. Camo got 4 flights today!
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 11, 2011, 06:22 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Jack it looks very good! Cant wait to see it next to the bandit with the same colors. Camo got 4 flights today!
So? You still have wood ;-)
Old May 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,299 Posts
Maybe "Blue Steel" is a better analogy
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old May 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
So? You still have wood ;-)
Yea man! But dam it was hot today. The only problem I had was landing and only putting only 4000 mah back into the packs. The same flight on the old mav and the batts would be screaming.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old May 12, 2011, 03:57 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Day #4

I worked on the main hatch and canopy hatch today, they are a very important part of the build, they should be tight and clean and go on and off easily. BVM does a great job with the design of their hatches, the main hatch is held in place with 4 x poly ply half discs that fit into very thin slots (cut by a Dremel with a cutting wheel). The canopy hatch then holds the main hatch on and slides on from front-to-back with 5 hooks that catch on the fuselage and as it slides back, pull it down tight against the fuse.

Once in place, a single hatch latch holds it all down tight. If done right, you can't even fit a peice of paper in between the front of the canopy hatch and the fuse. I like to put the main hatch on 1 half-disc at a time by gluing one in the hatch at a time and holding the hatch in position and using a marker (rubbing it on the half-disc) and marking the fuse where to cut. This works exceptionally well, I've done some 5 or 6 this way and never had an issue...

Jack
Old May 12, 2011, 04:11 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Day #4 - Continued...

The canopy hatch uses carbon hooks, 4 of them on the fuse and one in the front, they provide a solid and strong mounting system. The idea is the entire hatch engages the hooks and slides back, as it slides back, the hooks pull the canopy hatch down tight against the fuse. Once in-place, a single hatch latch engages and keeps the hatch from sliding forward (coming off).

The hatch slots are pre-marked on the fuse, BVM recommends you verify they are correct (I've never seen them wrong) so the easiest way to do this is to glue all 4 main hooks in-place and set the canopy hatch on the plane and visually line up each hook to each slot, easy to do. Now I cut all 4 main slots and file them so the edges are straight then slide on the canopy hatch and adjust as needed.

Once it goes on (a little tight), I cut the rear slot that accepts a tongue on the canopy hatch to keep the rear of the hatch tight down on the main hatch. Once this slot is done and adjusted, the front hook is all that is left to the mounting system. This hook glues in all the way forward in the slot and engages and very front of the hatch cutout. A poly-ply doubled is screwed on with 4 x button head screws and the slot adjusted as needed.

End result, a hatch that goes on and off smoothly (a little tight is better as it will get looser over time) and when installed, is tight as a drum!

Jack