HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2013, 04:04 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,880 Posts
Dave and Ken,
I have followed Mr. Morgan since 2003. He is, in my personal opinion, the best in his field with any material and right here in RC Groups too. There are surely more good builders, I have had no need to look any further for them. John does it all and freely with any info you want to know. Now I have contest winners of my own. He will be starting a Helldiver next,
**Neons ** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:58 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,783 Posts
Charlie,
The 'stringers' look good mate. However I do have one concern about the finished appearance; those formers all showing through the covering. Might it be possible to cap the stringers with 1/16 balsa so the covering remains clear of the formers? Then make your wing seats and hatch to match the stringer cap line.
Just a thought. Stringers look good through covering, formers less so.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Nov 04, 2013, 05:15 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Stringer Caps

Mornin' Pete,

Good idea. And it's not like I only have a 48 hour deadline to finish this bird ! I've got plenty of little bitty strips of 1/16 left over from the aborted sheeting attempt.

My wife's comment concerning the stringers...."Well, it's a good thing you have that degree in Measuring." She also graduated from the Rake School of Economics and my use of the scrap appealed to her sense of frugality.

You'd like her.
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Stringers

Finished the stringers this morning....up at 4:30.....Haven't adjusted to the change from Daylight Savings Time.....

Stringers are 1/8 sq hard balsa, mostly from scrap, snugly fit between the formers, and sanded smooth. The "nose stringers" (sounds kinda weird) are 1/8x1/4 that were mounted flush with F2 and left "up" an 1/8 at F1, then sanded to match the contour of the lower portion of the nose....Also checked to see if there is enough room for the "Matchstick" nose art.......I'm still chuckling about that.

My friend David !

I found some old Sig 1/20" that I'm going to cut up for the stringer caps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:48 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,746 Posts
Old_Pilot, I like your build with the stringers, looks great. You'll have a winner flying this model.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Old_Pilot, I like your build with the stringers, looks great. You'll have a winner flying this model.
John
Soon as I re-learn to fly ! LOL

thanks for the compliment
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Battery ESC Motor Wiring Cooling

Could use some advice here.

I think I have enough room around all the "hot" stuff. I'm going to leave the bottom two panels of the cowling open (screen covers) for inlet air, and two panels below the stab in the back for exit air.

Wiring question....motor wires are red/black/yellow....ESC wires are black/black/black. Which goes to what ????? Also, the male pins on motor wires are smaller than female receivers on the ESC (Ron White could do 5 minutes on that topic).....Is it better to change the motor pins or the ESC connectors ??? (Another 5 minutes)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2013, 04:56 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
Wiring question....motor wires are red/black/yellow....ESC wires are black/black/black. Which goes to what ?????
When you connect it up, open the throttle - if the prop spins in the correct direction, you got it right first time. If the prop spins widdershins (backwards), swap any two of the connections. It'll be good to go.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Nov 05, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Almost ready to cover

As the title says.......almost ready to cover.

Have to mount the tail wheel.....bent the wire this morn. Used a French cleat to mount the cowl. Will use (2) small servo hold down screws at the bottom.

Don't laugh at the canopy.....it was cut from a hand sanitizer bottle..went cloudy on me when I put it in hot water.....still looking for a suitable form.

I'm concerned with the leading edge of the fin...the other variants of the Tempest had a "radiused" dorsal.....but adding the larger tail surface won't remain true to the Mk-1's configuration...Hmmmmm
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Small Details

Added a "small" dorsal to the front of the fin and the fairings. Also built the fuselage bottom/wing bottom fairing.

It's raining, so I'm going to start covering.

I copped out and bought decals.....though they are WWII British combat markings, not the prototype marks of the original. The glossy ones I printed for the Fighter Glider look ok from a distance, but not up close. The ink just isn't sharp enough.

Also bought a canopy......it's close, but not authentic, and I got tired of curling plastic soda bottles in hot water, with or without an interior form.

BD, you're smart to have someone make your canopy.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Nov 06, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:51 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,746 Posts
Looks pretty classy. There's a lot of work in that build.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Nov 07, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Looks pretty classy. There's a lot of work in that build.
John
Thanks....It's 'cause I love to build
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,954 Posts
For your canopy, doesn't this canopy look almost exactly like the one on a Hawker Tempest?
It's from its cousin, the Hawker Sea Fury. Not sure about the size, you'll have to check that.

Here's the link.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Nov 08, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Canopy

BD,

I purchased a 9" canopy from my LHS, the same size as the Sea Fury canopy you reference. Trouble is, it needs to be ~ 7" long. I'll probably hack this one up and see what it looks like.

Thanks for the link and the source.

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Taa Daa

Still have some banjo work to do....control horns, wires, and if I can find some crystal clear labels, I'll make the MatchStick nose art. Office Max didn't have any. Also have to do something about the canopy.......

33.4 oz

Now all I have to do is muster the courage to fly her !

Oh, and I have a butt load of 1/16 sheet leftover since I didn't use it on the fuselage........I wonder if this girl is capable of towing a FF glider aloft ?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Nov 08, 2013 at 08:15 PM.