HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:07 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
Discussion
Battery/Charger Anomaly

G'day all,

I believe I have a battery/charger anomaly. I have a Loong MAX E6 charger and a Pro Peak Prodigy II charger.
Both have worked flawlessly with two and three cell Lipos, ranging from 850ma to 2800 ma.
I recently purchased a 5000 ma 3 cell Lipo, the Pro Peak Prodigy II charger will charge it no problem, the Loong Max E6 will not charge it; shows "broken connection" in the display, but will charge every other 2 and 3 cell Lipo I have.

I've not seen this problem before using Lipos and there chargers. Really not sure what the next step should be to diagnose the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
SeniorSpan is offline Find More Posts by SeniorSpan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:14 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
I am not familiar with these chargers.
Does the one that doesn't work charge through the balance leads?

Does the pack balance charge O.K. on the other charger?
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I did not use the balance lead just the + and - leads. I only use the balance lead for charging every 3rd tine or so. I give it a go.

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:37 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,845 Posts
What connector are you using on your new pack?

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:31 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,004 Posts
If it works okay with other packs, and you're not using the balance leads, it's got to be something to do with the main connectors -- a flaw which, for some reason, makes that pack's connector unreliable when used in conjunction with the E6's connector. Have you flown the problem pack successfully?

I suppose another possibility is that the E6 is simply more sensitive to poor connections than the Prodigy, and the fault is a very minor one, perhaps in a solder joint, or even inside the pack.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

To answer the questions.

I'm using a Deans connector. The pack has not been flown yet. Got it for a Quad copter, but Colorado is having unusual winds for the last several days so have not had a good window to fly.

I put the new pack back on the E6 in balanced mode and got "Connection Break" again, so will re-solder the connector. The leads are "healthy" on this size pack, so may got to different connectors.

I really appreciate the inputs, thanks again.

Cheers

Bob
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:08 AM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,845 Posts
You confirmed my thoughts in post #4.
Replace, don't resolder, your Dean's on the pack. The open resides there and soldering it again will only worsen the intermittent connection.

Rick
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
Rick,

You are absolutely correct, re-soldering did not change a thing. The pack originally came with bullet connectors; one male and one female. All my electrics are Deans connectors, so I changed the bullets to Deans. As this new pack has AWG 8 leads I will have to hit my LHS for new connectors.

A report will follow.

Cheers

Bob
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,845 Posts
This is the exact reason I have switched my large and >3S packs to APP's. No biggie on the ground but in flight?

Rick
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
This is the exact reason I have switched my large and >3S packs to APP's.
Don't say this too loudly Rick as it may cause a ruckus.

In fact, you might use really small font when declaring that you switched from Deans to APPs. This will aid in avoiding potential scorn.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
Colorado
Joined Nov 2004
268 Posts
My update as promised.

I really appreciate your inputs. Made a trip to the LHS and got some "shall remain nameless" female connectors that accommodated the 8 gauge battery leads. I also purchased corresponding male connectors to exit the new female battery connector to which I added short 4 inch leads going to a new female deans connector. Hope that makes some sense to all.
Of course I expected this to work on the Prodigy II charger and it did; I was 50/50 for the Loong Max E6, but to my surprise it worked. Just goes to prove attention to detail when soldering pays off in the long run.

As for connectors, I have found Deans connectors to be good up to a point. It's my humble opinion amps drawn or wire size, 8 gauge and up, tend to make one look at other resources.

Cheers

Bob
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:02 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSpan View Post
Made a trip to the LHS and got some "shall remain nameless" female connectors that accommodated the 8 gauge battery leads. I also purchased corresponding male connectors to exit the new female battery connector to which I added short 4 inch leads going to a new female deans connector. Hope that makes some sense to all.
The new connectors can't be APP because APP don't have male/female.

They probable aren't Deans Ultra because 8 AWG doesn't fit well and why make an adapter from Deans to Deans?

Maybe they are bullet connectors or EC5?
typeRA is online now Find More Posts by typeRA