HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
AMA 562227
United States, CA, Mojave
Joined Jan 2003
626 Posts
Just wanted to give another endorsement for an awesome airplane. I got one from Nitro Planes for $79 on sale and maidened it tonight. I added flaps and reinforced the NLG strut like what was done earlier in this thread, but otherwise bone stock with 2200mah packs.

Fantastic! It's aerobatic enough to do loops, rolls, inverted, and it spins really well, but the best thing about it is how scale it looks in the air. I spent an entire pack shooting touch-n-goes, greasing it in on the mains and holding the nose gear off until the speed bleeds down. It just looks amazing.

I did find that it needed alot of up trim to fly level, and there is alot of pitch-up with flaps - going to have to work on mixes for that.

All in all, this is the best value I've found in R/C - $79 for a plug-and-play ARF that flies this well and looks this good is incredible. Anyone who's on the fence about it should just go get one! You'll be happy you did.
Three-Wire is offline Find More Posts by Three-Wire
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:17 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three-Wire View Post
Just wanted to give another endorsement for an awesome airplane. I got one from Nitro Planes for $79 on sale and maidened it tonight. I added flaps and reinforced the NLG strut like what was done earlier in this thread, but otherwise bone stock with 2200mah packs.

Fantastic! It's aerobatic enough to do loops, rolls, inverted, and it spins really well, but the best thing about it is how scale it looks in the air. I spent an entire pack shooting touch-n-goes, greasing it in on the mains and holding the nose gear off until the speed bleeds down. It just looks amazing.

I did find that it needed alot of up trim to fly level, and there is alot of pitch-up with flaps - going to have to work on mixes for that.

All in all, this is the best value I've found in R/C - $79 for a plug-and-play ARF that flies this well and looks this good is incredible. Anyone who's on the fence about it should just go get one! You'll be happy you did.
You just need to mix in a few degrees of down elevator when you use flaps. The plane will slow down but not pitch up when you get it right. But I am with you on the touch and goes. My nose gear is bone stick with a lot of extra glue added. It has forced me to do a perfect landing every time or else I will bend it. It has just made me a better flier! Also if you want you can crank up the expo really high and it just makes the plane fly even better..
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
How good are the servos and ESC that comes with the Dynam? Do most people replace the servos? If so, just wondering if the Airfield 55" kit at $75 would be a better choice
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...2-red-kit.html
I realize a motor would have to be purchased with that kit too.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
How good are the servos and ESC that comes with the Dynam? Do most people replace the servos? If so, just wondering if the Airfield 55" kit at $75 would be a better choice
http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...2-red-kit.html
I realize a motor would have to be purchased with that kit too.
It all works great. The servos are some of the best! The ESC is more than capable of running this plane as well! I added 2 7g servos for flaps and ran it all off of the stock BEC and it worked fine. But to be safe I have wired in an external UBEC and disabled the one in the esc.

And this plane is much better than the Airfield! It has a better wing design and it lighter. I have flown both back to back and prefer te Dynam...
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
^ Sounds good. Thanks a lot
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:26 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Got my plane in yesterday and went through the standard routine of checking things over for any damage and all is well. While looking things over i noticed that there are wires running through the wings and the fuse from each led. Has anyone hooked these up to make them operational? Seems easy enough?

gooniac33,

I see you added some additonal led lights to yours, looks cool. That's exactly why I bought this plane, Its gonna be my night flyer. Where did you purchase your led's from? Are you still using those servos from hobbypartz that come two per pack for something like 3 or 4 bucks and if so how are they holding up? I need to replenish my stock of servos for some other planes and two for flaps on this plane and I remembered your post from the JPower 50mm thread.
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Apparently, until recently, the LED's in the wingtips and tail had NO wiring to connect them. They were something stupid that the factory was installing "for show", with no real way to hook them up. I'm pleased to hear they've added wiring. I may have to order a fresh 182 kit to replace my older one.

Can anyone else confirm they're now shipping these with wiring for the LED's?

To use them, you'll need series resistors to limit current to around 30 mA. Usually a 200 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in series with each LED works good if you run them off the 6V BEC (servo black/red)
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:00 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamJunkE View Post
Got my plane in yesterday and went through the standard routine of checking things over for any damage and all is well. While looking things over i noticed that there are wires running through the wings and the fuse from each led. Has anyone hooked these up to make them operational? Seems easy enough?

gooniac33,

I see you added some additonal led lights to yours, looks cool. That's exactly why I bought this plane, Its gonna be my night flyer. Where did you purchase your led's from? Are you still using those servos from hobbypartz that come two per pack for something like 3 or 4 bucks and if so how are they holding up? I need to replenish my stock of servos for some other planes and two for flaps on this plane and I remembered your post from the JPower 50mm thread.
I got the LED's from Hobbypartz and power them with the main batter but they are switched by a brushed esc on the gear channel. And yes I used those same servos for the flaps on this plane and on 2 other planes that I have. They are awesome and even thought they are 7g servos they are actually stronger than some 9g servos and for sure stronger than Hitec HS 55's...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
New to the Thread

Hydro,
I can confirm that my ARF came with the LED wires attached. Ordered in Jan 2012. It does not come with any type of circuit to control them.

I have Maidened mine and flew it 3 times this Presidents Day. First time I had a hard landing. Second time landing was much better. Third time was not a charm. I ended up planting it into a hill side with very little damage. The front landing gear was broken free and shoved back into the split in the two pieces of the fuselage. I have it glued back in place with plans to reinforce it with some extra plastic dividers for a storage bin tray.

Also I have manage to strip-out one of the small screws that hold on the spinner for the prop. I used a 2-56 tap and re-threaded all the holes and now I'm using Hex Keyed 2-56 SS screw/bolts to mount the spinner. I no longer have to fuss with dropping the small screws. Also they are less likely to strip. If you do this be sure to not over tighten the new screws. Fine threads in plastic will not hold up to much abuse. Note: I also used a small number 2 flat washer and a split spring lock washer to help hold them secure during flight.

I also am using a 2650mAh 30C LyPo battery. To make this fit I had to remove some foam with a razor blade in the battery compartment. It balances out perfect between 55-60mm for COG.

I do have one question. I did not glue my wings together yet in hopes to add the wing flap servos in the future. As you can see I have flown it with no problems that would be caused from this. Can you see any issues I might incounter if I continue to fly without glueing the wings together?

Thanks,
Rob
Rescue_PBY is offline Find More Posts by Rescue_PBY
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
broken

Yesturday we had winds around 3 mph. So I went out to fly my new 182 for the 4+ times. I got to the air field and was so ready to fly I jumped out and began doing flight checks. After check the controls and the wind direction again I taxied out for my first flight. After a long run up to speed it took off just like a scale flight. Then trouble occurred, I attempted several times to get altitude but she keep stealing out and was very unstable. Everything I tried failed. All of the sudden about 30 feet in the she took a nose dive out of control and spun into the ground. Crushed the nose in and split it open. Ripped the wing off the top of the plane along with the top of the cabin. Tore out the main landing gear and broke the front gear off again. The only undamaged area is from the back window to the tail section.
Video to come maybe if it is

Looks like a long recovery period to follow.

Rob
Rescue_PBY is offline Find More Posts by Rescue_PBY
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
EDF Junkie
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Rescue_PBY

Sorry to hear of your misshap, thats a bummer!
FoamJunkE is offline Find More Posts by FoamJunkE
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue_PBY View Post
Yesturday we had winds around 3 mph. So I went out to fly my new 182 for the 4+ times. I got to the air field and was so ready to fly I jumped out and began doing flight checks. After check the controls and the wind direction again I taxied out for my first flight. After a long run up to speed it took off just like a scale flight. Then trouble occurred, I attempted several times to get altitude but she keep stealing out and was very unstable. Everything I tried failed. All of the sudden about 30 feet in the she took a nose dive out of control and spun into the ground...
This reminds me of the time I took off with a dead Lipo pack. This plane should take off easily in 20-25 feet of runway. Elevator without thrust will put it into a death spin pretty quick.

Fortunately, it happened to me over water while flying with floats. The LVC kicked in and shut down the motor while I was banking to turn back toward the dock area. It made a hell of a noise when it hit the water, but didn't damage anything, besides a bent float strut.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue_PBY View Post
Yesturday we had winds around 3 mph. So I went out to fly my new 182 for the 4+ times. I got to the air field and was so ready to fly I jumped out and began doing flight checks. After check the controls and the wind direction again I taxied out for my first flight. After a long run up to speed it took off just like a scale flight. Then trouble occurred, I attempted several times to get altitude but she keep stealing out and was very unstable. Everything I tried failed. All of the sudden about 30 feet in the she took a nose dive out of control and spun into the ground. Crushed the nose in and split it open. Ripped the wing off the top of the plane along with the top of the cabin. Tore out the main landing gear and broke the front gear off again. The only undamaged area is from the back window to the tail section.
Video to come maybe if it is

Looks like a long recovery period to follow.

Rob
Oh no.....sorry to hear it.... The elevator can cause the plan to snap or stall pretty violently if your CG is off a little or you lose airspeed with the nose up. Sounds like that is what happened to you....
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,999 Posts
I am working on a project now. I just got the parts and will be turning my Cessna 182 into a 182RG.....lets see if this goes as planned...

By the way...Toysonics is one hell of a store!! They have everything you need and ship crazy fast!!

http://www.toysonics.com/
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hey, Watch this....
United States, UT, Alpine
Joined Mar 2010
429 Posts
What parts did you get? Are you planning on making them from scratch? I have been very interested in doing the same thing.
charlesconklin is offline Find More Posts by charlesconklin