HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2006
143 Posts
Discussion
Aquacraft Profisherman bass boat question

I bought this earlier in the week, I have not yet run on the water other than a quick float test in the bath tub. I have noticed that the boat sits very low in the stern,and after watching the few videos of this boat on the internet,those boats sit low also. I have my battery as far forward as it will go without removing the foam in the bow,still low.

Now my question: Would it change the plane of the boat if I put a small spacer in the top motor mount bolts,it would change the thrust angle,and if I got this figured correctly,it should force the bow back towards the water instead of pointing skyward. Is this a correct way or should I re-think weight distribution some how. I would hate to add weight to the bow.
cpt.bhern is offline Find More Posts by cpt.bhern
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
I have seen one of these run before. They do sit low in the water at the stern but they get up on plane nicely. I would not add any weight. If you come to a sudden stop, water will wash over the back of the boat but the cover should keep most of it out. If you have ever seen a full sized bass boat, the same thing will happen.

You are correct in that adding washers to space out the mounting plate will change the attitude of the boat. Give the boat a try out on the water before you make any adjustments.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:57 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
I just watched the video of that boat Aquacraft posted. That thing is pretty cool! Great price! Looks like it planes out nicely in the video. It just needs a cool rc tow vehicle, couple of fisher people and a cooler of brewskies!
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2006
143 Posts
I just got back from my first run in the pond. It does get on plane fairly fast and it does run well,turns are very nice and it looks and behaves like the full size boat.
However,I did encounter a problem,it would glitch,for just a second or less,I mean I was running wide open and all of a sudden it would act like the battery would disconnect,it would just stop running,then it would pick itself back up and continue on. I thought it might be due to the motor not being broke in,or maybe an esc problem,even loss of radio signal. I tried a different battery and it still does it.

Any ideas what could cause that problem?

Otherwise it was fun,but I do see a need for a faster motor later on,but first I have to fix that glitch.

I did no modifications as far as the tilting the motor or weight distribution. It does sit low in the stern and until it planes out.
cpt.bhern is offline Find More Posts by cpt.bhern
Old Jun 25, 2007, 08:12 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,622 Posts
I've run into the same thing on my little pond in the middle of a cow pasture. It seems to happen at the same place each time. I suspect some electronic interference causes a signal loss from my TX and the ESC shuts motor power off as it's supposed to. The world is full of electronic signals and there's not much you can do about it. I just let it go through the spot and pick up again. Just my thoughts.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Jul 15, 2007, 12:38 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
I have had mine for about a year and a half. It is a fun boat to run. I love the outboard except they should have made the lower unit composite to save some weight. If you come off the power fast it will ship some water over the stern. A little will get inside past the hatch seams. A large eye dropper or small baster works well for sucking out the water from inside the hull. After you are done running remember to leave the hatches open so the interior can dry. If you are concerned about water seepage the fast electric guys use a clear tape to seal their hatches. I'm not sure what it is but somebody on here will know. The tape works. I saw a very fast electric hydro hook a wave and it ran submerged for 15 feet, came up and kept going. If you let a rookie run the boat the dual rate on the transmitter come in real handy.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jul 15, 2007, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
heheh. there are a number of different tapes that can be used...the hobby shop would like to sell you 'radio box tape' or grimracer tape, vinyl electricians tape has been used(some folks swear by it), but mostly we go to the sporting goods store and buy hockey tape hth
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:21 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
I think the guys I saw used Hockey tape.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:02 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
Ok...I've run mine enough now that I can say it glitches...a lot...at every place I've run it...with 3 different battery packs. It cuts out completely at times and others just enough to make it porpoise. I have a new DX6 and spare receivers on the way. One of those receivers will make its way into this little boat. I will let ya know if that solves the glitching. I will also let ya know if the glitching solves the porpoising.

As for the water...I taped the back and sides of the rear hatch with cheap scotch tape and it solved my water intrusion. I also oiled the steering servo push rod grommets so no oil gets in there. Not a drop of water inside.

Oh...this boat has very thin sides...don't play "Titanic" with it...you may end up with a new handle!

Anyone made any mods to improve speed? Kmot?

Captain Crash
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,984 Posts
Get yourself a Traxxas Titan 12T motor used in the Rustler and Stampede. The stock esc will handle it just fine. That is what I put it mine and it scoots right along niceley.

I have found that the bottom of the line Futaba radios they use in Aquacraft boats are hit and miss. For example, the one in my bass boat does not glitch at all. It's perfect. The one in my Bristol Bay glitched terrible and had lousy range. I had to change it and went to Spektrum.

I have water ingress also. Even with the hatch tape. Not as much, but still after a couple battery packs enough. It kept getting the steering servo wet and shorting it out and disabling my steering. Just the other day I pulled the servo apart and packed it with white grease to keep the water out.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Feb 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-boat
You are correct in that adding washers to space out the mounting plate will change the attitude of the boat. Give the boat a try out on the water before you make any adjustments.
This is not needed...you can adjust the motor via the 2 allen screws on the mount.

I upgraded one of my motors to the Traxxas Titan 12T as Kmot suggested. I ran it for a couple minutes in the tub with the 6 cell 7.2 v pack and then decided to try the 7 cell 8.4V pack with it....wow...Batman better get ready to fly...then I got the infamous white smoke. I don't think the stock esc can handle that much fun...I have a matching Traxxas XL-10 esc on the way and will get pics up soon.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLHE2

Capt. Crash

Tom...you tried the 8.4V on yours yet? Towers' has the red Bass Boat in stock right now...but the price has gone up to $199.00!
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:29 PM
n00b Boater and Geek
TB, Ontario
Joined Nov 2007
14 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the output shaft? I have asked Tower but they do not carry it.

thanks
jdeadman is offline Find More Posts by jdeadman
Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:15 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
I could use a spare or 2 of those myself...if ya find out please let me know too.

Thanks

Capt. Crash
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:59 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
Help!

“Miss Titanic”, with Batman at the helm, tried a new hot 3800Nimh 8.4V battery pack, Titan T12 motor and matching Titan speed control but got a little too hot, cooking off that new motor after finishing a long crowd pleasing run. It seems the motor cooling system is not up to par with the new higher voltage setup. She cooked off after she was removed from the water and smoke could be seen coming out of the engine cover which was very hot...surprised it didn't melt. The motor melted down and is junk.

Any suggestions on cooling improvements or do I need to nix the high speed combo on this?

Capt. Crash
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,984 Posts
Run it on 6 cells instead of 7.

If you absolutely insist on running on 7 cells, reduce the diameter of your prop or the size of your Mah. As you have learned, you were pulling way too many amps for too long.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot