SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2013, 04:16 PM
Glider Guider
United States, CA, Lomita
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
Typhoon 2

Fellows, Just flew one of my Typhoons, with the big prop and gearbox, and am very impressed with the 3D capabilities. Now working on fine tuning the control surfaces for hovering, etc. As there was no published CG location, I have initially set it a little nose down, with cg located on the carbon tube / spar, which feels about right. Can anyone confirm that this is the best cg for 3D ?

Am also going to set up a 2nd Typhoon, and given the delicate nature of the gearbox, am thinking of going with a direct drive. In reading thru this thread I've seen where a lot of people have converted to various outrunners, but have not
seen anyone claiming that their new setup is capable of performing 3D like the stock gearbox & big prop. I'm looking over the new Parkzone Visionaire which is considerably larger and heavier, which comes stock with a direct drive 10 size
outrunner and 12x4 prop. So it seems like a low kv motor which can swing a 12x4 or higher pitch could approach the same
performance as the gearbox on the Typhoon.

Anxious to hear if anyone has actually found a direct drive outrunner which at least comes close to the stock gearbox/prop
(I'm using a 3 cell 1800 mah 25c Gens Ace lipo.)

Smokin Joe
smokinjoe22 is offline Find More Posts by smokinjoe22
Last edited by smokinjoe22; Jun 19, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Well, it has been a while since I've flown anything, but I did put an eflight 450 on and would run with a 12x6 prop and it flew very well. You may want to try a 480 with the same size prop to try and avoid a smoke out.

With the 450 I flew dozens of flights without issue. I could hover at about 1/2 throttle.
CWHFSR is offline Find More Posts by CWHFSR
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
Glider Guider
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
CW, thanks for your reply, so far the only one. Think I'll try the Turnigy Park 480
1020 kv, which appears to be very close to the e-flite spec's for about $20.

Can you or someone recall where your cg was located ?
Also, any differential in Ailerons.?

As previously mentioned, I picked up a couple of Typhoon 2s to learn 3D and
cannot find any published data for cg and differential. I've set up many aerobatic
planes, but since I'm new to this 3D stuff and the huge control surfaces, don't
want to assume anything.

Smokin Joe
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
I seem to recall the CG being 2" from the leading edge, but again it has been 2 years since I've flow this plane and so I can't be 100% sure.

I never used any expo or differential. This is a pretty forgiving plane. I don't think you will be able to do really advanced 3D but it is an excellent plane to train on.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Ok, so it looks like I was wrong about the 2". I also have made a lot of changes to the front of my plane in changing the motor and having a different mount so maybe this will help you figure out what it is on your non-stock plane, and has the answer below for the stock one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter View Post
I ran across this interesting Center of Gravity Calculator.

I got out my tape measure, input the measurements of the Ty2 and was surprised to find that I have been flying with the CG so far back (~4") that the plane is (theoretically) pitch unstable. This is consistent with the behavior that I have experienced, as the Ty has been far too sensitive to elevator movements - even at the lowest horn settings.

The recommended CG is 3.5" but that is right on the "Neutral Point" (NP), which separates stable from unstable aerodynamics. This calculator recommends that the CG be at least a 5% of the average wing chord ahead of the NP, which would put a safe CG at 3 1/8"

I must admit to assuming that factory CG recommendations are always biased toward being overly nose heavy, so I typically, start with the recommended CG and move it back. Wrong with this plane! Even worse, after a few "hard landings," the landing gear moves back, which moves the CG back, which aggravates an already touchy situation.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the possibility that CG settings could be responsible for the Typhon's twitchy behavior.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:28 PM
Glider Guider
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
CW, thanks again for staying with my questions. After reading thru most of the
200 pages of this thread, I now know that Parkzone recommends a CG of 3.5"
I will set it at 3.25" and work back from there.

Still could not find any info. on wether to set up any aileron differential. I know
it is normally used to compensate for adverse yaw on longer span aircraft,
but given the huge control surfaces on the short span Typhoon, it would seem
like it needs to be addressed.

Anyone who flies 3D is welcome to chime in on this.

Thanks,
Smokin Joe
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Not that it means anything... but I did look up the settings in my DX6i and see that I had differential set as inhibit so I never used it.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:17 PM
Glider Guider
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
CW, I posed the differential question on another 3D forum and got a number of
different opinions. Seems like most are not using it for doing high energy -post
stall maneuvers, but some pilots do use it to smooth out other non-3D stuff like
rolling circles etc. Since I am using dual aileron option, will start out with no
differential, see how it flies, then dial in some differential and compare. Will post
results if there is a significant difference.

Guess this discussion had some side benefits also, if you discovered your CG
was that far aft. Should make a huge difference if you set it up around 3.5" or so.

I still find it remarkable that parkzone did not publish the most basic info: CG,
throws, etc, in their manual, which required much digging to find. Their new
Visionaire at least shows the CG, but still very vague about anything else.

Smokin Joe
Old Jun 26, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
When I first started flying I never really worried about silly things (ha ha) like CG. I did learn it several crashed later, but still didn't really do much about it. Possible I was way off on the 2" but knowing me, I just through the stuff in the plane and took off. This was really evident when I used foam board and made a 4' long death star! (that flew very slow with it's nose pointed up at an angle all the time).

I'm now flying micro helis. I am taking MUCH more care in getting the head set up and having all the balance right. What a difference a couple years makes...
Old Jun 26, 2013, 05:24 PM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
1,001 Posts
I ran 3 batteries through the typhoon this past weekend. This is the only plane that I own that does a continuous inverted flat spins without losing elevation. Whoa!
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:49 AM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
I have been flying my PZ Typhoon 2 regularly since July, 2009. Itís my favorite 3D foamy and has performed perfectly over the last 4 years.

Since this aircraft is no longer in production I was wondering if replacement parts are still available somewhere. My Typhoon has never been in a crash, but some of the parts are showing their age from years of high G-loading. The lamination on the ailerons is peeling off, and the hinges have all been replaced with tape at some point.

-I was also wondering what year ParkZone stopped making this plane?
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:10 AM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
Cg

PS- My CG is 3.5” from the leading edge; it performs well in level flight and hovers nicely. There are also no unusual pitch tendencies when gliding with this CG.
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Pilot View Post
I have been flying my PZ Typhoon 2 regularly since July, 2009. Itís my favorite 3D foamy and has performed perfectly over the last 4 years.

Since this aircraft is no longer in production I was wondering if replacement parts are still available somewhere. My Typhoon has never been in a crash, but some of the parts are showing their age from years of high G-loading. The lamination on the ailerons is peeling off, and the hinges have all been replaced with tape at some point.

-I was also wondering what year ParkZone stopped making this plane?
Sure are.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...listType=parts
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:13 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
Was thinking about putting sfg's on. But they're long gone years ago.

This site doesn't have any. Anybody know who might?

Or if not, has anybody scratch built their own?

She flies great without them! But they do help the new e-flite UMX Yak 54, so I'm curious to see if they'd improve the old Phoon's aerobatic capabilities.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:30 AM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
1,001 Posts
Flew the Typhoon 2 again recently after not touching it for a while. You sure can do some crazy maneuvers with it. This is the only bird I fly that has a gearbox, so I want to keep it that way due to its distinctive noise as it flies by... Kinda Cool!
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr